Closed Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Reload Thread: AMP TEST RE vs Visonik vs EQ vs Fusion

  1. #1
    lauf's Avatar
    lauf is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    AMP TEST RE vs Visonik vs EQ vs Fusion

    We did a few tests in our comp car now keep in mind we had 17volt system.


    The test

    1 Beyond audio 18'' Inuman wired to 1.1ohm Aluminium
    2 GNB 8volt wired to 16volt resting voltage 17volts


    RE 35.1
    We got 63 volts out of this one, we found it need alot of input voltage!

    Visonik V900XD
    70volts out of this one also liked alot of input voltage

    EarthQuake D2 Fully Modded
    80volts out of this guy, not as much input voltage as the others, when hooked up and just sitting there the tranistors made the loudest humming and buzzing noise I have ever heard from an amp, you can tell it's either going to put out some serious numbers or JUST BLOW UP either way not bad.
    Also when burped the voltage spiked and dropped from 85 to 79 volts on each burp so after about .5 seconds the amp does not push full power, which I think is bad for these new mics.

    Fusion JL1211D
    93 volts out to place first place, you could notice each amp getting louder this one was easily the loudest for the RE to the Fusion it's like night and day. The fusion was modded to run at 1ohm and not shut down at 16.1volts everythign else was stock. Awsome amps also dampening factor is above 200 which is great for a Class D, we noticed the coils did not heat up as much and were more controlled with this amp.


    We were using a Line Driver from Rw Audio

    The gain was set about 1/3

    The RE and Visonik peaked at 22vol on the deck

    The Fusion and D2 peaked at 17vol on the deck



    Beyond audio dealer -> Perfect Tones




  2. #2
    jlaine's Avatar
    jlaine is offline Vaporware



    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Morris, MN
    Posts
    2,607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You left out a lot of variables...

    What meter and was it TRMS....

    Did you actually scope the gains to insure no clipping...

    Did you allow the coil to completely cool before attempting with the next amp...




  3. #3
    lauf's Avatar
    lauf is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The meter we used was bought at Canadian tire I don't know if it was true RMS or not which should not really matter as it is the same for each amp so it still shows which is stronger may not show true power if you want to calculate it with those numbers

    The gains were pinned on each amp and we increase deck volume each time by one until it peaked out so the volumes stated was where they started to clip

    Yes the coil was allowed to cool between testing we tested the amps several times after we knew which volumes to play each one at and the same results were recorder



    Beyond audio dealer -> Perfect Tones

  4. #4
    jlaine's Avatar
    jlaine is offline Vaporware



    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Morris, MN
    Posts
    2,607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by lauf
    The meter we used was bought at Canadian tire I don't know if it was true RMS or not which should not really matter as it is the same for each amp so it still shows which is stronger may not show true power if you want to calculate it with those numbers

    The gains were pinned on each amp and we increase deck volume each time by one until it peaked out so the volumes stated was where they started to clip

    Yes the coil was allowed to cool between testing we tested the amps several times after we knew which volumes to play each one at and the same results were recorder
    Audibility for clipping tests, especially amplifier benchmarks is a really poor regulation, human ability to pick it up is vastly variant upon the signal being used and the ear itself.

    I'd suggest you retry this test with a scope - you'll find the numbers will shift quite drastically, especially with the amount of power discussed.




  5. #5
    lauf's Avatar
    lauf is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So your saying if we put the amps on a scope and play volume 17 it will be a diffrent number?


    We did not test for clipping by listenting, it's pretty clear when you play vol 16 and get 85volts then you play vol 17 and get 93 volts then play vol 18 and you drop to 86volts you know the amp is clipping at volume 18 I don't need a scope to tell me as I can see it on my meter and yes you can even hear the difffrence but we did not judge by listening.

    We know the deck was not clipping at 17 as I have scoped the deck and it clips at vol 27

    Why do you think the numbers would be way off? Every variable was exactly the same we are testing amps to decide what amps to use for our comp car this test will effect where we spend our $12 000 on amps, there is no reason I have to fudge numbers if that's what you saying.



    Beyond audio dealer -> Perfect Tones

  6. #6
    jlaine's Avatar
    jlaine is offline Vaporware



    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Morris, MN
    Posts
    2,607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by lauf
    So your saying if we put the amps on a scope and play volume 17 it will be a diffrent number?


    We did not test for clipping by listenting, it's pretty clear when you play vol 16 and get 85volts then you play vol 17 and get 93 volts then play vol 18 and you drop to 86volts you know the amp is clipping at volume 18 I don't need a scope to tell me as I can see it on my meter and yes you can even hear the difffrence but we did not judge by listening.

    We know the deck was not clipping at 17 as I have scoped the deck and it clips at vol 27

    Why do you think the numbers would be way off? Every variable was exactly the same we are testing amps to decide what amps to use for our comp car this test will effect where we spend our $12 000 on amps, there is no reason I have to fudge numbers if that's what you saying.
    You are going to spend 12 grand on amps and cannot manage to get a $399 scope?

    Is each amp built the same?

    Does it use the same internal components?

    Does it use the same output stage?

    Does it use the same power rails?

    Power supply?

    Preamp input?

    If you answered NO to any of these, then the volume INPUT on your head unit is a completely invalid argument as each amp is not going to operate identicaly with that amount of input no matter what is on the box.

    I am not concerned with deck clipping, I'm talking about amp clipping fooling the meter into giving off false voltages. Happens all the time.




  7. #7
    nswartley's Avatar
    nswartley is offline Down and out...



    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    (Near) San Jose, CA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    josh YGPM.

    -nate




  8. #8
    lauf's Avatar
    lauf is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So your saying when i'm at volume 17 and get 93 volts out and then go to volume 18 and it drops 8volts that is not clipping?

    There is no reason you need to use a scope, I can tell by ear the it got quieter at vol 18 then 17 which means it's clipping and the meter showed less volts out

    It's a very simple test were all the variables were controlled and each amp showed how well it can do, I thought i'd post it up to give some people some info.



    Beyond audio dealer -> Perfect Tones

  9. #9
    GSteg's Avatar
    GSteg is offline Custom User Title



    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    whee!!
    Posts
    2,831
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    must..continue..with..discussion....:p



    Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

  10. #10
    buthatsabuick's Avatar
    buthatsabuick is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    fusion makes amplifiers?! ive never seen one...




  11. #11
    nswartley's Avatar
    nswartley is offline Down and out...



    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    (Near) San Jose, CA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by buthatsabuick
    fusion makes amplifiers?! ive never seen one...
    yes they make amps...here are a few http://www.justamps.com/Amp_Pages/Fu...usion_Main.htm

    -nate




  12. #12
    buthatsabuick's Avatar
    buthatsabuick is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by nswartley
    yes they make amps...here are a few http://www.justamps.com/Amp_Pages/Fu...usion_Main.htm

    -nate
    hmmm are they 1 ohm stable?




  13. #13
    nswartley's Avatar
    nswartley is offline Down and out...



    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    (Near) San Jose, CA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by buthatsabuick
    hmmm are they 1 ohm stable?
    i think that the ones that this guy tested are...

    -nate




  14. #14
    buthatsabuick's Avatar
    buthatsabuick is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    so in theroy the visonik would be a "louder" amp than the RE? i kinda wish that had incorporated the hifonics brutus since its a much more common amplifier..




Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum