Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How much better will slight spec increase sound?

WeeHooker is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How much better will slight spec increase sound?

Sorry if this has been asked before but a couple of searches haven't turned up anything close.

So , I'm running a 50WRMSx4 amp with a S/N ration of >90db and THD of<.1&#37; and am fairly content.
    Would I hear a noteable difference if I swapped it out for somthing that delivers 70Wx4RMS, S/N >100db , THD<.5%?
    I'm running decient ($150, 92DB, 90WRMS) components at (usaully) 1/2 volume with mostly accoustic, folk and classic rock. I hate to drop $200-$300 on an upgrade if the difference is in the weeds but would do it if it would be "$ well spent".
    Thoughts appreciated.

n2audio is offline OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: How much better will slight spec increase sound?

S/N and THD -- no chance you're going to hear those differences - assuming they're consistent specs

If the power difference is noticable, it won't be by much. I would expect the dynamic sounds (snare, kick drum etc.) to be the most noticable.
    It also depends on the quality of the two amps, and the actual power they produce.
    If the 50w amp is conservatively rated and the 70w amp is accurately rated then the actual power difference may end up being even closer than 20w. If the opposite is true there could be closer to a 30 or 40w difference which would be clearly audible.

See if you can find a store set up to run the same set of spkrs with different power amps. That would be the best way to find out for sure if the change will make any difference to YOUR ears.

'99 Taurus SHO (welded)
    • HU: Stock - Scosche SLC-4
    • Comps: Lanzar Opti6c w/Opti400x4d
    • Rear fill: Stock
    • Sub: Lanzar Opti1232D w/Opti1000.1d
    ebay feedback: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=en_force_r&ftab =AllFeedback

WeeHooker is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: How much better will slight spec increase sound?

Thanks much. That helped allot!

Closed Thread