Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Stetsom 2K6 vs. SAZ-1500's strapped test

All credits go to stratusrt01 over at ROE. figured i would post this up here.

http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/sh...479#post585479

Did some testing this past week, since there's so much speculation about the Stetsom amps daily abilities. Setup was:

200 amps alternator
    2 Kinetik 2400's in the back (unsure of front battery)
    Single DD 9518, tuned to 33hz

Before we get into the meat and potatoes, I felt this was a valid test because of the claims of the Stetsom putting out 3500 watts, the pair of Sundowns should have been around 1600 watts each, making it a close test.

All testing was done at rated ohmload on both amps, which is 2 ohms. The single 2K6 was at 2 ohms, the pair of Sundowns strapped at 2 ohms.

1st test was on the meter, the 2K6 was a tad louder, 0.12db to be exact at 42hz. Kind of what I expected, giving the ratings.

2nd test was daily listening. At first, the Stetsom seemed to perform well, until about 10 minutes into the listening test, it shut down. Went into protect. Let it cool off, fired it up again, same thing, around the 10 minute mark, it shut down.

Put the pair of SAZ-1500's back in, and listened for over an hour straight at the same volume levels.

So, I confirmed what I and others think about the 2K6/7KD, it's a great burp amp, but it's not suited for daily use, even at the rated 2 ohms. What I found interesting is that the current draw on the single 2K6 was higher than the Sundowns strapped, although it's fused at 200 amps, and the manual said 240 amp max draw. We measured higher than that on the burp tests. Oh, and don't try to put another brand of fuse in the Stetsom, put a 200 amp Stinger fuse in it, and it'll pop it.

llllllllllllllll Educate yourself and help stop the ignorance.
    llllllllllllllll DEA Judge Francis L Young says...
    llllllllllllllll Designing a Ported Box

refs: hazardous0388, snoopdan, karleon, thelow, freezeman_7, imtjnotu, Gebrochen, astroladespl, billabongcr , mustbenu , thunder9500 , 91ser, djdilliodon (6 times), stupify, milenko515, Zeuslicious, Bmoorman05, WaTTsLOk187, too dope 1904, nate2587, rbiele126, denalilvr

Don't Blame Me. I Voted for Ron Paul.

BluePoint Air Ratchet for sale...click me bitch

matrxx dude is offline TEAM DB UNIT

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Stetsom 2K6 vs. SAZ-1500's strapped test

hmm.... never had no problems with mine daily

REFS =adam007,guy022077(X2),ga12r,cd6551,dbman150(x2),( x2)louisiana_crx,ent3rdadragon,baseballer1100(x3),
    smd4life,i3abyjay25,bigblank69,bigsherm7272,squeak 12,mike dressure,ngsm13,grassroots,ricksmx01,ionSQL(x2),wh osaywho?,nhustlar,lilman,ryanm923,pioneerpimp,blaz eplacid,mystang,profoundwill,bumpin buick,sean dub,Zeuslicious,jared spl,jailhouseracer8,queball,2002xlt,bigbangtheory, jared530,(x2)skip01,ringo,skadude016,daghost, Cornbreadxd, blackstar602,ssackett,yunvme666, tv559,XxSuperAdamxX ,hellfire,deez283,Flastrongman,
    TEAM DB UNIT FTMFW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

but they are some current hogs,no doubt

REFS =adam007,guy022077(X2),ga12r,cd6551,dbman150(x2),( x2)louisiana_crx,ent3rdadragon,baseballer1100(x3),
    smd4life,i3abyjay25,bigblank69,bigsherm7272,squeak 12,mike dressure,ngsm13,grassroots,ricksmx01,ionSQL(x2),wh osaywho?,nhustlar,lilman,ryanm923,pioneerpimp,blaz eplacid,mystang,profoundwill,bumpin buick,sean dub,Zeuslicious,jared spl,jailhouseracer8,queball,2002xlt,bigbangtheory, jared530,(x2)skip01,ringo,skadude016,daghost, Cornbreadxd, blackstar602,ssackett,yunvme666, tv559,XxSuperAdamxX ,hellfire,deez283,Flastrongman,
    TEAM DB UNIT FTMFW!

joetama is offline The British Ear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Interesting... Very interesting...

I know I have been pretty impressed with two 1500 strapped on a BTL 15...

xtremebassjunky is offline Is it ever loud enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thats weird my 2k6 never had an y problems for daily use....

i don't know about the amp draw except that wired to 1 ohm on my 2k6 I was getting in the area of 300 amp draw.

and there are better things to do to the amp then just replace the fuse with another fuse....
    *edit* ^ to get more power.

-Head Unit: Alpine-9886
    -Front Stage: 1 set of: DDA-W6.5's, DDA-W5.2's, and 3 sets of DD-T28's
    -Amps: 2x DDc4a's and 1x DD-C2b
    -Subs: 4x DD-3515E powered by 2x DD M4 -- giving me over 10kwrms... 154+ @ 24 Hz
    -Alternator: Stock 130a + 2 x 260a @ 15v Ohio Gen
    -Batteries: Batcap 3000 in front & 8400 + 4000 in back
    Refs: Alan Dante, Thilo Stompler, Nomad40, 2000LaDe, xplicitACTS, sundownz, djman37, Hoss, SPL140.2, bmxbikes, casper97ta, SkatinBassPLaya, Bibby, SeanDub, hazardous0388, Trunk_Monsta
    Team Outcast

IgnoreMe is offline I love 2 girls 1 cup

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matrxx dude View Post
    but they are some current hogs,no doubt
    looks like that fuse they use isnt a legit 200a lol. just some 200a markings

refs: hazardous0388, snoopdan, karleon, thelow, freezeman_7, imtjnotu, Gebrochen, astroladespl, billabongcr , mustbenu , thunder9500 , 91ser, djdilliodon (6 times), stupify, milenko515, Zeuslicious, Bmoorman05, WaTTsLOk187, too dope 1904, nate2587, rbiele126, denalilvr

lilmaniac2 is offline Ask Me about SI Mag V4!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

IgnoreMe is offline I love 2 girls 1 cup

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

if anyone has questions stratusrt01 is the guy to ask. im just passing the info along since i know lots of people dont even want to visit ROE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Judging by the internals not just the output Fet's, I dont see that amp lasting long at all on a daily setup period. If you decrease the number of output fet's you will not see the output on stock rail voltage.

In order to get close to what they rate that amp at, you will need to up the rail voltage. Escentually overdriveing the output Fet's... Just like a CPU on a computer you are OVERCLOCKING it to run faster... Heat builds due to the fets over working.. You add that into play with the fact that the heatsink is really small , your stability goes to crap, and just over driving the rail will cause premature FAILURE...

Thats is simple as i can put it so everyone can understand... Yea they get away with it on BURPS and like a few have already stated in a daily setup there is NO way your going to see rated and think the amps going to last, Its just not going to happen. Then you factor in what happens to it when you run it at .35 and .75 like they proclaim to get more power and you add that stress to a already overdrivin output stage ummm its kinda scary IMO...

So with that said, Burping and competition ehhh yea go ahead... But daily for that kinda money heeelllllll NO... What a market.. You build a stripped down amplifier to capture the market on getting power out of something that small and shoot the price up making people think because Alan did it you can too... So you go and drop the chunk of money on this lil amplifier that will supposedly put out XXXX amount of power @ .XXX ohms DAILY and more for burps, Install it beat it to hell for a month and it craps on you...

But hey like i said, they got it in the bag...

They overdrive the rail Voltage to "force" the already low number of output stages "FET" 's so that it will put out what they are looking to sell...

They save butt loads of money doing this, which means the profit margin increases substantially.

They hit the market by offering something with a really small footprint to power ratio etc.. A amp that can put out Rated power with vary little current draw or at least decreased current draw... Its a WIN WIN for everybody right??? WRONG....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

alan will have a good time explaining this on termpro.lol

TEAM DB UNIT FTMFW!

SPL140.2 is offline Team DefJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

id take the sundowns over the stetsoms

Team DefJ
    http://www.myspace.com/loudinspl

WWW.JAGGEDEDGEKUSTUMVINYL.NET

REF'S:
    VOSSCHS-NJACK2AF-WOWIMZZ-DECIPHA-AZNGOTSKILLS-TRAFFICJAMZ-MILLIONARE1-QTRHORSE
    TSL13505-DJL(2)-KNOTSLCK-KYLEC-KNUKONCEPTZ(4)-KEIFERSRACING-TEAM H&K
    ANDRIZZLE-95BLACKGA(3)-MAX_POWER-POUNDINDAK69-DVRMSTRNG-BLONG131-PIMPDADDYQ
    NOPH33RACING-KPR10IS-XTREMEBASSJUNKY-ENVEE 02-J3M CONCEPTS(3)
    CONNERSDAD19(6)-SNOOPDAN(2)-SUNDOWNZ(3)-MRWIGGLEZDJ-ASTYL-BLAZIN_JASON-GOT_FOCUS?
    SPLCHOICE-DBDESIGNSELITE-JEREMY M-GLADIATOR_JAI-QTIPEXTRA(2)-BJFISH11(2)
    MEMPHISFLEX-CHA0-BBALL09124-BUCKYBOY-CURTIS1993-ICPURPLEPPLALOT-BMBORSK-P3BUMPIN-DEFJ165

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

but seriously i never had no problems outta mine.

TEAM DB UNIT FTMFW!

AudioXtremes is offline Team FatStig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

This is good stuff.

Btw, I switched from 2 stetsom 7kd's to 4 sundown 3000Ds.

TEAM FATSTIG
    Cause I just gotta be me!

lilmaniac2 is offline Ask Me about SI Mag V4!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DBDesignsElite View Post
    Judging by the internals not just the output Fet's, I dont see that amp lasting long at all on a daily setup period. If you decrease the number of output fet's you will not see the output on stock rail voltage.

In order to get close to what they rate that amp at, you will need to up the rail voltage. Escentually overdriveing the output Fet's... Just like a CPU on a computer you are OVERCLOCKING it to run faster... Heat builds due to the fets over working.. You add that into play with the fact that the heatsink is really small , your stability goes to crap, and just over driving the rail will cause premature FAILURE...

Thats is simple as i can put it so everyone can understand... Yea they get away with it on BURPS and like a few have already stated in a daily setup there is NO way your going to see rated and think the amps going to last, Its just not going to happen. Then you factor in what happens to it when you run it at .35 and .75 like they proclaim to get more power and you add that stress to a already overdrivin output stage ummm its kinda scary IMO...

So with that said, Burping and competition ehhh yea go ahead... But daily for that kinda money heeelllllll NO... What a market.. You build a stripped down amplifier to capture the market on getting power out of something that small and shoot the price up making people think because Alan did it you can too... So you go and drop the chunk of money on this lil amplifier that will supposedly put out XXXX amount of power @ .XXX ohms DAILY and more for burps, Install it beat it to hell for a month and it craps on you...

But hey like i said, they got it in the bag...

They overdrive the rail Voltage to "force" the already low number of output stages "FET" 's so that it will put out what they are looking to sell...

They save butt loads of money doing this, which means the profit margin increases substantially.

They hit the market by offering something with a really small footprint to power ratio etc.. A amp that can put out Rated power with vary little current draw or at least decreased current draw... Its a WIN WIN for everybody right??? WRONG....

GREAT POST!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Chad... Although looking at the **** thing really good... It doesn't even resemble a normal class D amp.... Almost looks like a StepUp Converter in a way....
    Last edited by DBDesignsElite; 03-09-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

User Tag List