Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Out of ideas: Sony amp cutting out.

cizbryan is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 Out of ideas: Sony amp cutting out.

Thanks for reading my post. Hopefully someone can help me out. I have a sony 4 channel amp going to fosgate componants and two fosgate coax speakers. All speakers are 4 ohms and are wired in stereo. Duh. Anyways, i'm running a pioneer 7300 hu and it supposivly has 4v preouts. My gains are set approx 25% on the front and rear channels of the sony. My volume range on my pioneer goes from 0-60. I have my gains set so that my max volume (without clipping) tops out at about 55 on my deck. I have all my eq's down on my radio such as bass +0 and treb +1, loud and all that stuff is off and I'm using the hu as a crossover at 125hz as well as the amp's crossover in case I want to turn the hu's crossover off and have a little bit more mid bass.

Anyways, my sony amp cuts out after a few mins and it is increasing in how often it does it. I've checked all fuses to make sure they're stable, and I've checked all power wires and grounds. I've checked my voltage with car on and off and i have plenty of power. I have a 700s on my subs and it never cuts off and its using the same power and ground from the same blocks as the sony.

I hate sony. I used to give the amp props because it didn't sound half bad, It sounded better than my kenwood.

thanks
    ciz

peace..

joshpoints is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Out of ideas: Sony amp cutting out.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cizbryan
    [B]Thanks for reading my post. Hopefully someone can help me out. I have a sony 4 channel amp going to fosgate componants and two fosgate coax speakers. All speakers are 4 ohms and are wired in stereo. Duh. Anyways, i'm running a pioneer 7300 hu and it supposivly has 4v preouts. My gains are set approx 25% on the front and rear channels of the sony. My volume range on my pioneer goes from 0-60. I have my gains set so that my max volume (without clipping) tops out at about 55 on my deck. I have all my eq's down on my radio such as bass +0 and treb +1, loud and all that stuff is off and I'm using the hu as a crossover at 125hz as well as the amp's crossover in case I want to turn the hu's crossover off and have a little bit more mid bass.

Anyways, my sony amp cuts out after a few mins and it is increasing in how often it does it. I've checked all fuses to make sure they're stable, and I've checked all power wires and grounds. I've checked my voltage with car on and off and i have plenty of power. I have a 700s on my subs and it never cuts off and its using the same power and ground from the same blocks as the sony.

I hate sony. I used to give the amp props because it didn't sound half bad, It sounded better than my kenwood.

thanks
    ciz

I know how you feel man. I have the same type of problem with a lightning audio amp. It stopped working and now when my stereo is on a red light turns on that says protector and no sound comes out anymore. This amp has under 3 hrs. of use on it. It never sounded very clean though. The funny part is you are saying that the sony sounded better than your kenwood and I think my kenwood sounds better than the lightning audio amp that I bought. That tells us all how bad lightning audio stuff is. I talked to lightning audio and they said that it needs to be sent in for repair. I sent them and email to see if they will cover it underwarranty, because my warranty expired 1 or 2 weeks ago. I have also learned something else. DOn't buy any decks that put out more than 4 volts at the preamp outs. Most amps are designed to handle nothing greater than 4 volts. Unfortunately my sony es deck has 5.5 volt outputs. Now I'm trying to find amps that can handle this. JBL said that this high volt output tends to cause clipping. I know this isn't what damaged the lightning audio amp, because I had it hooked up to my other deck that has like 1 volt outputs.

mattj is offline Resonant Engineering

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hmm so you have a multiple amp setup? ive heard of a goofy thing where you switch the amps locations (left to right) and (right amp to left side) and both working...cannot explain it.. but try....

mabye your sony is getting too hot. is it in an open area where it doesnt collect heat?

(SUMMER)
    2001 Ford Mustang GT Premium
    Mach460
    Alpine CDA-9835
    KnuKonceptz Wiring

cizbryan is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the help!! I think it must have something to do with heat.

I measured it with a multimeter and when its playing it reads 13.5-14.2 volts, but when it cuts off it drops down to 7 volts!! At the distribution it still reads 13.5-14.2 volts while the sony amp is off! I'm starting to wonder if it is an internal part dealing with the ground. Strangeeeeeeeeee.

Closed Thread