Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Will this work?

To be short and sweet, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to car audio. I know how to run wires and hook everything up, but when matching equipment I know nothing.

I want to know if I can get a lil more kick out of my speakers. I have a Pioneer deh-p3700mp head unit, and Sony Xplod xs-r1611 speakers, 180w peak 40w rated. I found a deal on a sony xplod XM-502Z amp, and was wondering if running it on the 100w output would be a good idea. Thoughts please?

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Will this work?

First, from what I could find on that amplifiers.......that 100w power rating is MAX power, which is utterly meaningless. The only thing that's important is the RMS (continuous) power rating, which on that amplifier appears to be 50w x 2 @ 4ohm.

Secondly, I think that if you are looking to get more out of your speakers.....the best recommendation would be to upgrade your speakers to something other than those Sony's.

But you are on the right track....ignoring your speaker selection for a moment, externally amplifying speakers is a great way to enhance your system's performance. Profile and a few others make reliable, affordable amplifier's to consider. But like I said before, I would highly suggest investigating new speaker options as well.

BrentNorin is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm. Thanks, I looked up the amp specs. 2x50w RMS and 2x60w RMS. I do follow you with upgrading my speakers, but I want to enhance what I already have. Would the amp blow the speakers at 2x50 or 2x60 rms though?

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Doubtful as long as you properly set your gain and properly set the highpass filter.

How much are you looking to spend ? I think there may be better options out there than Sony for amplifiers as well.

Closed Thread

User Tag List