Closed Thread

Reload Thread: difference between running at 2 ohm vs 1 ohm?

99grandprixGT is offline now got an 04 grand prix

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

difference between running at 2 ohm vs 1 ohm?

i know the difference as with the power it will put out will be more at 1 ohm. but i mean will the amp have to work harder to run at 1 ohm vs 2 ohm? is it fine as long as the amp is 1 ohm stable? does it take more power from my electrical system to run at 1 ohm vs 2 ohm? the reason I'm asking is because i want to get a HIFONICS BXi1606D, with 2 type R's but i don't want to run it at 2 ohm because that will only give them less than 1000 since the amp is more than likely over rated. so I'm thinking if i get the dual 4 ohm version of the subs i can run it to a 1 ohm load, and get 1000 watts plus. im either think to get that amp and the dual 4 ohm or just getting the dual 2 ohm and getting a better amp like the kicker kx 1000.1 which will actually put out 1000+watts. sorry for the stupid questions. thanks in advanced.

Lakota is offline Doesn't Know $hit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: difference between running at 2 ohm vs 1 ohm?

Decreasing impedance will make the amp work harder, this is why the amp will heat up faster (and waste energy). It's fine to run at 1 ohm if the amp is stable at that impedance.

Ben Hemp
    1992 GMC Sonoma Ext Cab NEW BUILD
    2008 MECA S1 KY State Champion, 151.0 dB
    2008 MECA S1 WorldChampion, 151.8 dB
    2010 MECA scores: 150.9 dB S2, 151.6 dB S3
    Refs: smd4life, Subst4nce, wccoug21, dacheatham, thegreatestpenn, jshak07

gweester86 is offline I've Been Called Worse

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

actually the higher the impedance the harder the amp works. think of electricity as flowing water. electricity doing work produces heat and if you lower resistance more electrical flow occurs which produces more heat. yes one ohm will give more power even on an amp thats not one ohm stable. the only difference is that a one ohm stable amp is designed with beefier guts and the extra heat does not trigger the protection circuit or damage the amp. the amps protection circuit may also perceive the extra flow of power and a short circuit or voltage problem and again shutoff the amp. remember think flowing water. this is why bigger gauge power cable speaker cable blah blah blah is always preferred, its like a fatter water hose, you can put more through it with less effort. no it will not take more power from your car. i bet you'll notice that your lights will dim in your car running at higher impedance and will remain more constant the lower you bring the resistance. its just physics. really dorky stuff but helps big time when messing with car stereo

CJL
    CJL is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gweester86 View Post
    actually the higher the impedance the harder the amp works. think of electricity as flowing water. electricity doing work produces heat and if you lower resistance more electrical flow occurs which produces more heat. yes one ohm will give more power even on an amp thats not one ohm stable. the only difference is that a one ohm stable amp is designed with beefier guts and the extra heat does not trigger the protection circuit or damage the amp. the amps protection circuit may also perceive the extra flow of power and a short circuit or voltage problem and again shutoff the amp. remember think flowing water. this is why bigger gauge power cable speaker cable blah blah blah is always preferred, its like a fatter water hose, you can put more through it with less effort. no it will not take more power from your car. i bet you'll notice that your lights will dim in your car running at higher impedance and will remain more constant the lower you bring the resistance. its just physics. really dorky stuff but helps big time when messing with car stereo

interesting.......

REFS:
    eatank,mikescanlon,BoominBeast,Pistonsfan70,90accordman,bizflawless,Mazdakid,Boyle465,LiquidClen,dman4486,
    KickerSoItBump, SPY,1000101,infamous_e46

Bought-Sold-Traded

Safe_Cracker is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is true when it comes to class A/B amps but when it comes to class D it does not apply unless going into loads not designed for. A class D is designed to run at a predetermined minimum load and running it higher does not result in a lower THD rating, this is due to the dirty power( so to speak) provided by a class D amplifier. Some class D's run 1% THD not even noticeable with a class D sub amp but now try 1% with a class A/B, highly noticeable, all frequency orientated... Polo

Refs- HopesAudio, Jason Paul, t3audios_160sdbjeep, GiantGloWorm, 97Cavy, Zeuslicious, delvryboy, duece212,blue200sx, dmxanswerand1 (banned )

Safe_Cracker :O)~

99grandprixGT is offline now got an 04 grand prix

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks allot for the answers.

edit: anyone know if the kicker kx1000.1 actually puts out whats its rated at ?
    Last edited by 99grandprixGT; 08-08-2007 at 03:25 PM.

danp129 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, Kicker makes quality amps.

Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 ohm or two ohm makes absolutely no difference, it simply depends on what load the amplifier was designed for, what the amp circuits were optimized for. Everything else being equal, an amp built for and running in 1 - ohm will behave exactly the same as an amp designed for and running in 2 - ohms.

If there was one optimum ohm load for for all amps to be run at, all amps would be built the same.

Simply buy an amp that is optimized for the load you will run it in - or the reverse - chose your speaker ohm load to fit the amp.

For Sale

Kicker C15C-4 Competition 15" 4-ohm subwoofer, new in box, old stock

Soundstream Reference 405 5-channel amplifier

(2) Parts Express DVC12 12 inch subwoofers

Send a private message to me for more details on these products.

Closed Thread