Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: DLS vs. Arc multichannel amps

innsanes is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DLS vs. Arc multichannel amps

Looking for a 4 channel amp that will have the lowest distortion when playing at high volumes. dls A4 or Arc 4150 xxk Also i want smooth warm sound. Did a search but nothing realy answered my questions. Sundown is anotther option im looking at.

RSX

ACTIVE CDT ES-630 comps
    Phoenix Gold 100.4
    Sundown 1500D
    0/1 gauge setup
    Big 3
    12" IDMAX
    Active Alpine 7998
    Kinetik HC1400

HowLowd is offline 03 Max

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: DLS vs. Arc multichannel amps

xtant 604x with noise gate and expansion module for the extra two channels

ACTIVELY: MODDING
    ALPINE|RAINBOW|RE AUDIO|MTX|DLS NOBELLIUM|MONSTER
    3 More|HP|And|I'd|Be|Dangerous.
    RIP Phonzo...04/19/08
    FEEDBACK ON CA Forums
    plugitin,MAC,Speedfreak28,Valter,6spdcoupe,teamqua kecelica,Squeak12, MoeLester, Marshallb,nismos14, HD Racing, GoingDef154,djvi0lent,Frito,plyer3

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by innsanes View Post
    Looking for a 4 channel amp that will have the lowest distortion when playing at high volumes. dls A4 or Arc 4150 xxk Also i want smooth warm sound. Did a search but nothing realy answered my questions. Sundown is anotther option im looking at.

If you want low distortion at high volumes go with the amplifier that has the highest power output within your budget that has the features you want, build quality, warranty and customer service levels you desire and is aesthetically pleasing to you. It's about that simple.

An amplifier isn't going to give you a "smooth warm sound".

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798 View Post
    If you want low distortion at high volumes go with the amplifier that has the highest power output within your budget that has the features you want, build quality, warranty and customer service levels you desire and is aesthetically pleasing to you. It's about that simple.

An amplifier isn't going to give you a "smooth warm sound".
    Sometimes highest power comes with high distortion, amp are rated diffrent and some have better crossovers/ damping then others so this is why i ask people that has some hand on experience with any of the above.

RSX

ACTIVE CDT ES-630 comps
    Phoenix Gold 100.4
    Sundown 1500D
    0/1 gauge setup
    Big 3
    12" IDMAX
    Active Alpine 7998
    Kinetik HC1400

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its like comparing a ferrari to a corvette or a mustang, powerwise they can both be in the same power range of 300-400 hp but one is actually more efficent doing so and with higher quilty. So no its not that simple. Not everything is black and white

RSX

ACTIVE CDT ES-630 comps
    Phoenix Gold 100.4
    Sundown 1500D
    0/1 gauge setup
    Big 3
    12" IDMAX
    Active Alpine 7998
    Kinetik HC1400

IamDeMan is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK, then rock on with yo bad self.

I do believe he meant "within" the companies you named. I highly doubt he would agree that you get a craig 1000 watt 4 ch amp versus DLS 200 watt 4 ch amp. You gave specific names and his response was formulated with that information you provided. Within those companies and many other notables it does boil down to which has the features and power you want for "your" budget. It is as simple as that. Any difference (if there was any) between them will NEVER be distinguished by the human ear. Neither one of the companies named will provide more "smooth warm sound" than the other if that was even possible.

If you want to just dismiss honest, truthful and **** accurate answers, then don't ask the question.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IamDeMan View Post
    OK, then rock on with yo bad self.

I do believe he meant "within" the companies you named. I highly doubt he would agree that you get a craig 1000 watt 4 ch amp versus DLS 200 watt 4 ch amp. You gave specific names and his response was formulated with that information you provided. Within those companies and many other notables it does boil down to which has the features and power you want for "your" budget. It is as simple as that. Any difference (if there was any) between them will NEVER be distinguished by the human ear. Neither one of the companies named will provide more "smooth warm sound" than the other if that was even possible.

If you want to just dismiss honest, truthful and **** accurate answers, then don't ask the question.
    DLS does have a tube amp, So your telling me that theres no diffrent in sound there? I'm sure if you know anything about tube amp it can sound smooth

RSX

ACTIVE CDT ES-630 comps
    Phoenix Gold 100.4
    Sundown 1500D
    0/1 gauge setup
    Big 3
    12" IDMAX
    Active Alpine 7998
    Kinetik HC1400

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DLS does have a tube amp, So your telling me that theres no diffrent in sound there? I'm sure if you know anything about tube amp it can sound smooth
    No one mentioned tube amps ya nitwit. You also still totally missed the friggin point!

If you are gonna start to compare toobs to SS amps then you might as well start throwing some bananas in there to compare everything to as well. However if you want MY oppinion on toobs, yes they have a slightly different sound. I personally don't care for it. The sound it adds isn't in the recording, so to me it is noise. Some prefer this introduced noise and think it adds character in the same way Vinyl does, but it isn't for me. These car audio tube amps aren't true tube amps either. The signal is handled with them, but that is as far as it goes. I also don't think DLS makes a 4 channel tube amp. Please stick with the original info you asked for. More specifically you said A4. We are answering your question based on criteria YOU posted. This is starting to look more like a trolling thread then a serious want of help or advice.

My discussions are over with you because it is obvious you know it all. Which begs the question as to why you would ask this question if you already know all the answers?

fearthisskyy is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thought you just wanted to compare the A4 to the arc XXK

refs: domeski (bought from), burnurass (bought from), schaan (bought from), need-sq (bought from)
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fearthisskyy View Post
    thought you just wanted to compare the A4 to the arc XXK
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sometimes highest power comes with high distortion, amp are rated diffrent
    At the quality level of amplifiers you are looking at, none of them will be overrated or rate their power at more than 1% THD, which is inaudible. None of them are horrendously underrated either.....if you were looking at something like the RF Power or 25-Life series this would be a different story as they output well over rated power (not that underrating is "superior", just a factor that needs considered).

and some have better crossovers/
    Which is precisely why I mentioned "features" in my post.....the crossover is a "feature".

damping
    Shouldn't be an audible difference in damping between the amplifiers. About the only time this becomes an issue is when we are dealing with true tube amplifiers (with tubes actually on the outputs and not just in the preamp).

its like comparing a ferrari to a corvette or a mustang, powerwise they can both be in the same power range of 300-400 hp but one is actually more efficent doing so
    Efficiency I considered within the scope of "features", which is again why I explicitly stated to look for an amplifier that also had the "features" (efficiency, processing, connection layout [all on one side vs opposite ends], physical size, etc) you desired.

and with higher quilty.
    I wouldn't consider either of the options you mentioned (or much within their price range) to really be of superior or inferior quality to each other.

So no its not that simple. Not everything is black and white
    Yeah, it really is that simple.

The problem is people try to make it more difficult than it really is.

I do believe the tubes are only in the preamp stage.....it's not a true tube amplifier. It has a standard solid state output section....and majority of a "tubes sound" comes from them being in the output section of the amplifier where they have a greater effect on distortion performance and damping factor.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sorry for being a **** guys, After you break it down like that , i guess it all depends on preference.

RSX

ACTIVE CDT ES-630 comps
    Phoenix Gold 100.4
    Sundown 1500D
    0/1 gauge setup
    Big 3
    12" IDMAX
    Active Alpine 7998
    Kinetik HC1400

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How were you going to be using the amplifier?

Bridged?

Bi-amping components?

Front and rears?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was planning on ditching my passive xover and going active 2 way, since i heard it can be a night and day going active

RSX

ACTIVE CDT ES-630 comps
    Phoenix Gold 100.4
    Sundown 1500D
    0/1 gauge setup
    Big 3
    12" IDMAX
    Active Alpine 7998
    Kinetik HC1400

genxx is offline Team JL Audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ARC
    12db variable x-over 55hz-5.5khz
    80 x 4 @ 4ohms

DLS
    Not sure if the x-over's are 6-12-18-24 db cannot find specific info. I would guess 12db the standard usually on built in amp x-overs.
    Filters channel A & B LP: 50-125 Hz. HP: 20-200 Hz / 60-600 Hz
    Filters channel C & D LP: 45-200 Hz / 90-400 Hz. HP: 20-200 Hz
    85 x 4 @ 4ohms

Looking at going active looks like a bit of a problem if you plan to use the x-over on the DLS to x-over your highs. Unless I am missing something on the info provided by DLS. If there was a 10x multiplier then I would say no problem.

If I am missing something here someone please correct me.

2009 USACi Basic Consumer World Champion, '09 IASCA INAC 2nd Place, 2010 MECA Finals MODEX 4th, '10 OK MODEX State Champion--Addicted to Sound Quality
    '06 F250: JL-Zapco-Pioneer
    '08 Focus-Kenwood-Zapco-ID-Hertz
    Team JL Audio, Team RAAMmat, Team Advantage Audio, Team MSE, Team Zapco

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast