Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Does my battery have ANYTHING to do with my amp not working?

Chadillac is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does my battery have ANYTHING to do with my amp not working?

Okay so my amp used to work perfectly. Then one day it just up and stopped working. Ever since my amp stopped working, when my car is not on, it completely ***** the power away from the battery. Therefore EVERY SINGLE DAY i want to drive my car i have to jump it. Eventually, it went from jumping the car daily to jumping the car EVERY TIME I GOT IN THE THING. Finally, the other day i disconnected the battery power from the amp......and no more dead battery problems!

So i ask, does my battery have anything to do with my amp not working? If not, what do yall think the problem is?

NaTo is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Does my battery have ANYTHING to do with my amp not working?

One of two thing I can think of.
    1) Your battery is old and small
    2) You need a new alternator

How many Ampere does your alternator put out and what is the power rating of the amp? I know that a 300w amplifier will demand 46A

EDIT: Also did you alter the gains or any other settings on the amp? Usually greater gains demand greater power

blackbonnie is offline The Revolution

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

now when your amp quit working, did it never turn on, or it would turn on and not do anything?

HU - Pioneer 800prs
    Mids - Peerless HDS nomex 6.5's
    Highs - Seas Prestige Alumi-domes
    Front Stage Amp - Sundown 100.4D
    Sub - SA-12
    Sub Amp - Saz-1000D
    Wire - Knukonceptz, Kicker Hyperflex

Blackbonnie References/Feedback

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackbonnie View Post
    now when your amp quit working, did it never turn on, or it would turn on and not do anything?
    it was as if it was on Protection Mode......but there's 2 lil blue lights on the side that tells you whether its POWER and PROTECTION....and Power is LIT blue and Protection isnt....so maybe it is maybe it isnt really on protection mode

As far as the amp itself...its an Audiobahn A8000T. Sorry im not a car expert im copy and pasting the specs lol

* Amplifier Type: Mono
    * RMS Power: 400W x 1 @ 4 ohms
    * THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: 0.02%
    * Bridged RMS Power: 800W x 1 @ 2 ohms
    * Speaker Level Inputs: yes
    * Preamp Outputs: yes
    * Built-In Crossovers: LP
    * Bass Boost: 0 - 18 dB
    * Frequency Response: 10-40,000 Hz
    * Signal to Noise Ratio: > 100 dB
    * Fuse Rating: 2 x 30 amps

So do you think i might need a brand new battery? I dunno how that **** all the sudden is too weak to support the amp. My system worked from like July 2005 to December 2006. I think we even put a brand new battery in my car.

*no i didnt alter any gains on the amp...i didnt even touch the thing until now.
    Last edited by Chadillac; 06-04-2007 at 01:19 PM.

jmoreno150 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

my guess would be ur alt goin bad bro ur battery should have been charging. or ur amp is conected to a constat 12v on the remote so the amp remains on. check it out. but its than likley ur alt.

...new set up coming soon...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well if it stayed on and didnt go into protect. i would check your signal wires. i know that i had one of those amps, and the signal wires were good at the amp, but they were fryed behind the HU. if you have a different rca out on your HU, try that and see if it works.

HU - Pioneer 800prs
    Sub - SA-12
    Sub Amp - Saz-1000D

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackbonnie View Post
    well if it stayed on and didnt go into protect. i would check your signal wires. i know that i had one of those amps, and the signal wires were good at the amp, but they were fryed behind the HU. if you have a different rca out on your HU, try that and see if it works.

that might be it....because one time i was on a 69 mile trip and i had my system on full blast...it wasnt hot outside it was raining....but anyways at the 68th mile my amp went into protection mode and it definitely started SMOOOKKKIINGGGGGGGGGGGG

so i turned it down and turned loud off and eventually it went off protection mode...but i still didn't turn it up to my normal volume tho until maybe the next day or too...but that was all the way in August 2006

So anyways....should i try getting new wires? Perhaps a new fuse? because the laaaaaaaaaaaaaaast thing i wanna do is buy a new amp!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well the first thing you should have checked was the fuse. so run over all your wiring, and check it good.

HU - Pioneer 800prs
    Sub - SA-12
    Sub Amp - Saz-1000D

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It sounds like you have an internal short in the amp that is draining the battery when the car is off. Since the battery has been fully drained multiple times now it may be dead now, too.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
    It sounds like you have an internal short in the amp that is draining the battery when the car is off. Since the battery has been fully drained multiple times now it may be dead now, too.
    nah the battery definitely isnt dead...ever since i unplugged the thing my battery has started right up no problem and no jumps....it just ***** the battery down while plugged up

So i should check the fuse, then the wiring, and if all else fails.....a new amp?

Hintzyboy is offline Sparks mean its working!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chadillac View Post
    that might be it....because one time i was on a 69 mile trip and i had my system on full blast...it wasnt hot outside it was raining....but anyways at the 68th mile my amp went into protection mode and it definitely started SMOOOKKKIINGGGGGGGGGGGG

so i turned it down and turned loud off and eventually it went off protection mode...but i still didn't turn it up to my normal volume tho until maybe the next day or too...but that was all the way in August 2006

So anyways....should i try getting new wires? Perhaps a new fuse? because the laaaaaaaaaaaaaaast thing i wanna do is buy a new amp!
    OK, first of all, you don't want to run most amps "full blast" for that long. Also, if you had the "Loud" setting turned on, I'm willing to bet you were clipping, also not good for the amp. If you did this often, it very well could have damaged the amp. I don't know if it could cause the problem helotaxi suggested, but I don't doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadillac View Post
    nah the battery definitely isnt dead...ever since i unplugged the thing my battery has started right up no problem and no jumps....it just ***** the battery down while plugged up

So i should check the fuse, then the wiring, and if all else fails.....a new amp?
    Check all your wiring, fuses, etc. Test the battery. Open up the amp and see if the board has been toasted anywhere. Then get the alty checked if everything else is good. I had one of those amps (never got to use it though) and I know they can be bought for cheap. I just sold mine a couple months ago for $100, so it'd be a cheap replacement if you need a new one. Just stick away from bass boost, loudness, etc. Set your gains the right way, and if it's not loud enough, you need to upgrade equipment or install. Trying to make it louder with BB and Loudness settings will just waste your equipment. You'll end up spending more money on replacements than you would have if you just upgraded in the first place

Refs:
    CarAudio.com: SlickRick, CubanAffection, trevor87, BigBirney420, Apollyon, Dinty01, TeamPSI, QtrHorse (x2), 6spdcoupe, Siddle, Smokingachicken, MisterGrubbs, Fast1One, MiniVanMan(x2), Jntar, blackbonnie, tigerf117, kasimo420, blaze383, XaznKewLguyX, SRim23, RidnClean, Team H&K, djvi0lent, jeeper07, turboaudi
    DIYMA: snaimpally
    CA.com Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327860
    Ebay Feedback http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hintzyboy79

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not your alt. It's the amp. I'll just about guarantee that the battery is damaged, unless it's a deep cycle. It may not be dead yet but it isn't at full capacity.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Closed Thread