When I reconnected the negative wire to my battery, my amp started smoking. I have everything connected the way it should be (I think) so I have no idea why it is doing this. The remote, power, and ground wires are all in their appropriate places and the sub is connected correctly as well. The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the RCA cables from the receiver to the amp. I'm scared that I'm going to set my car on fire so I have no idea what to do. I had to reduce the size of the power and ground connections in order to get them to fit in the terminals because they are 1 gauge wire. Is this what is causing the problem? Here are some pics.
Oh yeah, and the smoke is coming from the power and ground "area" of the amp.
Also, the power and ground wires aren't connected with any terminal on the end of them. I simply stripped the wires down to where they would fit in the amp terminals and I pushed them in, wrapping any exposed wiring with electrical tape. I also shined a flash light into the amp (JBL GTO1201.1 II, has a clear top panel) and nothing looked blackened or otherwise fried. There are three 40 amp fuses on the amp and an in line 120 amp fuse on the power wire next to the battery and none of them are blown.