Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Alpine PDX amps

HCCA is offline Slayer of Libs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alpine PDX amps

Has anyone used these? Any comments? How do they sound?

MikeNeufeld is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Alpine PDX amps

my bro has used the pdx1000.1 and he likes it alot to run some subs. much samller and compact and have some good features and sq to boot. my concerni is, an mrd m1005 which is so close on rating, and a hellofalot cheaper. does the job just as well.. looks pdx, power even,,, cost mrd...

mrd ftw.....

Celly is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNeufeld View Post
    my bro has used the pdx1000.1 and he likes it alot to run some subs. much samller and compact and have some good features and sq to boot. my concerni is, an mrd m1005 which is so close on rating, and a hellofalot cheaper. does the job just as well.. looks pdx, power even,,, cost mrd...

mrd ftw.....
    Yeah, I almost bought a pdx this week, then I saw the guts...

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Alpine_PDX-1.1000/

It's a nice and clean -- But for some reason it just don't come off as "beefy" enough to really cause some abuse if you need it too -- (at that price)

I'd go with the MRD -- Unless you want the 1000w across 4/2 Ohms (Like the JL 1000/1) -- I don't see the extra value... *shrug*

AAAAAAA is online now Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The thing with the PDX series is that, especially for the full range ones, you don't watse power like you would with other brands running components. You always get 100% of the power.

You also pay the premium because they have such a small foot print.

Those amps arent about power, it's about beeing compact, fitting in small places, not producing much heat and getting the max power you can.

smd4life is offline NOTHING ABOUT MEADE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Celly View Post
    Yeah, I almost bought a pdx this week, then I saw the guts...

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Alpine_PDX-1.1000/

It's a nice and clean -- But for some reason it just don't come off as "beefy" enough to really cause some abuse if you need it too -- (at that price)

I'd go with the MRD -- Unless you want the 1000w across 4/2 Ohms (Like the JL 1000/1) -- I don't see the extra value... *shrug*
    i wouldn't base my choices on what that amp looks like on the inside....i wouldn't even look at a 1k watt amp's guts, no real point, nothing special

Quote Originally Posted by thevic24 View Post
    And with this.....I will use this as an excuse to drink another beer....
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    Ref's:memphissoul4u, scottiej(x3), bassaddictj, jeepinTN(x2), Blados,lincolnls(slc720052), ssbogger, stuckinok(x2), matrxx dude, BoostedPontiac, fintheman, dbornotdb, mr. tibbs, lakota, iceteebone, WantedIsHere(HypnoticCure), Cahm Rohn, Bring97, Brian Owens, snoopysnooper, sdsport92064, annarbor84, tv559, RetroAudioinc, FJF, 01 S 10, oddiofile, stupify

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAAAA View Post
    The thing with the PDX series is that, especially for the full range ones, you don't watse power like you would with other brands running components. You always get 100% of the power.

You also pay the premium because they have such a small foot print.

Those amps arent about power, it's about beeing compact, fitting in small places, not producing much heat and getting the max power you can.
    how so?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    Ref's:memphissoul4u, scottiej(x3), bassaddictj, jeepinTN(x2), Blados,lincolnls(slc720052), ssbogger, stuckinok(x2), matrxx dude, BoostedPontiac, fintheman, dbornotdb, mr. tibbs, lakota, iceteebone, WantedIsHere(HypnoticCure), Cahm Rohn, Bring97, Brian Owens, snoopysnooper, sdsport92064, annarbor84, tv559, RetroAudioinc, FJF, 01 S 10, oddiofile, stupify

DBfan187 is offline Supa's mom was here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You'll never get 100% of any amps power when playing music.

Flipx99 is offline Violator of Terms

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I like them and would run them if they weren't so expensive. You won't get 100% power on music, but they are fairly effecient.

Black cat, white cat...all that matters is that it catches mice. -Deng Xiaoing

I do homework for money. I specialize in finance. PM me for estimates.

If someone uses me as a reference, please contact me first.

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187 View Post
    You'll never get 100% of any amps power when playing music.

I'll see the youngsters running around talking about their systems running X amount of wattage and a couple of different times I've asked how often they roll around blasting test tones at full tilt volume and when I get the blank stares that tell me they haven't a clue as to what I am talking about I quietly tell them they've never gotten even rated RMS output from their amps. It just won't happen...

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

Beat_Dominator is offline Yea, thats Mecha Godzilla

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They sound really good. Kind of dry for my tastes but clear and detailed none the less.

Comming Spring 2009

I make rear-loaded, double crabshell, isobaric enclosures.

Flipx99 is offline Violator of Terms

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Maybe for a breif second at certain frequencies in certain alignments....and the amps are underrated to begin with.

Black cat, white cat...all that matters is that it catches mice. -Deng Xiaoing

I do homework for money. I specialize in finance. PM me for estimates.

If someone uses me as a reference, please contact me first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prowler573 View Post

I'll see the youngsters running around talking about their systems running X amount of wattage and a couple of different times I've asked how often they roll around blasting test tones at full tilt volume and when I get the blank stares that tell me they haven't a clue as to what I am talking about I quietly tell them they've never gotten even rated RMS output from their amps. It just won't happen...

Celly is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smd4life View Post
    i wouldn't base my choices on what that amp looks like on the inside....i wouldn't even look at a 1k watt amp's guts, no real point, nothing special
    I know. It's just for $500-$800 range -- I was expecting something more... Like Laser Beams or Leprechauns... *shrug*

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Celly View Post
    I know. It's just for $500-$800 range -- I was expecting something more... Like Laser Beams or Leprechauns... *shrug*
    JL / series have sharks with laser beams

Celly is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smd4life View Post
    JL / series have sharks with laser beams
    Thats what I thought... But every time I tried to refill the salt water, the amp shorted out... So, I returned that piece of junk...

Aight, nuff of this.. I know, I know, "Don't Judge an Amp By It's cover/guts" -- I resend any previous statements I made about it...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast