Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Ohms and Bridging

terifi is offline your average stereo junky

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ohms and Bridging

Ok, im looking at getting a newer sub that can handle around 500w rms, most likely a elemental e12k i dont know if im gonna get the dv2 or dv4 (dual vc at 2ohm or at 4ohm)

but heres what seems like it would make sense...but doesnt jive

My rockford 500x---states it can run 4chx62.5w at 4ohms, and 4chx125w at 2ohms, then it says 2chx250w bridged at 4 ohms....now, thats all it says, although it came with a "tested" sheet that states maximum output at 642watts, at 2ohms...logically following the order i would think that i could get 2chx500w at 2ohm, but clearly there must be something that exists, causing my amp to be unable to do this....why can i not plug a sub wired for 2ohms, bridged into 2 of my channels, and receive 500 watts to it....or can i?

thanks

running 500x rockford hooked to some 10" mtx 6000

"It is never to late to be what you might have been" -George Elliot

"If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything" -Doc and George from B2TF

Rockman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Ohms and Bridging

Originally posted by terifi
    Ok, im looking at getting a newer sub that can handle around 500w rms, most likely a elemental e12k i dont know if im gonna get the dv2 or dv4 (dual vc at 2ohm or at 4ohm)

but heres what seems like it would make sense...but doesnt jive

My rockford 500x---states it can run 4chx62.5w at 4ohms, and 4chx125w at 2ohms, then it says 2chx250w bridged at 4 ohms....now, thats all it says, although it came with a "tested" sheet that states maximum output at 642watts, at 2ohms...logically following the order i would think that i could get 2chx500w at 2ohm, but clearly there must be something that exists, causing my amp to be unable to do this....why can i not plug a sub wired for 2ohms, bridged into 2 of my channels, and receive 500 watts to it....or can i?

thanks

Ok here is the deal. You amp sounds like its 2 ohm stable. Meaning a 2 ohm load in stereo mode. Or a 4 ohm load bridged mode. Hence the rating of 4x125 at 2 ohms. You can bridge the 4 channels down to 2 getting 250x2 watts. You cant bridge the amplifier and run a 2ohm load. You need to stay with 4 ohm load bridged. The power supply and output devices evidently are not beefy enough to supply the current that a 2ohm load in bridged mode would demand.. Get a pair of subs and bridge your amp and put 250 watts to each one, would sound nice..

Car 99 Toyota Solara SLE V6

HU Clarion DXZ835MP
    Front Speakers Infinity 6 1/2 Kappas
    Front Amp Crutchfield CR4X50
    Subs Kicker 12L7's
    Harrison Fmods
    Sub Amp PPI PC 2600's

MTXTANT is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon33 Just one thing

Just one thing to add to that. You want to remember that a 4 channel amp is actually 2 seperate amplifiers in one chassis. That is another reason why you can't run them @ 2 channel @ 2 ohms. In 2 channel mode you have already bridged as much as you can, and that amp must only be stable down to 2 ohms (2 ohm stereo, or 4 ohm bridged). That of course being per half.

-peace

Closed Thread