Closed Thread

Reload Thread: help with setting gains on 4 channel amp and mono class D amp

paintballer is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

help with setting gains on 4 channel amp and mono class D amp

I had a question regarding settings the gains on a 4 channel amp. Since there are two gain controls ( one gain for two speakers), should i set both gains the same. The front speakers are components and the back are coaxles. they are almost rated the same RMS. I tried setting the gain yesterday but failed miserably, because i was getting paranoid if screwing my systsem up or blowing something. I downloaded and burned a bunch of test tones, but its difficult for me. For the speakers i was using a 1000 hz test tone, and my deck is justa new basic alpine deck. I turned off BBE and turned off the subs when trying to do the gains for my speakers. I read directions on how to set gains. so first i tried finding the maximum volume output for my deck before it starts clipping. while doing this i had the gains all the way down(4v) and i slowly turned up the volume on the deck.my deck goes all the way to 35, and peopel said 25 is usually the limit for alpine decks. I could get to like 22 and the loudness was unbearable. Is this normal for it to be this loud when testing it. I didnt want to hurt my speakers or amp. Would i be able to tell if the speakers were clipping or not. and should i do both gains on the 4 channel amp at the same time or seperate. I needed help with the mono amp as well. should i use a 100 hz test tone. Its very hard to tell if its clipping cuz of rattling and other noises. Is it obvious to hear clipping in speakers and subs.

THanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

acold7dusta is offline y they stealin my bucket?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: help with setting gains on 4 channel amp and mono class D amp

disconnect the (+) speaker wire

01 Acura CL

Eclipse CD3200
    Rainbow SLC 265 Active
    Sundown: SAX-50.4D
    ..............SAE-1000D
    Diamond D6 10" d2 sub
    ...........-.80 cu. ft FG sealed

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does anybody have any help to offer me. i have tried finding out how to do this stuff for a while, and can never seem to get accruate clear answers. Disconnecting the (+) speaker wire, why do i need to know that. that doesnt relly pertain to my question.

My sound system gains have not ben set for about 1 month now, and i want the full quality of my sound system again, so i really need help. right now they are set really low, until i can find out how to do it corectly.

James Bang is offline Hand/Ear Coordination

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he said to disconnect your (+)s so your speakers will not be getting any signal while you test your gains. He's also assuming that you're getting your gains by ear and not a digital multimeter. YOu'd have to disconnect your (+) if using a DMM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, im trying to do it by ear, for both amps. When im doing the subwoofer mono amp, can i just unplug all of the speaker RCA's for the 4 channel amp, so that i can only hear the subs. and when im doing the 4 channel amp gains, can i just turn off the subwoofer via the deck controls. A few guys said that these would be ok ideas. Does he mean i should disconnect the + terminals when im setting the gains on the subwoofer mon amp. Would disconnecting the RCA's be ok considering the speakers will not given any signal at all because the will not know that anything is actually playing. If i need to disconect the + terminals, does it say + and - at the terminals. wouldnt the battery need to be unpluged. i would think the RCAs are easier.

But as far as the loudness goes. If i have the gains all the way down,and the subs off. I turn up the master volkume to about 25-26 with a 1000hz test tone on my alpine deck . Its so loud, but me and my buddies still couldnt hear distortion from 26-27. the volume goes to 35. People said 26 is where it starts to distort(clip) on most alpine decks. Do you think it might be distorting, its just hard to hear, but arent speakers eaasy to detect distorting. Help plz.

Closed Thread