Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Input voltage and amp output

badboyzx2 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Input voltage and amp output

OK, maybe this is a dumb question, but thats OK because I'm a dumb person. Anyways, on websites (like RE for example) it says the amp puts out xxxx watts at 14.4 Volts. The RE35.1D says it puts out 1580 watts at 14.4 Volts. Does this mean that if the signal its getting is 14.4 Volts, it will put that much power out? Or am I way wrong. If my h/u onlly has 2 Volt preouts, will i still get 1580 watts, or significantly less? Thanks for the help.

violator5spd is offline Post Wh0re Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    no, that's not what it means...but if that is what it meant, then we'd all be buing 10,000 watt amps just to get 500 watts lol

that's basically saying if you're electrical system is running at full output you'll get that...but i think most run at more like 13v instead of 14.4 so you'll get most of that power

- John (AIM - ViolatorJF)

2000 Dodge Neon

DEH-P9300, JBL BP600.1, eD15A.22 in 2.5^3ft sealed

badboyzx2 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thats good. That would truly **** big time if I was right. Thanks for setting me straight.

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    input voltage and power voltage are 2 different things, but you'll need both to get full power.

the voltage from your battery to your amp is the power voltage. if your amp is rated 50x2 watts RMS @14.4v, that means the amp needs 14.4v to make 14.4v (unless amp is underrated which it will put out more). you lower the power voltage, you lower the potential watts the amp could have putted out. to get the best out of your amp, run wires big enough so you don't get any voltage drops.

the input voltage is the voltage from your headunit/line-driver to your amp. it can range from about 200mV to 8v or so. generally, the more voltage you have, the less noise interference you're going to get. say your headunit puts out 4v on the preout (assuming no voltage loss through the RCA) and your gains are set to where its 4v. that means to get full power, you'll need to crank the headunit up to where it makes 4v. but when you turn down your volume, the voltage decreases. as it decrease, the amp sends less watts. less watts=decreased loudness, hence why the volume is lower. at say volume 1 out of 30, you're not even sending 1v. so the higher the voltage it sees from the headunit (turning the volume knob up), the more power the amp will make. again, more watts=louder, thats why when you turn the knob up, the volume increaes obviously.

its not always to have more input voltage (out of amp's handling capability) because your amp will go into clipping, but thats another story.

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Closed Thread