Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Another amp decision thread. (5-channels)

atoz350 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another amp decision thread. (5-channels)

Currently I have a Kicker ZX700.5 running my system. I'm looking for an upgrade, but I can't afford any Zapco, Audison, DLS, or ARC amps. I was looking at the Soundstream Picasso PCA5.540 for $239.99 on SonicElectronix but it doesn't give me enough power on the sub channel with only 180 watts. I like the other specs and I have heard really good things about the Picasso series. I find it odd though that it still has a 30a X 3 fuse rating just like my Kicker.

I also saw the Tarantula series TRA 880.5. It seems to have even better specs such as a higher S/N ratio and more power on the sub channel (400watts). for $299.99. It also has the ability to run an active setup from the amp provided you use the highpass on your head unit to crossover your mids. I havent heard anything about it though. It is a good amp? Does it put out its rated power?

The reason that I am looking around is that I want to see if there is a difference in SQ from my Kicker. My kicker was tested at a 1.2% THD which seems very high to me.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Current System:| Alpine CVA-1005|Audiocontrol DQXS Active Crossover|Soundstream TRA880.5 5 channel|
    |Scan Speak D2904/6000 tweeters (Alpine Version)|Usher 8137A 8" Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Woofer|1 Alpine Type-E 10"|

Rebuilding...
    Refs: Sold to:amedeuce

enzowho is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Another amp decision thread. (5-channels)

I have heard from several sources that a THD below 2-3% is inaudible to the human ear. I would stick with the amp you have.

IamDeMan is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you need a lot of power on the sub channel then a Memphis Belle is the way to go IMO(1100RMS on sub) or an RF Power1000 25 to life edition(800RMS on sub). The RF is more money and is the route I am going. The RF cost more making the Belle a better buy, but I like the RF for some reason.

Another choice is a 5 channel directed which gives 600RMS on the sub channel and is inexpensive.

atoz350 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bump for more opinions...

Current System:| Alpine CVA-1005|Audiocontrol DQXS Active Crossover|Soundstream TRA880.5 5 channel|
    |Scan Speak D2904/6000 tweeters (Alpine Version)|Usher 8137A 8" Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Woofer|1 Alpine Type-E 10"|

Rebuilding...
    Refs: Sold to:amedeuce

mazdakid is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

i have an xtant 604x 6 channel in my garage. dont know if its anything like what your looking for though

traded-pickup1, power-fanatic07, fbi90909
    sold to-superspank, dumple, JoeRa22, sub-FATHER, TrlcKed_OuT, rosrock, dcole18, RaiN, BassAddictJ, tommyk90, MANTI5, Micah_Jones, mrflamboynt, g6ryder, rebelfromva, n8skow

Worlddre is online now Big Darkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

604x = 4 channel

"humility in the face of overwhelming genius will obviously amount to hypocrisy"

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by atoz350 View Post
    The reason that I am looking around is that I want to see if there is a difference in SQ from my Kicker. My kicker was tested at a 1.2% THD which seems very high to me.
    That level is inaudible. Don't waste your time and money switching amps for that reason....a reason you can't even hear.

Now, if you want to switch to gain something important, like more power....then that would be a good reason.

Closed Thread