Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kenwood amps anygood?

My local audio installer was talking about putting some focal 6.5's in my acura RSX, along with a kenwood 5 channel amp to drive them. He said it was about 50Wxchannel. How are kenwood's these days and would i benefit significantly spending more? The speakers were supposedly about 300/pair which i suspect means their either the polyglass or polykevlars..

I dont mind spending a bit more if it is worthwhile, but i'm not looking to spend a fortune either. So far the above with a sub will run around 950 installed he says (which i dont have a problem with).

-Yrrk

Yrrkoon is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm judging by the amp pricing he mentioned (300ish), i'm guessing it's not an excelon he was thinking of. best excelon multichannel i could find is $419 online.. i'd better clarify what the exact parts are.

-Yrrk

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    heard the focal access and poykevlar's today. I thought the kevlar's were too crisp and treble-like personally. Probably good if you have a kicken system for competitions but i'm more after a ******* replacement system to whats stock in my rsx. So the access seemed more appropriate.

Similarly i'm wondering if excelon is just overkill or even worthwhile.. Is there a good amp choice other then the kenwood non excellon's? say if i'm looking for a 5 channel 50-60W amp or thereabouts? Or should i jsut buy a nicer one like an excelon? My pseakers will be 6.5's and my sub prolly just a small 10" box (single sub)..

thx!

-Yrrk

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://thezeb.com/caraudio/us_acoustics.html

i think these amps will do a better job than the regular kenwood models. they push out more power than rated at. get these and save the money to buy kickpanels. spend more money on the kickpanels since they are going to be more noticable than amps. a speaker with a GREAT amp in stock location would not sound as good as a speakers with a GOOD amp in kickpanels. imaging and staging is more important than amps. if the amp puts out enough power, why bother to get something more expensive when its going to do the same?

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Jmac
    You stole my bit, you bastard LOL

I recommend US Acoustics, as well (I'm usually the one who recommends it in the first place, though ...)
    whatcha talking about? i recommened us acoustic amps ever since they were on sale at crotchfield. of course i haven't been here as long..

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So say i go with focal polykevlar's up front (6.5 components), and infinity kappa 62.5i's in the rear.. Followed up with a CDT MS-100 10" sub in a sealed enclosure in the back. Which US Acoustic's would you run? a USX4065 for the fronts (65Wx4) or the USX4085 (85Wx4)?

the polykevlar 165k's say max power 160W and nominal power handling 80W..
    the infinity kappa 62.5i's claim recommened rms power 75W with peak 225W..

So the USX4065 for the fronts and a USX2050 (50Wx2) for the sub bridged? CDT sub claims 150W RMS power.. so maybe even the USX2080 (80Wx2)?

appreciate the feedback! think it'll sound good?

-Yrrk

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also how would i get a remote bass control for the sub if i went with something like the USX2080 to power it? Some amps seem to come with them but what do you do when it doesnt and dont want to spend money on an expensive crossover?

-Yrrk

nswartley is offline Down and out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Jmac
    I would probably go with the USX4065 ... not because the speakers can't handle the power, but because it'll be more balanced with the single 10" sub

Anyways, I would choose the US Acoustics USX2080 for the sub
    lol when i was thinking bout gettin a jbl 40x4, you said "no get a us acoustics usx4065" and then like 1 hr later i got that. jmac's words pierce one's mind like a sword of....steel!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well actually i do need one.. or some way to control the sub's output. Sometime's i'm in the mood for more sub and sometimes less. Also the fiance finds subs in particular annoying and i'd rather not crawl to the back, find the amp and adjust the gain to accomodate her.

also i'm going to be getting the feeds off the stock deck (hi's.. ouch!). so it's not like this is a perfect world anyhow. perhaps some of the gear is overkill?

-Yrrk

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That would be great jmac btw i greatly appreciate your help!

i could, i suppose, add that crossover since it has a remote bass control (the us acoustics one)

-Yrrk

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    jmac:

that brings the price up quite a bit since the 2 channel's are only 80 bucks or so. Why not just get the US Acoustics SX-466 5 channel Electronic Crossover w/ remote bass control, which i presume not only gives me my remote base control but also the ability to use the high inputs off the stock deck?

-Yrrk

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    any recommendation on a 5ch or 6ch amp with remote bass control if i wanted to stick to a single amp?

-Yrrk

Closed Thread

User Tag List