Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Alpine PDX Series, or MRV vs ARC/DLS

CBRworm is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alpine PDX Series, or MRV vs ARC/DLS

I do not want to start a war on whether an amp can have SQ or not.

That said, comparing the MRV-F545 to the PDX4.150: aside from the power differences - which is supposed to be a better amp?

I am not completely comfortable with the idea of a full range Class D SQ amp, but it looks like this is placed higher in the heirarchy than the MRV-F series. I am also not completely comfortable with an amp that allegedly runs so hot (I thought class D amps could run cooler?)

I am looking for a clean, high power 4 channel amp. It needs to be reliable, not overheat - and put out lots of clean power at a 4 ohm load. It does not need any signal processing or crossovers.

I am leaning towards a couple of DLS A4's or Arc 4150-XXKs. but I am wondering if I would be able to tell the difference between the DLS/ARC or an alpine PDX/MRV. I can get the alpine stuff much cheaper, and I think the MRV is fan cooled - since the amps are mounted in the trunk of a black car - fans are probably a good thing.

I have used alpine 2 MRV-F400s for many years with good results. I got sick of replacing the output transistors on them (I still have a few new sets left). I finally replaced them with the Mmats I have now (and am happy with except for their size/heat output) I bought an MRV-F540 a couple years ago with the intent of replacing 2 of the Mmats, but it was obviously lacking (in power) so I put the Mmats back in. I did use, and like the MRD-501, but I was only driving a single DVC 10 with it - not much stress, and not much heat - but I had some strange feedback causing subsonic noise if the sub filter was off.

My goal is to run my 3 way front stage fully active, and a rear channel, and a sub. With the equipment I have now that is 5 big 2 channel amps. My G35 doesn't have enough room. I would like to get that down to 2 or 3 amps.

As I said before - I want excellent sound, and reliability. I drive about 50K a year, I need amps that can run all day at high volume and not go into protection or melt. I only run 4 ohm loads other than the sub - so I shouldn't be stressing them too much. And they don't get the luxury of air conditioning, or even much airflow over what they can generate themselves due to fans or convection.

Any input would be appreciated.

'06 G35 6MT Sedan - now bose free -- Alpine IVA-W200 w/ H701, C701, and TR7

DLS Iridium IR3 and IR1 and Adire Extremis 6.8 front stage
    Arc Audio 4150XXk for mids and tweets
    Arc Audio 4150XXK Bridged for all 4 midbass's
    Adire Extremis 6.8 back doors for added kick.
    JL12W6V2 in a 1cf sealed w/ PDX1.1000
    everythings deadened.

Refs: Bodegabay, 250+ (100%) on ebay with same username.

04 CBR1000RR - SOUND SYSTEM BY MICRON

FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Alpine PDX Series, or MRV vs ARC/DLS

So you want to run 4 way active plus a rear channel? So 9 channels of amplification?

I wouldn't be too concerned about Class D on non-sub drivers.

I had a MRV-f345 and it ran hot. Just my experience. The fans on those don't come on until 172.5*

My A5 ran a 2 ohm load and pair of mids at 4 ohms and got warm to the touch and thats about it. They have fan ports built into them

If you can get the PDX amps for cheaper, then go for it. But you will be darned to find a better amp than either the XXK or Ultimate series lines. Both are solid and backed by great customer service IME. They are both superior in sound and quality than Alpine IMO.

Then nice thing about the PDX is that they are stackable. The nice thing about the DLS's is that they fit end to end seamlessly.

Good luck!!

TEAM Front Fill

The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
    I wouldn't be too concerned about Class D on non-sub drivers.

The concept isn't knew. Full range class D amplifiers have been around for decades. For whatever reason they haven't caught on much in car audio, but they are used extensively in home audio applications.

You won't be unhappy with any of those choices. If you can get the Alpine for cheaper, I would go with those. Especially since you will have so many channels and your desired space constraints, and the Alpine's are pretty darn small amplifiers that are easily stacked for some good real estate savings.

CBRworm is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I will probably go with an A4 for the mids and highs. I expect they should match the iridium 3 ways I have pretty well and possibly use one of my current SQ2150 (2x 150w) amps for the bass channel in the front. or I may get another A4 and run the front bass, and the rear fill. I can use one of my existing amps for the sub.

I like the idea of the small stackable 4x150 alpines, but I suspect they may not be fully 'cooked' yet.

'06 G35 6MT Sedan - now bose free -- Alpine IVA-W200 w/ H701, C701, and TR7

DLS Iridium IR3 and IR1 and Adire Extremis 6.8 front stage
    Arc Audio 4150XXk for mids and tweets
    Arc Audio 4150XXK Bridged for all 4 midbass's
    Adire Extremis 6.8 back doors for added kick.
    JL12W6V2 in a 1cf sealed w/ PDX1.1000
    everythings deadened.

Refs: Bodegabay, 250+ (100%) on ebay with same username.

04 CBR1000RR - SOUND SYSTEM BY MICRON

Closed Thread