Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon33 Powerful 4-Channel For Whole System

Hey, I'm getting a new system and would like to get just one amp to power everything. The speakers are the Kicker Resolution RS5 5.25" components (90w RMS max) and the sub is a Pioneer Premier TS-W1241 (500w RMS max). The receiver is the Kenwood KDC-MPV7019, which I think has 2.3 volt preouts. I'm new to car audio stuff, but a few friends have told me that a 4-channel amp would be the way to go for this setup. Also, from what I've researched, the most a 4-channel will be able to give is around 75w per channel; if I bridge 2 of them to this sub, will it give enough bass for me to feel? Also, I've read about 5-channel amps, which sound like they would be good for this setup. The Lightning Audio S5.700 seems like a good one. If anyone knows of a 4 or 5-channel amp that will give a good amount of power to all the stuff, or has another opinion on what to do, please let me know.
    Last edited by FullThrottle7; 12-13-2002 at 12:55 AM.

FullThrottle7 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone seen the Lightning Audio S5.700 or anything else that is manufactured by them? Supposedly, they are a branch of Rockford Fosgate, which I think is about the biggest name in car audio (don't know anything about their amps, though). Their website is www.lightningaudio.com for anyone who would like to check it out. It seemed like a good way to go. 75w x 2 for the front channels, 45w x 2 for the rear channels, and 250w for the sub. Those are all into 4 ohm loads, too. Let me know what you guys think about it. Thanks for the other ideas, Jmac, I'm looking into the whole USX line. I'm a little pressed for money, though, and I don't know if I'll be able to do two amps and wiring for each.

n2audio is offline OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    So do you have 2 pairs of 5.25's? That wasn't clear from the beginning.

I think Lightning stuff is definitely in the realm of possibilities. Maybe slightly over-rated from what I've read, as is most, or at least a lot of lower cost stuff. Lightning is to RF power what Optidrive is to Lanzar Vibe

JBL makes some very affordable amps.

Autotek makes some nice low cost stuff. The SS series

US acoustics stuff gets a lot of praise.

Oh, the Lanzar vibe stuff might be worth considering. I used it a lot when I was building up my system. Very good for the money. Especially the vibe 430 $150 shipped and will do about 90x4 rms (actual).

'99 Taurus SHO (welded)
    • HU: Stock - Scosche SLC-4
    • Comps: Lanzar Opti6c w/Opti400x4d
    • Rear fill: Stock
    • Sub: Lanzar Opti1232D w/Opti1000.1d

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I didn't realize that the wiring was that expensive. I agree that I probably should get an expensive amp that is high quality, but the setups you mentioned just don't meet my budget. I can get the LA S5.700 for about $160 and that would give a perfect amount of power to everything. I have a question about the 5-channels, though. The specs list them as having 2 front channels, 2 back channels, and one sub channel. Does this mean that the one sub channel is like having 2 channels bridged (Its listed as being 250w into a 4 ohm load as opposed to the front channels which are 75w each)? Also, on the Lightning Audio website, there is an amp that has a special feature for subs. It is a 4 channel, but is meant for higher watt output in the rear channels. The model is the s2.800.4 and it is part of the Strike series. It says that the front channels get 60w each and the rear channels get 150w each, but are 600w x 1 when bridged. This doesn't sound right to me. How can you go from 150 x 2 to 600 x 1, twice the power? Any light that you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    BTW, the system is going to be Kicker RS5 5.25" comps for the front (90w RMS max) and a Pioneer IMPP Pro TS-W1241C (500w RMS max) for the sub. The sub is 4 ohms, but I can get it in a DVC, too. If your ideas require that different voice coil setup, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    Originally posted by FullThrottle7
    Ok, I didn't realize that the wiring was that expensive. I agree that I probably should get an expensive amp that is high quality, but the setups you mentioned just don't meet my budget. I can get the LA S5.700 for about $160 and that would give a perfect amount of power to everything. I have a question about the 5-channels, though. The specs list them as having 2 front channels, 2 back channels, and one sub channel. Does this mean that the one sub channel is like having 2 channels bridged (Its listed as being 250w into a 4 ohm load as opposed to the front channels which are 75w each)? Also, on the Lightning Audio website, there is an amp that has a special feature for subs. It is a 4 channel, but is meant for higher watt output in the rear channels. The model is the s2.800.4 and it is part of the Strike series. It says that the front channels get 60w each and the rear channels get 150w each, but are 600w x 1 when bridged. This doesn't sound right to me. How can you go from 150 x 2 to 600 x 1, twice the power? Any light that you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm still missing the point of a 5 ch amp. It sounds like you just have a pair of 5.25's and a sub, right?
    That would tell me a 4 ch would be the way to go. 2 ch to the 5.25's and 2 bridged to the sub.

On the S2.800.4. Actually, most quality amps will have similar specs.
    You said the sub channels are 150x2 -- that is a 4 ohm stereo rating. When you drop it to two ohms stereo, power will double - for a nice amp --> 300x2. Then when you bridge it to 4 ohms mono that 2 ohm stereo power is combined into 600x1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    my new idea:

Lanzar vibe 430 -- 80 or 90 watts a piece to your 5.25's & a little under 300 rms to your sub. 8 ga wire will provide enough current for it, and it costs $150 shipped (new).

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I see what you guys are saying about not needing the back channels. The only reason I was looking at the 5 channel is because it provided 75w to each side of the comps and supposedly would give 400 to the sub. That sounded more powerful than 85w to each speaker and then around 250w after bridging two channels on a 4-channel amp. It sounds like the 4-channel would be easier to wire and would be more reliable, so I should probably go with that. Has anyone looked at the LA S2.800.4 with the staggered outputs (60w to the front two channels and 600x1 for the back channels bridged)? This seemed to be a perfect compromise between the two types of amps. Heres a link to the site with the specs: http://www.lightningaudio.com/products/

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One more quick question, around how high of RMS do I need to give this sub to be able to feel it bump?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How hard would it be to wire the two amps together? My car is pretty old and although we got a new alternator and battery, I'm kind of nervous about tapping too much power from it for the stereo. Would two mid-sized amps like these take a lot of power?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would I need to buy two seperate wiring kits then, or is there a way to hook both of the amps together from the same power source?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If I bought an amp that put out more power than the max for the speakers (like something with 100w per channel), but never turned the volume way up, would I still be in danger of blowing them? What do you think of n2Audio's idea in the Lanzar Vibe. There are several different models on ebay that put out lots of power that would satisfy the speakers and the sub?
    Last edited by FullThrottle7; 12-13-2002 at 07:51 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jeez, Jmac, thanks again for all of your help. This is making the process much smoother and more importantly; inexpensive

turbo is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    try a memphis belle might be overkill though

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I need a quick evaluation/opinion of this amp:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1944609872
    http://www.carsound.com/reviews/amps/S4_600.html

I realize that two amps would be better for this system, and that the USX-4085 would be the best 4-channel, but this is about the budget that I have right now. The reserve is only $120, and I don't see many people bidding on it. 60w x 2 to the front channels and about 375w x 1 for channels 3/4 bridged.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List