Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 2 amps, 1 cap what to do???

Primetime is offline Senior Hoopster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 amps, 1 cap what to do???

Ok peoples... I started out wanting just a lil something something.. this whole thing has turned out to be a monster..

nothing is installed yet but I will be running two Xtant amps, a A6001 at 2ohms (600+ watts) and a smaller xtant 2 channel amp, (cant remember the model but its 50x2). but it will be running at 2ohms as well so 100x2

I also have a 1farad lightening audio cap (bolt series)

Now the Question.. HOW DO I DO THE POWER WIRES? What else do I need? What Gauge should they be? I wil NOT be upgrading my system for quite some time unlike many others.

PLEASE HELP..

D

OHHH also I have a rockford fosgate 4awg amp kit with the inline fuse.. (I would like to use it since I am stuck with it. But if I need to upgrade please let me know.

D

abcdefg is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    im gonna say u need 1/0 power wire with a distributor that breaks off into 8 gauge and 4 gauge, i dont know how to wire the cap, and i aint to sure on the wiring

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Jmac
    Here's what you do ...

Run power wire to the A6001 ...

Run power wire to the 2-channel amplifier ...

Mount the cap ...

Or throw it away ...

Bolt series is going to hurt your car's electrical system, not help it ...

Would any cap hurt my electrical system? or is it just that model? What does it do to hurt it? <----knows nothing about caps

D

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok everyone,,, I have a cap for sale... LOL

Anyways... you think that 4gauge wire will do ok? So I should run it to a fused distrubution block then send out 4gauge to the amps too night? not drop it to 8gauge after the fuse? I only say that because I see alot of (most) the blocks I see for sale do downgrade the size after the fuse.

thanks a ton
    D

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    well if u use a wire that is to large it isnt going to hurt anything....but i would recomend trying to find a distrobution block that has one 4ga input and at least one 4ga output and at least one 8ga output.....that way u can run 4ga to the larger amp and 8ga to the smaller....peace

jjoven1225 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Jmac
    Here's what you do ...

Run power wire to the A6001 ...

Run power wire to the 2-channel amplifier ...

Mount the cap ...

Or throw it away ... <--- THATS FUNNY

Bolt series is going to hurt your car's electrical system, not help it ...

hehe lol you're funny!!! what's wrong with monster caps?? i think it says low esr

Savant is offline Duke of DOH!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by jjoven1225
    hehe lol you're funny!!! what's wrong with monster caps?? i think it says low esr
    Well, from what I gathered from the discussion on the 'cap' thread (it's looooong and strays from the point a lot I think)..

A cap will help keep the voltage/power constant for a 'very' short time .. during a heavy bass hit for example.. As the system drops in voltage to accomidate the spike, the cap fills the gap.

Now, for the 'bad' part (as I understand it).. Your alt can only put out so much juice for the system to **** up.. For the cap to work, it has to **** juice until it's full, then it has the ability to help in a spike.. but keep in mind that smoothing the spike uses juice from the cap so the cap will **** juice again right away until it's full again. Now, if you are running your stereo very close the the max that your alt can produce, you will be hitting spikes, the cap will try to fill it, then **** juice.. but you have most of it tied up in the stereo.. eventually the entire system is at a lower voltage level (cap too) and the alt keeps trying to generate juice. And, if you run your alt at max output... it seems they burn out... and running some things at too low of a voltage might be a bad idea too..

The only time I can see a cap being a good thing is when you listen to music that is generally reasonably under the alt max but has occassional spikes that would go over the max for the alt.. when the system goes back to, say 75% , of the alt max, the cap can recharge and the alt isn't overly stressed.. The spike is covered with the cap and all is good in the world.. but if the music norm is very close to the alt max.. time to get a bigger alt..

I think the real 'danger' is thinking the cap can protect your system or augment the alt. But when you run at the max your alt can produce the cap quickly has diminishing value and the alt can burn out.. I also would guess that if a cap is made poorly, there might be issues for the charging system (though, most 'good' caps probably won't hurt your system)

So, the general idea is, if your system is constanly dimming your headlights and stressing the limits of the alt, it's time to get a bigger alt, not a cap.....
    Last edited by Savant; 12-08-2002 at 02:39 PM.

rain377 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hell yeah that was a lot of reading lol

Closed Thread