Closed Thread

Reload Thread: HELP! Just got my stuff installed and I think there are a number of problems!

mav2002 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HELP! Just got my stuff installed and I think there are a number of problems!

Okay, so first off, as a disclaimer, I know very little about car audio. However, I know enough to realize that after spending a ton of money on my install, I don't think it came out 100% correct. Here is what I am running:

Cabin:
    Front speakers - Diamond Audio Hex S500s
    Rear speakers - Diamond Audio Hex S00s
    Amp - Phoenix Gold Tantrum 600.4

Trunk:
    Sub - 2 Phoenix Gold 12" Titanium subs
    Amp - Arc Audio 1500D-R

Problems:
    1. These two 12" subs put together, running at 1000 watts, doesn't sound as loud as my cheap-*ss JL Audio 10" 10W0 running at 150 watts. I don't think that is right. Even in a different car, when I open the trunk and listen, it doesn't hit as deep or as loud. That can't be right.

2. My front left speakers, at the same volume, are softer than my front right speakers.

3. When I turn the BALANCE to the far RIGHT, all speakers shut off. When I turn the BALANCE to the far LEFT, it's as if the it was in the middle.

4. I get very little to no BASS out of my cabin components. From what I remember, the Diamond Audio Hex series, though they won't perform like a sub, will still put out a good amount of bass.

Other misc info:
    1. Got all RCAs redone in the car with Phoenix Gold RCAs
    2. Using 4 gauge Phoenix Gold power wires
    3. Using 2 Hi/Lo Converters made by AudioLink (powerlink II)

HELP!!!!! What should I tell my installer (other than what I have already listed)

Thanks in advance!

Mark_ab is offline The Alpha Male

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: HELP! Just got my stuff installed and I think there are a number of problems!

Originally posted by mav2002

1. These two 12" subs put together, running at 1000 watts, doesn't sound as loud as my cheap-*ss JL Audio 10" 10W0 running at 150 watts. I don't think that is right. Even in a different car, when I open the trunk and listen, it doesn't hit as deep or as loud. That can't be right.

If you're talking about the TiTanium Elite subs (the BIG SOB's) they are dual 2ohm. So I have to assume they wired it at 2ohm, so each sub should be seeing about 500W or so. Could be the gain level on the amplifier, they may have turned it down for the break-in period.

2. My front left speakers, at the same volume, are softer than my front right speakers.
    The gain level on the 4 channel amp is no the same, just match them up.

3. When I turn the BALANCE to the far RIGHT, all speakers shut off. When I turn the BALANCE to the far LEFT, it's as if the it was in the middle.
    They don't have the speaker wires hooked up correctly on the amplifier.

4. I get very little to no BASS out of my cabin components. From what I remember, the Diamond Audio Hex series, though they won't perform like a sub, will still put out a good amount of bass.
    You are refering to midbass. That is dependant on where you have each component set crossed over. Either the amplifier is responsible, or the the HU.

In any of these cases it's the installer's fault. Take it back and explain what's wrong, and they should realize they screwed up.

Very nice system, btw.

Is this not a reasonable place to park?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: HELP! Just got my stuff installed and I think there are a number of problems!

Thanks for the info! They are NOT the Titanium Elites.....they are the regular Titanium line which come in SVC 4Ohm or DVC 4Ohm. My one fear is that they wired them together at 8Ohm and it is getting 1/4 the power and that is why it is not loud.

In terms of your other recommendations, I will definitely take that to the installer. I already called them and have another appt. They are pretty cool and have a lifetime warranty on all install work.

I'm still not sure about the gain setting for the 4-channel amp because they have 2. One for the front and one for the rear. If one of the gain settings control both front speakers, why does one front speaker sound louder than the other at the same volume setting? Weird!

Mark_ab is offline The Alpha Male

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Re: HELP! Just got my stuff installed and I think there are a number of problems!

Thanks for the info! They are NOT the Titanium Elites.....they are the regular Titanium line which come in SVC 4Ohm or DVC 4Ohm. My one fear is that they wired them together at 8Ohm and it is getting 1/4 the power and that is why it is not loud.

In terms of your other recommendations, I will definitely take that to the installer. I already called them and have another appt. They are pretty cool and have a lifetime warranty on all install work.

I'm still not sure about the gain setting for the 4-channel amp because they have 2. One for the front and one for the rear. If one of the gain settings control both front speakers, why does one front speaker sound louder than the other at the same volume setting? Weird!
    Which impedance are the subs you have? It's hard to be sure about the 4 channel amp just because of how they have it wired.

Is this not a reasonable place to park?

dreid is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    take it bad, demand your loot back and go to another shop, thats just too many problems especially seeing you said u paid a ton of loot for the install!! ask them to fix it all or u want your money back

Dave Reid
    SoundWerx

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Re: Re: HELP! Just got my stuff installed and I think there are a number of problems!

Originally posted by Mark_ab
    Which impedance are the subs you have? It's hard to be sure about the 4 channel amp just because of how they have it wired.
    The installer is on vacation for 2 weeks, but the sales manager believes it is a DVC 4Ohm wired to 4Ohms, then bridged to 2Ohms. That is the setup I want, but still not certain why it isn't very loud. I'm taking it back and they will redo the wiring and check the other problems. Just bummed that it isn't perfect the first time.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Jmac
    Sorry, but two DVC 4 ohm subs can't be wired to two ohms ... they can only be wired to 1, 4, or 16 ohms ...
    If the two DVC 4s are wired to 4Ohms.....when bridged to the 2-channel amp, doesn't it go to 2Ohms?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After talking to tech support at Phoenix Gold and Arc Audio, looks like they both believe that from the symptoms, my installer just hooked up the Hi/Lo converters wrong. They think it is a simple fix and that it's not big deal....according to them, "it happens." I sure hope that is the problem.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Jmac
    So they're in 2 ohms stereo then ? That's not bridged :p
    I guess. Not really sure. But the tech guy at Arc Audio told me to have them "meter" the subs and make sure they are set at 4Ohms. He said that when hooked up to the amp, because there are 2 of them, the amp will run at 2Ohms. I don't really understand it, but I'm hoping it works.

Other than that, the Hi/Lo converter thing seems to be the major problem. Looks like they were wired "out of phase" so the majority of the signal is not getting to the subs and rest of the speakers. That would explain why it doesn't sound good. Hopefully nothing else is messed up!

Closed Thread