Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Multi-Channel Amp Advice???

nrgy is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Multi-Channel Amp Advice???

I'm looking for a 4 channel amp to power my system. Currently speakers are stock but I'll soon be replacing them with MB Quart Premium Components, probably the 2 way 6.5" woofers and tweeter at first.

The current amp I have is a Nokia 40 x 4, but I've been told the amp really puts out around 20 x 4. I can't decide whether to go with the JBL P80.4 which puts out 40 x 4 @ 4 ohms or step up to something a little bigger, perhaps around 60 x 4. Obviously more power would be ideal, but it seems from the JBL's price tag of around $140, I would have to spend nearly $100-200 more for a 60 x 4 or 75 x 4 amp. The other brands I'm looking at is a JL Audio 300/4 or PPI.

I'm not after the best, and I've heard the JBL amps are great for the price and even underrated. Just wondering if the 40 x 4 would be sufficient, and if I would hear a significant difference if I stepped up to the next size.

Thanks.

Brock is offline SEXYTIME!! NIIICE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you are running the 6.5 components off of the amp I would recommend stepping up the wattage a lot. 40w to those speakers wont do them much justice, I would say go for about 75w or something in that range. As far as the amps you mentioned go, I can't say anything about the JBL 80.4 because I have never had or used one, although they do look sort of appelaing to me. However I can recommend a PPI amp, I have used them a few times and they are very nice and moderately cheap.

Oh, and one last thing...stay away from JL amps. They arent that bad, but for the price you can get better.

nrgy is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, thanks for the advice.

I was checking out some PPI amps on eBay, and for around $250 the only thing they offer is a 40 x 4. I think I'd rather go with the JBL for $100 less. The next size up, which I think is around 60 x 4 is around $330 which is more than I want to spend.

I was checking out the Alpine MRV-F340 however, which is rated 55 x 4 @ 4 ohms, and this is priced around $260 on eBay. I might be willing to spend the extra $$$ for this amplifier if it would be worth it.

So it seems to stay within my budget of around $250 max., my best options would be to go for the JBL P80.4 or the Alpine MRV-F340. Unfortunately I probably won't get be getting full potential out of the speakers with either of these amps, but is the extra 15 watts of the Alpine worth the extra $120? And yes, I agree, even though it may be underpowered the JBL does seem very appealing.

Thanks!

Closed Thread