I'm trying to find the right amp solution for my needs but I'm having some difficulty choosing between brands and also the type of setup I should go with. I need an amp or amps to drive 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, and 1 12" JL sub. I'm not looking for a whole lot of wattage, just something around 50-70W for the 4 speakers and 150-200W for the sub. It's an older JL with a rating of 125W. I used to have 125W running to it and it suited me just fine. My original thoughts were to go with a 5 channel amp and I had pretty much decided on the Hifonics Z8000. But, I got to thinking that if my wife drove the car she may not like the bass. So, I was thinking that If I use 2 amps, I can probably put a switch on the sub amp and be able to turn it off. Now this is where I'm stuck. I don't know whether some brands are good or not. I don't want to spend a fortune as I'm only looking for good sound quality. I've seen that coustic, cadence, SPL, and power acoustik are fairly inexpensive, but I don't know much about these brands in terms of quality. I'm also not sure whether I should run a separate crossover or use the ones that are on the amps. One feature I like on some crossovers and amps is the remote bass control. Maybe these are useless and someone can set me straight on the matter, I don't know, but it seems like it would be nice to adjust the bass a little from the front.

So let me know your suggestions on amps and whether or not I should use a separate crossover. And please don't just say "X" brand amp *****. Give me a reason so I can learn why a certain brand is crap.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I need some help and don't want to choose crappy amps or go with a bad setup. My rear speakers are kenwood 6x9's and the fronts I haven't purchased yet, but I'm leaning towards JL or Infinity components.