Closed Thread

Reload Thread: ??? About alternators, extra batts, and the big 3.

heyman421 is offline Veteran Camel Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

??? About alternators, extra batts, and the big 3.

I've got a few quick questions.

Right now, i've got a kenwood xxv-02A and a hifonics bxi2006d, which are being underpowered by my factory 120A alternator.

I'm planning on upgrading my alternator to a 220 or a 280 ampere model this summer, as soon as possible, actually. And my questions are in regards to getting ready for the new alternator.

Firstly, how important are extra batteries for a system, if i honestly never use the system without the car running, and don't plan to compete? Are extra batteries mainly for engine-off use? My main concern is getting the full use of the bigger alternator, will there be any problem with using a single red-top for starting, normal car electronic systems, and my amps, since i'll have a big enough alternator in the 1st place?

Secondly, right now i'm running around 2400w rms total system power, but in the future, i'll be upgrading to an orion 2500d, whenever i get the alternator paid off, and pending i still feel the need for more power once i can actually achieve the full potential of my existing equipment, and i was wondering what gauge cabling i should use for power, grounds, and the big three?

Third, should a 50' spool of cable be enough to do power from the alt, to the batt, and to the back, plus grounds and the big 3? Or should i look for a bigger kit, like a 100' spool? How much cable did most of you end up using when you did a complete electrical rewire?

Fourth, i currenlty have a cap, not because i think it's helping, only because it was included in my wiring kit, and it looks pretty dope Once i get a bigger alt, will the cap be hurting anything being in the path? Should i toss it altogether, or is it fine being there, even though it doesn't do anything?

And fifth, if i'm fine with one battery, is there a benefit between moving the battery to the back of the car, vs. leaving it where it is, so long as i use big enough power cabling?

Just trying to get a feel for what i'll need, and how much it's going to cost to get everything done RIGHT the first time, and sufficient for future power-upgrades. Let me know what you think i should do for ~3k watts rms, and the factory car electronics on top of that.

Thanks a lot!

Nate Kaufman

PowerNaudio is offline the power of audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: ??? About alternators, extra batts, and the big 3.

you dont need an extra battery, if youre not going to run the system with the ignition off.
    50' is allot of cable probably more then enogh. you should just measure how much cable you need and buy maybe 2' of extra cable just in case.

you dont need to move the battery to the back. its fine in the front pluss you wont have to worry about extra fuses for protection.

the cap dont hurt and on some systems it actualy helps.

AIM:powernaudio,yahoo:powernaudio,email address: powernaudio at gmail.com contact me if you need any help.

Portafolio
    builds
    more builds
    saturn l300 build
    videos

References:Mr.Loki,dubbinjet,trucktoy,fancynapkin, netherland,Datdudedru,hockey1playa33,
    donbon86,PhatTonyDeMar,Saywhat?,vosschs,ChuckKlock er,budlightman361,baseballer1100,elslug,
    bdogg321,projectpat06,eatank,BodegaBay,playboyclic ,cbrrocketrdr,iwanturmags,pboulos,DaBeholder,
    bholtmeier,beatthis27,OldManTod,MTXman,Gianotti.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One last question i have is whether you always go from the alternator, to the battery, and then distribute off the battery to the car accessories and the amplifier, or if it's ever better to do two seperate cables to the battery, and one directly to the amplifiers?

I know it's all the same circuit, but i wasn't sure if one way was more correct than the other, and why, exactly?

I've done plenty of wiring over the years, but i've never really paid attention to a right and wrong way to do things, and really want to make sure i do everything as good as possible, and have a system i can be proud of for once. I've never even done a big-3 before

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

run from the battery + terminal to a fuse then to the amp. battery terminals for multiple conections are readily avalible onlyn, so you can go from the alternator to the battery and from the battery to the amp.

AIM:powernaudio,yahoo:powernaudio,email address: powernaudio at gmail.com contact me if you need any help.

Portafolio
    builds
    more builds
    saturn l300 build
    videos

References:Mr.Loki,dubbinjet,trucktoy,fancynapkin, netherland,Datdudedru,hockey1playa33,
    donbon86,PhatTonyDeMar,Saywhat?,vosschs,ChuckKlock er,budlightman361,baseballer1100,elslug,
    bdogg321,projectpat06,eatank,BodegaBay,playboyclic ,cbrrocketrdr,iwanturmags,pboulos,DaBeholder,

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome, thanks a lot.

I think i'll rewire with 1/0, i'd rather be over-cabled than have to redo this again down the road.

I'll go 0 gauge from alt to batt, 0 gauge from batt to the trunk, and then distribute to the biggest sizes my amps will allow.

I'm actually interested to see if this improves my car's idle, i have a pretty good feeling it has something to do with my electrical, i had voltage fluctuation even before my system went in.

Thank you very much! Next weekend will be project time.

Is there any reason to redo the alternator's ground-strap? And who sells 1/0 cabling the cheapest online? I'm done dealing with ebay for a while, so reputable online stores?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just ordered 50ft. of 1/0 ga. cable, 14 0 ga. ring-terminals, two 0/2/4 distribution blocks, and two three-way 5/16 binding-post style battery terminals

I forget anything?

johnecon2001 is offline SSA/ROE Super-Møderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can help you with whatever wiring you need. Just PM me a list.

Don't PM me, I'm not here. Find me on SSA or ROE
    No, I won't re-upload the Big3 pictures. Don't ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you currently have a voltage problem is best that you fix that. before you intall your system, do. do the big 3 see if that helps yours system any if it dont. you may have an alternator that is weaking out or a battery that is going bad. so fix that before you start adding load to an allready weak electrical system.

Portafolio
    builds
    more builds
    saturn l300 build
    videos

Closed Thread