Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Sony Explode 2 ohm stable? Anybody know

jimmyflames1 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sony Explode 2 ohm stable? Anybody know

Hello fellows. Put a system in auto 9 months ago. Not happy with output. Currently running Sony Explode XM-SD22x 200w rms in sterio to two 4 ohm Kenwood SVC 12's. Anybody know if this amp will handle a 2 ohm load?

Also running an old HI-Comp 65W+65W amp in sterio to two 4 ohm SVC pioneer 12's. Anyway to tell if old Hi comp Amp can handle 2 ohms?

Sorry if This has been asked before. Very new to forums and dont really understand this stufff much. I do know how to drop loads to 2 ohms. Dont want to damage amps though. With this setup I would have thought it would have been much louder. 4 12s subs total.

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sony Explode 2 ohm stable? Anybody know

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your time here, friend.

I do not know the specifics of either one of the amp you have posted about but the vast majority of amplifiers on the market are stable at 2 Ohms in stereo or 4 Ohms when in bridged mode. It's wen you start getting into impendences lower than 4 Ohms when bridged or lower than 2 Ohm in stereo mode that some amps begin to have issues.

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

spitfirees20 is offline i have the re boner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prowler573
    Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your time here, friend.

I do not know the specifics of either one of the amp you have posted about but the vast majority of amplifiers on the market are stable at 2 Ohms in stereo or 4 Ohms when in bridged mode. It's wen you start getting into impendences lower than 4 Ohms when bridged or lower than 2 Ohm in stereo mode that some amps begin to have issues.
    X2, what he said is generally correct. But you can't wire 2 SVC 4 ohm wofers for a 2 ohm stereo load.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

My System: RE SX 15, 3.5 Cubic Ft Enclosure Tuned to 32 Hz, Ultra Linear UL1700, MB Quart QM 130 KX, Pioneer GM-3000T, Sony CDX-GT500, JVC external EQ, knukonceptz eKo 4 gague wiring

Refs: NhustlaR, Blunt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spitfirees20
    X2, what he said is generally correct. But you can't wire 2 SVC 4 ohm woofers for a 2 ohm stereo load.
    Well, considering you do not wire speakers to a mono or stereo load but rather these are the two modes that an amp would potentially operate in what I said is correct.

A monoblock amplifier obviously cannot operate in stereo mode as it only has a single output channel.

A 2 or more channel unit, however, most assuredly can operate in 2 Ohm stereo (assuming that the unit in question will operate safely @ 2 Ohms) and if you connected a pair of 4 Ohm SVC subs to one of these outputs what is the result???

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the help but still confused.
    On JL site it says 2 - 4ohm svc subs wired in parallel will drop the load down to 2 ohms therby increasing wattage. Am I wrong in my thinking.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just read post above as it was being posted as I posted and yep both amps are sterio amps so Am I right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyflames1
    thanks for the help but still confused.
    On JL site it says 2 - 4ohm svc subs wired in parallel will drop the load down to 2 ohms therby increasing wattage. Am I wrong in my thinking.
    That will be amplifier dependant. JL Audio's slash-series amps make the same output anywhere from 1.5 to 4 Ohms. Regardless of the resistance load presented to the amp within that range output is the same. I do not know about their E-series amps.

The vast majority of amps will increase output at a lower resistance (again, assuming that the amp in question will remain stable at the lower impedence you want to drop on it)

For example:

My 4 channel amp is rated for 75 watts per channel at a 4 Ohm load. That rating increses to 150 watts per channel at a 2 Ohm load (is not stable lower than that)

My monoblock is rated for 400 watts at a 4 Ohm load but increases to 600 watts at a 2 Ohm load.

The percentage of wattage increase (if present at all) will depend on the architechture of the amp in question. Not all amps are created equal (as I am sure you've realized by now!)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I got it now. To drop a sterio 4 ohm amp to 2 ohms I would need 4-4 ohm speakerseach channel wired in parallel. Is that right. Sucky if so for I only got room for subs.

spitfirees20 is offline i have the re boner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prowler573
    Well, considering you do not wire speakers to a mono or stereo load but rather these are the two modes that an amp would potentially operate in what I said is correct.

A monoblock amplifier obviously cannot operate in stereo mode as it only has a single output channel.

A 2 or more channel unit, however, most assuredly can operate in 2 Ohm stereo (assuming that the unit in question will operate safely @ 2 Ohms) and if you connected a pair of 4 Ohm SVC subs to one of these outputs what is the result???
    I'm confused, you can wire two 4 ohm SVC subs each to it's own channel and they will each recieve a 2 ohm load?

My System: RE SX 15, 3.5 Cubic Ft Enclosure Tuned to 32 Hz, Ultra Linear UL1700, MB Quart QM 130 KX, Pioneer GM-3000T, Sony CDX-GT500, JVC external EQ, knukonceptz eKo 4 gague wiring

Refs: NhustlaR, Blunt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A pair (meaning '2') of 4 Ohm voice coils wired in parallel will yield a 2 Ohm load.
    Four 8 Ohm coils wired parallel/parallel will yield a 2 Ohm load.
    A pair (again, meaning 2 of them) of 1 Ohm coils wired in series will yield a 2 Ohm load.

Four 4 Ohm coils can be wired to 1 Ohm, 4 Ohms, or 16 Ohms.

Have a look here for a bit of a guide.....hopefully it will help to some degree

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spitfirees20
    I'm confused, you can wire two 4 ohm SVC subs each to it's own channel and they will each recieve a 2 ohm load?
    Nope - if you wire each 4 Ohm SVC driver to its own dedicated output channel they will present the amplifier with a 4 Ohm load per channel. A sub does not 'receive' a 2 Ohm load.....it (by itself or in combination with others) creates one Ohm load or another.

A sub is what it is. Whether that be a single 4 Ohm coil, dual 4 Ohm coils, single 8 Ohm coil, dual 2 Ohm coils, quad 1 Ohm coils, etc etc etc.

It is how you wire/combine the above creatures together that decides what resistance load you present to the amplifier when you wire 'em to it.

The amp's construction will decide whether or not it is stable at a certain resistance load or not.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I think I understand now. thanks for the help. I cant drop load down two two ohms without having 4 4 ohm subs hooked up to a sterio amp. Dont have room for anymore subs. The amp is sterio and the subs a svc 4-ohm
    What about buying another exact amp -2channel and briding it as you guys say. into these 4 ohm speakers. Each amp running one sub. would that work? Amp says its 4-0ohm stable bridged. Dont know how to bridge or much of anything about that.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Read althrough the amp manual. Very confusing about bridging. Have no idea.

Closed Thread