Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Anyone use Soundsteam amps to drive Sub?

mav2002 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Anyone use Soundsteam amps to drive Sub?

My current design is to use a Phoenix Gold amp (600 watts x 4 channels, so it would put out about 300-350 watts per 12" sub if I bridge the front 2 and the rear 2 channels). The subs are rated at about 500 RMS each, so my fear is that pushing them with 350 watts per sub will not allow me to reach the full potential of the subs. The nice thing about my original design is that the sub and amp manufacturer are the same, and I hear that is always a good thing.

However, now I'm thinking that I might want a little more power, so I'm considering running the Soundstream Picasso PIC2.880. This amp will put out about 440 watts x 2 channels so it will push 440 watts per sub. Problem is that the amp itself isn't as high quality as the Phoenix Gold amps. If I went with the Soundstream RUBICON series, it would be, however right now, I'm thinking about the Picasso line.

My question then becomes.....does the amp have to be that high quality when it's running a sub? In other words, would I notice the difference between the Picasso series and the Rubicon series?

Spddracer is offline Sounds Goooooood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Anyone use Soundsteam amps to drive Sub?

Originally posted by mav2002
    My current design is to use a Phoenix Gold amp (600 watts x 4 channels, so it would put out about 300-350 watts per 12" sub if I bridge the front 2 and the rear 2 channels). The subs are rated at about 500 RMS each, so my fear is that pushing them with 350 watts per sub will not allow me to reach the full potential of the subs. The nice thing about my original design is that the sub and amp manufacturer are the same, and I hear that is always a good thing.

However, now I'm thinking that I might want a little more power, so I'm considering running the Soundstream Picasso PIC2.880. This amp will put out about 440 watts x 2 channels so it will push 440 watts per sub. Problem is that the amp itself isn't as high quality as the Phoenix Gold amps. If I went with the Soundstream RUBICON series, it would be, however right now, I'm thinking about the Picasso line.

My question then becomes.....does the amp have to be that high quality when it's running a sub? In other words, would I notice the difference between the Picasso series and the Rubicon series?
    A decent class D amp would be the way to go , Jbl really has the most bang for buck ! for under $260 if you shop around for a 1200.1 which may be ltile to much depending on the subs you have , Is this max power handling of the subs or Rms ??

1990 300ZX Stage IV Twin Turbo

Pioneer Premier P940MP

CDT HD 6.5" Comps
    JL 300/4 Active
    (2) PG Ti10d
    Directed 1100d

"WORK HARD.....

PEOPLE ON WELFARE DEPEND ON YOU"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Anyone use Soundsteam amps to drive Sub?

Originally posted by Spddracer
    A decent class D amp would be the way to go , Jbl really has the most bang for buck ! for under $260 if you shop around for a 1200.1 which may be ltile to much depending on the subs you have , Is this max power handling of the subs or Rms ??
    500 RMS/700 Peak. I spoke to the Sub manufacturer (Phoenix Gold) and they told me NOT to touch the peak or I'll eventually ruin the subs. I was originally going to go with the Phoenix Gold 1200.1 but that puts out about 700 watts to each sub, and PG said that was really too much.

I heard Class D amps tend to lack in the sound quality area. True?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Re: Anyone use Soundsteam amps to drive Sub?

500 RMS/700 Peak. I spoke to the Sub manufacturer (Phoenix Gold) and they told me NOT to touch the peak or I'll eventually ruin the subs. I was originally going to go with the Phoenix Gold 1200.1 but that puts out about 700 watts to each sub, and PG said that was really too much.

No not really , Esp if your subs are in the trunk you would never know the diff except your lights wont dim as much !

Pioneer Premier P940MP

CDT HD 6.5" Comps
    JL 300/4 Active
    (2) PG Ti10d
    Directed 1100d

"WORK HARD.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Re: Anyone use Soundsteam amps to drive Sub?

True they are not as clean as a a/b amp but int he sub freq it is very hard to tell the diff

Pioneer Premier P940MP

CDT HD 6.5" Comps
    JL 300/4 Active
    (2) PG Ti10d
    Directed 1100d

"WORK HARD.....

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    640 Post(s)
    Here are some Soundstream Digital amps:

CBR stereo

there are a few models out there by them, SS has always made great amps, usually underratted but some older ones did have a few reliablilty problems

CarAudio.com mod(original)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by denim
    Here are some Soundstream Digital amps:

CBR stereo

there are a few models out there by them, SS has always made great amps, usually underratted but some older ones did have a few reliablilty problems
    Thanks for the link! So you guys would go with the Soundstream Digital amps over the Soundstream A/B amps?

Do Digital (Class D) amps draw less current from the alternator?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    640 Post(s)
    Thanks for the link! So you guys would go with the Soundstream Digital amps over the Soundstream A/B amps?

Do Digital (Class D) amps draw less current from the alternator?
    yes that the beauty of digitals, they dont require as much current, but that 1700D should be sick, I am actually thinking about getting those amps next

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes that the beauty of digitals, they dont require as much current, but that 1700D should be sick, I am actually thinking about getting those amps next
    If I am planning on getting 2 12" subs (500 RMS/700 Peak Watts) which Soundstream Digital amp should I get? I am thinking about the 1700D because that would give me 425 watts x 2 channels at 2 Ohms. I can't run the subs on 1 Ohm, can I?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    640 Post(s)
    If I am planning on getting 2 12" subs (500 RMS/700 Peak Watts) which Soundstream Digital amp should I get? I am thinking about the 1700D because that would give me 425 watts x 2 channels at 2 Ohms. I can't run the subs on 1 Ohm, can I?
    well it would help if we knew the voice coil set up of your subs (DVC or SVC) and their OHM loads

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well it would help if we knew the voice coil set up of your subs (DVC or SVC) and their OHM loads
    I can either go with a 2 Ohm DVC, or a 4 Ohm SVC. And I will go with 2 12" subs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    640 Post(s)
    I can either go with a 2 Ohm DVC, or a 4 Ohm SVC. And I will go with 2 12" subs.
    ok well if you go with two 2ohm DVC subs you could wire the subs in series and them wire them in parellel to the amp to get 2 ohms at the amp, because if you wire them straight parallel you will get a .5 ohm load on the amp and that will fry all most any amp out there,

if you go with two 4ohm SVC and wire them in parallel the amp will also see 2 ohm, it would be easier to wire up these subs

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok well if you go with two 2ohm DVC subs you could wire the subs in series and them wire them in parellel to the amp to get 2 ohms at the amp, because if you wire them straight parallel you will get a .5 ohm load on the amp and that will fry all most any amp out there,

if you go with two 4ohm SVC and wire them in parallel the amp will also see 2 ohm, it would be easier to wire up these subs

Okay, so either way I go, I will get down to only a 2 Ohm load. Therefore, when looking at which Soundstream Picasso amp to get, I will have to look at the wattage at the 2 Ohm level.

Okay, so that leaves me with having to purchase the PIC1.1700d which will give me about 850 watts at 2 Ohms. So that means that if I have 2 12" SVC subs, I will push 425 watts to each sub, right? That should be about perfect, but ****, $1,000 for that amp is a lot. I know you can find it online for about $550-600. I can get a PIC2.880 which will push about 440 watts to each sub at 2 Ohms for about $300. Is the Digital amp THAT much better? In other words, is it worth the extra money?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    640 Post(s)
    Okay, so either way I go, I will get down to only a 2 Ohm load. Therefore, when looking at which Soundstream Picasso amp to get, I will have to look at the wattage at the 2 Ohm level.

Okay, so that leaves me with having to purchase the PIC1.1700d which will give me about 850 watts at 2 Ohms. So that means that if I have 2 12" SVC subs, I will push 425 watts to each sub, right? That should be about perfect, but ****, $1,000 for that amp is a lot. I know you can find it online for about $550-600. I can get a PIC2.880 which will push about 440 watts to each sub at 2 Ohms for about $300. Is the Digital amp THAT much better? In other words, is it worth the extra money?

the digital is that expensive because it is made to be run at 1ohm to push out 1700 watts, but those amps are under ratted so it could be closer to 1800 watts, plus digitals are some times better for daily driving of subs

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the digital is that expensive because it is made to be run at 1ohm to push out 1700 watts, but those amps are under ratted so it could be closer to 1800 watts, plus digitals are some times better for daily driving of subs
    So, do you think it's worth the extra money?

Soundstream Digital = $575
    Soundstream A/B = $300

Both will push about 425-440 watts to each of my subs. Of course the Digital amp will draw less current, so that is nice.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List