Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Will a PG 500.2 power a 12" L5?

mav2002 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Will a PG 500.2 power a 12" L5?

I was going to get an Image Dynamics IDQ 12", however I've been told that the Kicker Solobaric 12" L5 is a better sub. Will a Phoenix Gold 500.2 (which puts out about 550 watts bridged) be enough power for that sub?

F150Matt is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yea, 500 watts will be enough for an L5, I only have about 650 or so going to each L7 12 and it does fine. I can't wait to get my orion 100 watt amp fixed up for competition,it should give them about 500 watts a piece but I'll be in the 100 watt class!

Matt Sibley
    Dad, Electrical Engineer, MBA

Used to do these:
    Team S.P.E.A.D. Captain
    Team Kicker
    Team Maxxsonics
    USACi Pro Stock 5001+ World Record Holder

andy240sx is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yea that phoenix gold will be more than enough, PG is underratted...it really should slam

Alpine 7983 HU
    2 Alpine Type R Coaxial Speakers
    2 Infinity 3 Way 63.5 Coaxial Speakers
    Planet Audio P704 (highs/mids)
    2 1" Infinity Perfect Dome Tweeters
    2 Alpine Type R 10s
    Planet Audio 4002

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if 500 or so watts was enough. I was thinking about going up one more step, but the next step up for the PG Tantrum series is the 1200 x 1 which is rated at like 1400+watts. I figured that was a bit much. But I may consider going with an L7 and the PG 1200.1 amp. We'll see.

taylor is offline THUNDER TUNES IS A FLAMER

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    i'd take the image dynamics over the solo man, id is way cleaner....

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by taylor
    i'd take the image dynamics over the solo man, id is way cleaner....
    I keep hearing that the IDQ is the same unit as the JL Audio, just cheaper. Is this true?

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    in my opinion the IDQ beats the crap out of everything jl makes except the w7. i like them more than a w6 maybe almost as good as a w6v2 but not as much power handling. anyway i'd say that the PG is a decent amp and just way way overpriced b/c pg is too expensive. but i think the IDQ's are better than the L5's if you want a good mix of SPL and SQ.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"
    So that set me off, and I said "Well then why do they let deaf people drive?"

AOL: JmKeenen

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by bumpin_blazer
    in my opinion the IDQ beats the crap out of everything jl makes except the w7. i like them more than a w6 maybe almost as good as a w6v2 but not as much power handling. anyway i'd say that the PG is a decent amp and just way way overpriced b/c pg is too expensive. but i think the IDQ's are better than the L5's if you want a good mix of SPL and SQ.

adam
    So is the L5 just good for sound volume, not so much for sound quality? The guy at the shop did mention that the Solo-barics are winning tons of competitions because they "push more air", however, he didn't really mention anything about sound quality. That shop is known for doing cheap auto installs to mainly high school and college kids, so maybe that is why they feel that way.

Now you all have me confused on what I want.....Kicker Solobarics vs. IDQ! In terms of the amps...I am sticking with the PGs cause I am getting a PG 600.4 to run my Diamond Audio Hex series comps in the cabin and I want the same type of amp for my sub. I know they are a bit expensive, but I'm okay with that.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    diamond components, congrats, if you by the Image subs you will have one hella good SQ system, that can still pound....solos' are mainly for spl man, go with image dynamics, OR the diamond subs too for a very CLEAN sound....PG is also a very respectabe company man, geat amps!!!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by taylor
    diamond components, congrats, if you by the Image subs you will have one hella good SQ system, that can still pound....solos' are mainly for spl man, go with image dynamics, OR the diamond subs too for a very CLEAN sound....PG is also a very respectabe company man, geat amps!!!!
    Well, I want a good combo of SQ and Boom, so I guess I'll go with the IDQ subs. It is just that BMW trunks are well sealed, so sometimes it's tough for the sound to penetrate into the cabin. If I pump 500 watts to the IDQ 12", I think it should sound good. I sure hope so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    remove your 6x9's, all you need is a good front stage....where does music come from when you sit at a concert????front right.....i removed my 6x9's and more sound penetrates the car

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you honestly don't need anything like taylor said except a good front stage. i know in my 4 door blazer all i run is a 5 1/4" set of Canton componets in custom kicks and those things fill the car just fine. yeah they are running on roughly 300watts rms or more but still it fills the whole car.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"

Corsica is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thats cause Blazer ur **** is in kicks, for poor un knowledegable mofo's like me i resort to doors and dash.

J

"A man doesnt win a war by dying for his country. He does it by making the other poor dumb son of a beyotch die for his." Patton

No system installed, but getting all the parts together.

J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah what can i say i liked my job at best buy while it lasted. i got all my audio stuff at like 45-65 percent off retail and i know most of it is crap but you can't beat a pioneer 9300 with 4 year warranty and tax for under 500 when they first came out.

adam

drkodin is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by mav2002
    Well, I want a good combo of SQ and Boom, so I guess I'll go with the IDQ subs. It is just that BMW trunks are well sealed, so sometimes it's tough for the sound to penetrate into the cabin. If I pump 500 watts to the IDQ 12", I think it should sound good. I sure hope so.
    your gonna need more than 500W (or go ported) to get it into the cabin. i've got a 500/1 and it isn't all i hoped for with the seats up. of course with the seats down it is a whole diferent story . Just thought i would give my input, also take in mind my setup is more for SQ. if you make a setup for SPL it will penetrate the into cabin better.

course, you could always just pull the seats down or take the steel plates out of the back seats to solve your problem too.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast