Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question about the Soundstream Picasso

HydroCloud is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question about the Soundstream Picasso

I was looking at the Soundstream PCA1500D. It's from their Picasso line, rated at 1500rms x 1 channel @ 1 ohm. The price seems very nice, just 379.00 and free shipping at this site: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=15528. I was just wondering because I've read on here that the company was bought out by Power Acoustik and that they no longer produce the amps with the quality they were once known for. The amp itself is all chromed out, so that makes me worry a bit. I'm just wondering if this amp puts out rated power and is reliable. I don't want to go through the hassle of constantly trying to get the unit repaired. If I have to pay more for an amp that I know has little chance to randomly blow on me I will.
    If I decide against this, I'll probably go with a KX1200.1. Originally I had ordered that amp from Ikesound, but they ended up not having it in stock. So I wouldn't mind going with that. At onlinecarstereo, it's 499.00 with free shipping. But, if the SS is decent I'll certainly go with that. That'll leave me with some extra money to buy some Polk Momo comps. I don't really need them, but they'd be alot nicer than my current setup of four Polk coaxials amped off of my MTX 4244. Please help me out!

Hundreth is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question about the Soundstream Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by HydroCloud
    I was looking at the Soundstream PCA1500D. It's from their Picasso line, rated at 1500rms x 1 channel @ 1 ohm. The price seems very nice, just 379.00 and free shipping at this site: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=15528. I was just wondering because I've read on here that the company was bought out by Power Acoustik and that they no longer produce the amps with the quality they were once known for. The amp itself is all chromed out, so that makes me worry a bit. I'm just wondering if this amp puts out rated power and is reliable. I don't want to go through the hassle of constantly trying to get the unit repaired. If I have to pay more for an amp that I know has little chance to randomly blow on me I will.
    If I decide against this, I'll probably go with a KX1200.1. Originally I had ordered that amp from Ikesound, but they ended up not having it in stock. So I wouldn't mind going with that. At onlinecarstereo, it's 499.00 with free shipping. But, if the SS is decent I'll certainly go with that. That'll leave me with some extra money to buy some Polk Momo comps. I don't really need them, but they'd be alot nicer than my current setup of four Polk coaxials amped off of my MTX 4244. Please help me out!
    My friend had a Picasso amp for quite some time powering his Avalanche, the SQ compared to other amps rated around the same power was very subpar. Then like two months later... it gave out the magic smoke.

I would never get one.

My car audio addiction will be complete when my system sounds as good as my $20 headphones.

pwnt by pat is offline Pat for Prez 2024 - vote!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Their Van Gogh line is pretty nice if you can still find them and the Rubicon and Reference lines were top notch.

carputer - h701 - c701 - dynaudio mw170s - si mag 15 - ss rubicon 604 x2 - ss rubicon 1002

coming soon:
    seas w15cy - alpine spx177r tweeters

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwnt by pat
    Their Van Gogh line is pretty nice if you can still find them and the Rubicon and Reference lines were top notch.

I can't comment on their new lines, as I haven't used one personally. But the Van Gogh line (VGA) was still a very solid product and it was produced after the buyout. The Rubicons and Reference amps were ofcourse wonderful aswell.....have a Rubi 702 myself

HydroCloud is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you all very much! I won't be getting the Picasso anymore, so hopefully I can find a Van Gogh somewhere. That'd be pretty awesome. If not, I'll go with a Kicker.

skmfkr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i ordered a pca130.2 but still havnt got it, im in the process for getting my money back and getting the xta180.2 for cheaper

'08 Ford Escape XLT
    2 12" DC XL's + 2 RD D9s
    Selenium and Crescendo on AQ4X90

thefunkybunch is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i used to have a picasso pic 1.1400d and it was a very solid amp. i have no doubts it made MORE than enough power. at the time i had a DD, and it made that thing get down in a serious way. for the money (free) it wasn't a bad amp at all. it held me over until i got what i really was looking for, my boston amps

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

soundstream amps are designed with the intent you actually have a pretty good electrical set up. they arent regulated so if your voltage drops its not nearly as powerful nor will it work very well at 11 volts (will smoke it potentially) they are not power accoustic amps and this year will be a rather large come back of sorts for ss. im very happy with my van gogh ..only reason i might switch is for more channels nothing more.

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Closed Thread