Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Are the JL500.5 worth it?

kmu
    kmu is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are the JL500.5 worth it?

Whats up with their power ratings???
    100x2 Fronts (Awsome)
    25X2 Rear (WTF? is it for imaging or something?)
    250x1Sub

Will it be a good amp to have if I'm going with a SQ set upp? Infinity kappas components for the front, infinity kappas coaxial for the rear and JL 12W3v2 or JL12W6V2...

THX in advance...

gregj9 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hell yes, I have just purchased a 500/5 after being an avid soundstream fan for years. As far as the power ratings go, the rear is for fill anyway so a lot of power isn't needed plus there is an ambient circut built in to give an almost surround effect (but not exactly you must read the instructions to understand what it does) I have 4 eclipse 10's on the sub channel. and a very similar set up to yours on the front. Plus with more people building kick panels as well as having door speakers and highs, the power to the front leaves a good amount of "headroom". This is the most versatile 5 channel I have seen in a while. So many configuration possibilities .....it's endless. this thing is a monster.

Greg

96 honda passport

eclipse head (55040)<br />jl audio 500/5<br />Infinity kappa separates up front<br />4 eclipse 10"<br />audio control esp2 center stage processor

soon to come: Eclipse mids and highs upgrade<br />e-comm module<br />nav system

kmu
    kmu is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really 4 10's....

I was thinking maybe I could do a trio of 8's, but they are 125RMS each and well I was gonna be under powering them...with only 250RMS...

gregj9 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well it depends on the efficiency of the speaker, what kind of speakers are they and what is the sensitivity rating or the db at 1 watt/ 1 meter. I am impressed because all of my 10's are 4 ohm so my amp is sitting at a 1 ohm load, I too may go down to just 3 woofers. I really love the amp though plenty of balls, and the sub side is a class d same as the 250/1

96 honda passport

eclipse head (55040)<br />jl audio 500/5<br />Infinity kappa separates up front<br />4 eclipse 10"<br />audio control esp2 center stage processor

ace7733 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd rather have a JL 300/2 or 300/4 and a 500/1

but that's a lil more expense, I believe
    Last edited by ace7733; 09-04-2002 at 10:38 PM.

-

serialplayer is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Me too. The two seperate amps can be had for a little less. Plus you'd get more sub watts.

I was wondering something about your 500/5. The specs for the sub channel are as follows. 250w rms @ 1.5-4 ohm. Assuming that it would run a one-ohm load, each of your 10s would only be getting in the neighborhood of 63 watts. Why wouldn't you just run two of them and give them a few more watts?
    Last edited by serialplayer; 09-12-2002 at 02:57 AM.

gregj9 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the reason I only 4 subs is because the amp is really putting more than 60 some watts to each sub, and mainly because there are two ways to increase your spl........one is double your power, or increase your cone area. I chose to go the cheaper route and double the cone area, while using efficient subs

96 honda passport

Closed Thread