Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need some help with a new amp since mine just went toes up in less than a month!!

Intercooler is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need some help with a new amp since mine just went toes up in less than a month!!

This blows! I haven't had my setup in for over a month now and today I was told the amp is bad since it plays only when it wants too. The audio place is sending my 800.4 down in the sig back to be fixed but it will take 4-6 weeks to get it (probably more!). I can't go that long so I want to just buy a new one to go in it and sell the old one when it comes back. I think the way it was set up before I had 100W going to the front components and 100W going to the rear 6x9's off the 800.4. I thought they could use more so I want to hit them with more power. Can I go 2 Ohm? If I got another Kicker amp what size 4 channel or 2 channel could I put in to drive them to the max but safely?? From the CDT site the HD52Z's say 160W and the store told me today my 6x9's are 100W RMS and 200W max. Would a 850.4 be a nice upgrade or should I do a 2 channel or possibly 2 Ohm? I want to get the most out of what I have. I need to get something ordered TODAY though. Thanks for any help!

Stuff is in the sig.

2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe
    HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    F&R Amp- MB Quart Qaa4250 1000 Watt 4-Channel
    F- CDT HD52 5.25" With 1" Silk Tweets and M-6 6.5" Mids In The Doors(Three Way)
    R- CDT M-6's
    Sub Amp- Hifonics BXi2006D Brutus 2000 Watt D Mono
    Subs- (2) FI-Q 12" in a 1.26 Cu^Ft./Per Side Unported Box
    Battery- Kinetic 1400
    House- Samsung 4665F/Def Tech Mythos 8's/Dayton 15" Sub Kit/Onkyo 605/Harmony 890
    Refs: B-06stxf150, S-tmcilroy, B-lastcall

bri487 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need some help with a new amp since mine just went toes up in less than a month!!

what kind of moeny do you have to spend on an amp?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need some help with a new amp since mine just went toes up in less than a month!!

I was hoping in the $500 range. I am not an amp expert but I think if I go 2 channel I will have no fade adjustment. If I go 4 channel I have this option and I have no clue what going 2 Ohm will do for me other than they say it will scream. Any thoughts?

HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    R- CDT M-6's
    Battery- Kinetic 1400
    House- Samsung 4665F/Def Tech Mythos 8's/Dayton 15" Sub Kit/Onkyo 605/Harmony 890

bri487 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intercooler
    I was hoping in the $500 range. I am not an amp expert but I think if I go 2 channel I will have no fade adjustment. If I go 4 channel I have this option and I have no clue what going 2 Ohm will do for me other than they say it will scream. Any thoughts?
    with a 2 channel you will lose either fade or balance control. to drop it down to 2 ohms, you will need to have two 4 ohm speakers on each channel. an amp doesnt dictate what ohm to operate at. it is told by the speakers, for lack of a better way of putting it. so to get an amp down to 2 ohm, you will need to run your fronts together and your rears together. on a 2 channel amp most likely. but you will have no balance control though.

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

try loosing the 6x9's and running the components up front off af 200 watts rms. in a properly imaged setup, there should be no need for 400 watts rms. imo you are pulling your front stage to the back with the subs and that is why it doesn't sound as loud.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iceteebone
    try loosing the 6x9's and running the components up front off af 200 watts rms. in a properly imaged setup, there should be no need for 400 watts rms. imo you are pulling your front stage to the back with the subs and that is why it doesn't sound as loud.
    Do away with the 6x9's totally? Won't it sound like crap? The audio place suggested the rear fill. If I hack them out then do I put a two channel or four channel in? What power and will I have balance/fade control?

HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    R- CDT M-6's
    Battery- Kinetic 1400

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Do away with the 6x9's totally? Won't it sound like crap? The audio place suggested the rear fill. If I hack them out then do I put a two channel or four channel in? What power and will I have balance/fade control?

it should sound better. if you are this frieghtened to remove the rear fill, run the 6x9's off the headunit. most people use the concert comparison. when you are at a concert you don't stand with your back facing the concert right? it comes from in front of you just like it should in your car. where are your components located up front? you would only have balance because you have no rear speakers to fade to lol.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iceteebone
    it should sound better. if you are this frieghtened to remove the rear fill, run the 6x9's off the headunit. most people use the concert comparison. when you are at a concert you don't stand with your back facing the concert right? it comes from in front of you just like it should in your car. where are your components located up front? you would only have balance because you have no rear speakers to fade to lol.
    Balance... right

My 5.25's are in the factory pods down low on the door and my tweets are mounted up on the door panels by the handles. Doing it your way do I need a 2 or 4 channel and what size can I drive the **** out of them with??

HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    R- CDT M-6's
    Battery- Kinetic 1400

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Balance... right

My 5.25's are in the factory pods down low on the door and my tweets are mounted up on the door panels by the handles. Doing it your way do I need a 2 or 4 channel and what size can I drive the **** out of them with??

these are component sets right? they are hooked up to 2 channels on your current setup right? i don't think you need me to tell you the answer either a 2 channel or a 4 channel bridged will work.

bigbangtheory is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

I love when people use the concert effect. You have to remember in most concerts there bass speakers are up front as well. I have done this where you take out the back speakers and just have the fronts going with a clean amp. It sounded ok but I still perfer to have the effect the the sound is surrounding me. I mean is just my opinion. What I did for my recent sysetem is put in 2 sets of alpine type x's. 2 in the factory door location and 2 in a custom rear panel. It sounds ok but I am also in same situation as need a cleaner more powerful amp.

I think you have some good equipment there. I however dont think you need a kicker 800.4. Try looking into the mclass memphis highs amp. I have heard nothing but good things on those. I will be getting one of those soon. Peace!

Refs~Max Power(ST), bnevets27(ST), 99oldsintrigue(ST), matrxx dude(BF), Ficaraudio(BF), Zachzchw(BF), tigerf117(ST), 5.7TBI(BF), DBfan187(ST), Joesph M(ST), 97gp(ST), Cornbreadxd(ST), SlappinX(ST), nycspudz03(ST), bl0ckd(BF), Sctattooer(ST), hitman34608(ST), Wackdogg(ST), ggk(ST), 03F150MrSBF(STx2), Dye4metal(ST), Mikey7182(BF), Wu501(BF), Twisted_0912(BF), Crunklech(BF), psychoacoustics(BF), Tyler Chavez(ST), GTO Dave(ST), Thisistiny(ST), DarkScorpin(BF), davidtemple(BF), BassaddictJ(BF), Geoff_off_me(BF), Dragnix(BF)

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

cheeseburger35 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

send the kicker kx800.4 back to kicker they'll have it back to you QUICK!!! polecat says 36-48 hrs total turn around time.. plus they pay shipping back to you.... GREAT SERVICE i just had a zr360 repaired and it only cost me 37 bucks...

Bought From: JAZN, EFFENDI, HCCAFAN, SurgicaL,djman37, MSSOKC(2), Mr. Loki, skeptikal, streetbeater07, blaze383, fatboyracing, stl_style
    Sold to: HOAX_1(2), gtpzach51, JaysonR, Justinh722, n8skow, Mast240,ampjunkielikeme
    soundpressure= Louisiana_CRX, mechanicpunk, Williambrea, WilsonDD, ultimateauto, j225, DD Scion,
    this guy *****: BulldogSr04
    06 dodge ram- dbl din, ditched the L5's now working on a fiberglass box under the rear seat for a 9510
    02 celica- total kicker build in progress rs comps, 4 zx amps, 2 12" L7's - sold

flakko is offline Veteran (my butt)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

YGPM my friend!

1998 Acura TL 3.2L
    Crappy Sansui DVD player
    Stock Speakers
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Hi ladies, my name is Wo-Hen Nankan"

"I like you. You have balls. I like balls."

Closed Thread