Closed Thread

Reload Thread: JBL P80.4 good or bad???

F150Matt is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

JBL P80.4 good or bad???

Ok, tomorrow I should be building my ported box and since it's going to be a lot louder than it is now I think I am going to need an amp for my 4 infinity kappa 5x7 coax's. Since I already have the BP1200.1 amp I'd like to go with the 80.4 for the mids/highs. Has anyone ever used this amp? I like my 1200.1 so I think the 80.4 would be ok. Now another question...right now I have stinger 4 guage power wire running to my 1200. Could I use a distribution block that way I wouldn't have to run a second thing of wire from the battery or whatever? I plan to run 8 gauge to the 80.4. Is there a chance of getting some distortion or interference by using a distribution block or is a distribution block even an option? Once I put both amps in there I'll have a max current draw of 43amps on the 80.4 and 114 amps on the 1200.1 I dont know what size my alternator is now but will it need to be upgraded? Will I need a cap or an extra battery? I know all of this is going to factor in somewhere. Let me know. Thanks again for all your help guys!

Matt Sibley
    Dad, Electrical Engineer, MBA

Used to do these:
    Team S.P.E.A.D. Captain
    Team Kicker
    Team Maxxsonics
    USACi Pro Stock 5001+ World Record Holder

Jeff is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Check my sig. I really like my 80.4, so much better than my previous kenwood 40x4. It really cranks up without distortion in my setup and it was cheap($139 at the time from ikesound). I am running a single 8 guage power wire to the 600.1 then out to the 80.4. It seems to be O.K. but I probably should step up to 4 guage. I would guess that your alternator would be similar in size (output) to mine which is around 100 amps I think. I definately need an upgrade because my lights dim so much it looks like I am flashing oncoming traffic. So I would think you will need an upgrade, considering you have the 1200.1. Hope this helps.

1999 GMC reg. cab. Sierra
    Factory HU and tweeters
    JBL p80.4
    JBL bp600.1
    CDT Cambria 6.5"
    (2) JL 10W0-4's

F150Matt is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm actually not sure what my alternator is, but with the 1200.1 I have very little dimming, u can hardly even notice it. I'm thinking with the 80.4 added in there I may need to put a cap on the 1200.1 but I am not sure if that is the proper solution or not. If I'm goin to have to upgrade the alternator or add cap(s) or batteries I want to do it right this time so i dont have to upgrade again if I decide to add another 1200.1 to run one on each sub.

Matt Sibley
    Dad, Electrical Engineer, MBA

Used to do these:
    Team S.P.E.A.D. Captain
    Team Kicker
    Team Maxxsonics
    USACi Pro Stock 5001+ World Record Holder

Closed Thread