Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 5-channel vs. 4-channel & Mono-Amp

I just went to visit a "high end" car audio shop. He was trying to convince me that I should get one 5-channel amp (US Amps 5600X - 75x4, 1x200 at 4 Ohms) instead of separating and getting a 4-channel to power the speakers, and a sub-amp to power the sub-woofer.

I know close to nothing, but I've been using this message board as a source of info. Many people on this board have been suggesting the JBL 600.1 as a GREAT sub-amp. When mentioned it to the shop owner, he laughed. When I mentioned I was thinking about getting a PPI 4-channel, he told me PPI *****, again laughing. Needless to say, even if he was right, I would NEVER buy from him....ever.

My question is should I go with a 5-channel US Amps 5600X or a PPI PCX-480 and a JBL 600.1? I will probably have MB Quarts and a JL Audio sub-woofer.

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 5 channel will be easier to hook up by far, but You will have more power to your subs using the PPI and JBL.

Mike

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

jtmoney is offline i DiDn'T dO iT!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by mykeys
    The 5 channel will be easier to hook up by far, but You will have more power to your subs using the PPI and JBL.

Mike
    ahaa............but we are dealing with no special amp here = its a USAmps.

another make to consider is memphis - have a look at the MEMPHIS BELLE AMP at memcaraudio.com - a conventional class AB 4 channel amps combined with a monster class d amp to give the subs alone around 1000RMS a very very very very very very very good amp IMO

andy240sx is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok...keep this in mind, most of the guys who work at car audio stores are idiots. they are in their late 20s makin 6 bucks an hour. how smart can they be? and the only thing they are programmed to do is to sell their stores featured products. if you go with the ppi jbl setup, you will get more power, and in my opinion better sound. ppi makes some awesome amps and jbl is great for the money. us is alright, but i would go with jbl or ppi over them anytime

Alpine 7983 HU
    2 Alpine Type R Coaxial Speakers
    2 Infinity 3 Way 63.5 Coaxial Speakers
    Planet Audio P704 (highs/mids)
    2 1" Infinity Perfect Dome Tweeters
    2 Alpine Type R 10s
    Planet Audio 4002

mav2002 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by andy240sx
    ok...keep this in mind, most of the guys who work at car audio stores are idiots. they are in their late 20s makin 6 bucks an hour. how smart can they be? and the only thing they are programmed to do is to sell their stores featured products. if you go with the ppi jbl setup, you will get more power, and in my opinion better sound. ppi makes some awesome amps and jbl is great for the money. us is alright, but i would go with jbl or ppi over them anytime
    Yes, I think I agree. This guy was a mid-40's, beer bellyed sleezy salesman, who did know his stuff, but I could tell he was pushing amps and speakers that he probably gets some kind of kick-back for. He did mention that PPI signed some big time contract some years ago and are made in China. He said, "you want an amp made in China?!?!? US Amps are made in Florida, I would take an amp made in the US anyday." I was thinking, ****, my new car is made in Germany, my current car is made in Japan, and most of my electronics are made in Japan. Hmmm......

Okay, so the consensus so far has been go with:

PPI PCX-480 to run the speakers
    JBL 600.1 to run the JL Audio 10W3v2 sub

over

US Amps USA-5600X to run all

I think I agree because getting a 4-channel and a mono will give me more flexibility later if i decide to add more power to the system.

Thanks for the advice!

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont know if ADST was bought out entirely or only parts but I know Orion was sold..just cant remember who bought em.. But PPI is still made in Phoenix if memory serves me correctly..They have been in the biz for longer than US and are also underrated by a fairly large margin..JBL is rated pretty much on par with what they say it will put out.. Haman INT'L is a good company that don't put out junk just lower end...not ever to be put in the same category as Jensen, Poweracoustik and a few others

Mikw

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

jtmoney is offline i DiDn'T dO iT!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by mykeys
    I know Orion was sold..just cant remember who bought em..
    Mikw
    DEI

mav2002 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm also reconsidering the JBL 600.1 to power the sub. Since I am only getting ONE JL Audio 10W3v2, I'm thinking about a PPI PCX-280 (2 channel, 320 watts bridged). Or maybe a PPI PCX-2125 (2 channel, 500 watts bridged) for more flexibility, like if I wanted to put in another sub. ANy thoughts?

Closed Thread

User Tag List