Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Polk PA 880.1 and PA 660.4

Roswellien is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Polk PA 880.1 and PA 660.4

Well amps are in, install is great, still have a little cleaning to do. The under seat install went perfect and I have about 65% of the range of the seats left (front and back), which is about 100% of what anyone would ever use unless you are 4ft tall.

Here is a list of the full setup and I will break down my thoughts on the Amps at the end, just to give an idea of what I am working with.

Vehicle : 1996 Nissan Pathfinder
    Wiring : Kicker 4ga Power & Ground
    HU : Pioneer 6900UB
    Amps: Polk PA660.4 & Polk PA880.1
    Doors & Pillar: 4x Polk MOMO 6 1/2 & Stock Tweets in Pillar (tweets run of HU)
    Subwoofers : 2x TC Sounds TC-1000 12" 4ohm DVC

Polk PA660.4
    So far I have been very impressed with the clarity and strength this amp has given back to my Polk MOMO's in my doors. It seems to provide that sweet spot of power to the MOMO's and its amazing to have them at rated power again. I forgot how alive these speakers become when feed properly. I still have tuning to do on the crossovers between the doors and subs, but so far very impressed with the Polk PA660.4 as a SQ Amp.

Polk PA880.1
    The PA880.1 is incapable of giving my Subs their RMS rating, but don't tell it that. Despite being quite hot to the touch this amp has yet to go into protect or overheat, suppose only time will tell. The amp is able to feed plenty of power to my 1200 watts RMS of subs for my needs and I am greatly hoping it continues to do so as the SQ so far seems great. Its also able to push the subs quite hard it, while not outrageously loud it still is able to give you that great gut punch feeling when you want it, just afraid to run it to long pushing it that hard. Right now the only thing holding back this setup it seems is not the amp or the subs but the prefab box I had to purchase do to time/money/tool constraints.

Overall I am for an "SQL" setup, I look for nice tight, responsive, and accurate bass. Right up until I just get a hankering to "feel the music" which so far this setup seems to be able to provide in spades. I worry slightly about the PA880.1 due to the heat and being unable to clarify weather this amp is truely 1ohm stable or not.

Polk PA660.4 Grade - A
    Polk PA880.1 Grade - B+

n2caraudio is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Polk PA 880.1 and PA 660.4

Good review. thanks

All_Logix is offline Formerly CivicGTi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Those polk amps jam pretty hard especially that a880. I was amazed with the amount of power that thing can produce at 4 ohms considering what it was rated for...only problem they get hotter than hell, cant even touch it after its been on for a few hours, even had someone show me where it burnt a ring into their interior carpeting haha

token1er is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

OP, me and you got the same HU and amps! what are the odds of that?

Closed Thread