zen is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

info about spl

looking for info about spl
    how to made box for spl
    big box more port = more spl?
    how to measure a box for some subs? how big?
    more port at smaller box?
    i know hot to make subwoofer boxes but nothing special know about cu ft how to tune a box, 45 cornes and something about kerf so not that noob

how to use thiele parameter for a box

thanks for any reply will help

Hu Eclipse cd7000
    Front set cdt cl6
    Infiniy Kappa
    Rockford 400a4 sprs amp
    Rockford 1000db subs amp
    Type R 1242 1.6cuft- 37 sqinch @38hz
    2 Type R Swr 1042 Coming soon

tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: info about spl

I would suggest one of the tuning calculation programs available. I use Torres to come up wit my volumes then use WinIsd to get idea of numbers it will produce. Thats the best thing I can offer I see alot of 4th order and 6th order boxes in big spl vids but thats nothing more than wat I see not know for sure.
    Torres tuner will help with what size port and tuning it makes it easy to see how dimensions are affected wit each input. I have found it to be a great free tuner it gives you everything but db bc it doesnt use sub specs from data base only what you input. I think AJ designs is another program that gives you output calculation but I found it a little difficult to use but Im not very good with some computer stuff

Pioneer DEH 80 PRS
    1 Sundown SD-2 10,
    Kicker SS56.2 components.(Soon to be changed out) Anyone with a set of these or maybe a single mid I'm looking
    Rockford Fosgate T-1000.1bd
    Pioneer GM6400f

I am DH Audio.,
    This isn't baseball I'm the original DH Richard Ctranium

hispls is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Your best bet is to go to some real competitions and see what sort of thing works and doesn't work in whatever style car you are using. It's very vehicle specific and you will still invariably spend hundreds of dollars in wood building different boxes to test if you're trying to be competitive.

4. Likes n8skow liked this post
    zen
    zen is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    I would suggest one of the tuning calculation programs available. I use Torres to come up wit my volumes then use WinIsd to get idea of numbers it will produce. Thats the best thing I can offer I see alot of 4th order and 6th order boxes in big spl vids but thats nothing more than wat I see not know for sure.
    Torres tuner will help with what size port and tuning it makes it easy to see how dimensions are affected wit each input. I have found it to be a great free tuner it gives you everything but db bc it doesnt use sub specs from data base only what you input. I think AJ designs is another program that gives you output calculation but I found it a little difficult to use but Im not very good with some computer stuff
    i have heard about winisd but not torres will search it and see how it works... thanks

nothing serious.. i mean not about competition just for daily and get some fun with a few subs...
    and also i have seen competition where they use big boxes but nothing serious, big subs but lil amps... removable ports but nothing with termalab and stuff like that
    thanks willing to have time to make a box with winisd and torres, on vacations will be

Hu Eclipse cd7000
    Front set cdt cl6
    Infiniy Kappa
    Rockford 400a4 sprs amp
    Rockford 1000db subs amp

zen
    zen is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

opinion, coments something else to review for spl software, tricks, tips...

Hu Eclipse cd7000
    Front set cdt cl6
    Infiniy Kappa
    Rockford 400a4 sprs amp
    Rockford 1000db subs amp

zen
    zen is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

hi again
    i was trying to fin out torres software but i couldnt
    try some webs but link was expired or was a fake dont know if guys have it and can send it to me

Hu Eclipse cd7000
    Front set cdt cl6
    Infiniy Kappa
    Rockford 400a4 sprs amp
    Rockford 1000db subs amp

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Here's the thread for Torres:
    Torres' Box Tuning Calculator - Updated 8/18 - Subwoofers / Enclosures - SMD Forum

Keep in mind that Torres is not a modeling program. It's just a box cut sheet and tuning calculator. You have to know what you want to end up with before you start with it or t won't do you any good.

As for building SPL boxes, the idea is to tune at or close to the resonant frequency of the vehicle. Most vehicles peak above 50Hz, so if you really plan to do an SPL box, don't expect it to be musical. If you want some musicality but also SPL, tune at ~40Hz. But again, as has been mentioned, it's vehicle specific.

You also asked about port and box size. Port area is not box dependant, it's xmax and tuning dependant, meaning you need more port area for subs with higher xmax and boxes with lower tuning than you need with the opposite. If you have too much port area, you'll overdrive your subs and if too little, you'll have nasty port noise and low output.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

zen
    zen is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbeljefe View Post
    Torres' Box Tuning Calculator - Updated 8/18 - Subwoofers / Enclosures - SMD Forum

Keep in mind that Torres is not a modeling program. It's just a box cut sheet and tuning calculator. You have to know what you want to end up with before you start with it or t won't do you any good.

As for building SPL boxes, the idea is to tune at or close to the resonant frequency of the vehicle. Most vehicles peak above 50Hz, so if you really plan to do an SPL box, don't expect it to be musical. If you want some musicality but also SPL, tune at ~40Hz. But again, as has been mentioned, it's vehicle specific.

You also asked about port and box size. Port area is not box dependant, it's xmax and tuning dependant, meaning you need more port area for subs with higher xmax and boxes with lower tuning than you need with the opposite. If you have too much port area, you'll overdrive your subs and if too little, you'll have nasty port noise and low output.
    hey bbel ! i have tried with that link and did not work but i did now thanks
    also thanks for info i thought it was obvious big box not a lot of port because less pressure inside for box. smaller box, more port as the tuning hz drop becuase more pressure can do in a little box (dont know if i explained my self :P) but nothing for sure, just guessing :P
    but know i feel a little bit more sure of that
    thanks guys

Hu Eclipse cd7000
    Front set cdt cl6
    Infiniy Kappa
    Rockford 400a4 sprs amp
    Rockford 1000db subs amp

will3 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am not trying to be an a hole but why does lower tuning require more port volume I am just curious

akadj is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by will3 View Post
    I am not trying to be an a hole but why does lower tuning require more port volume I am just curious
    Your port is going to get longer or your box is going to have to be bigger when you tune lower.

And you need a certain amount of port area in relation to how much Xmax or air your going to move.

And OP... If you want a daily ground pounder that does hair tricks and moves tons of air then you don't want an SPL

will3 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akadj View Post
    Your port is going to get longer or your box is going to have to be bigger when you tune lower.

And you need a certain amount of port area in relation to how much Xmax or air your going to move.

And OP... If you want a daily ground pounder that does hair tricks and moves tons of air then you don't want an SPL
    I get xmax and sd play into port cross section just not lower tuning
    A longer port doesn't always mean a larger one
    And if you are not figuring off of box volume it shouldn't matter how large the enclosure is related to the cross section of the port .
    There again I have read this around forums a couple of times I am just curious to were lowering your tuning needs more port volume with all other things equal

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

No worries and thanks for replying so I could re read what I mis wrote. :-)

Higher tuning requires more port area, not lower tuning. That was a mistake on my part, so sorry bout that.

I'm not an acoustical engineer so I don't really feel comfortable trying to explain the details of why but, I'll try and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will pop in and correct my if I'm wrong or, affirm.

With high tuning, more air is moved in a given slice of time so more port area is required in order that port noise is minimized. Likewise, higher xmax means more air is moved, regardless of frequency.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I get xmax and sd play into port cross section just not lower tuning
    A longer port doesn't always mean a larger one...

With all things equal lower tuning means longer port

1 cuft enclosure minus displacement of 4" port tuned to 50 hz = 12" long port(0.1 cuft displacement)

1 cuft enclosure minus displacement of 4" port tuned to 40 hz = 24" long port(0.2 cuft displacement)

zen
    zen is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

No worries and thanks for replying so I could re read what I mis wrote. :-)

Higher tuning requires more port area, not lower tuning. That was a mistake on my part, so sorry bout that.

I'm not an acoustical engineer so I don't really feel comfortable trying to explain the details of why but, I'll try and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will pop in and correct my if I'm wrong or, affirm.

With high tuning, more air is moved in a given slice of time so more port area is required in order that port noise is minimized. Likewise, higher xmax means more air is moved, regardless of frequency.
    that sounds logic too,
    but just guessing and also sounds logic to me if you have lower frecuencie playing you move tons of air, down 30 hz more pressure inside the box, and with more port subwoofer move easier instead a lil port less movment o not less movoment... more dificult to play low low frecuencies dont know how to say

Hu Eclipse cd7000
    Front set cdt cl6
    Infiniy Kappa
    Rockford 400a4 sprs amp
    Rockford 1000db subs amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    that sounds logic too,
    but just guessing and also sounds logic to me if you have lower frecuencie playing you move tons of air, down 30 hz more pressure inside the box, and with more port subwoofer move easier instead a lil port less movment o not less movoment... more dificult to play low low frecuencies dont know how to say

But just because you have subs with high xmax and play low frequency moving tons of air it doesn't mean you have high SPL

And a smaller port cross section or longer port will play lower frequency.

When.you say subs play easier with more port sounds like your referring to box rise because of back pressure?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast