Closed Thread

Reload Thread: clippping sound at high volume, cant stand it, i miss my quality even at high volume

macantley is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

clippping sound at high volume, cant stand it, i miss my quality even at high volume

at first i thought it was the factory tweeters in the doors clipping, so i added a 3.3UF capacitor to them to make sure there was not too much bass going to them, the caps didnt make a change.

i have a Sony mobile ES xm-3546 amp running my sound stage, the front doors consist of two infinity kappa 62.1i speakers, the same in the rear doors, and now the front door tweeters were replaced with old school Lanzar DCT neodynium tweeters.

anytime the volume is turned up above 70% of the headunits max volume i start hearing the crackle sound, its almost like the sound of a small voice coil bottoming out, its not near as thuddy as a subwoofer voice coil, its just a very annoying crackle, it happens worse if i do turn the bass up (i have three 12" woofers in a sealed box at 1CF of airspace each in my trunk. this is a new install and its using an american bass XD-1800 amp for the subwoofers. the ONLY thing i can think of is possible low voltage, right now there is only one battery, the main car battery, also the stock alternator. i have not done the big 3 to the car yet either. Im thinking that a second battery might solve the issue, but im not sure yet, I hate to add the weight if its not going to change anything.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

matthew

jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    652 Post(s)

Re: clippping sound at high volume, cant stand it, i miss my quality even at high vol

Turn down the gains and keep the volume down

01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

Singer | Tantric Sounds | Sky High | Powerware | Ampere Audio | CDT

2 Tantric HDD 12s
    Ampere Audio 3800.1D at .35 daily
    275a Singer Alternator, 2 runs SHCA 1/0 positive, 2 runs SHCA 1/0 negative, couple of batteries
    Tantric Sounds "GatorSkin" 200mil and MurderMat 80mil throughout

Loudmp5 is offline skyhigh&banginlow

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

Re: clippping sound at high volume, cant stand it, i miss my quality even at high vol

so many factors but maybe your hu starts clipping above 70% how did you set your gains?

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms,An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject,Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.,Gun control is not about guns; it's about control,You only have the rights you are willing to fight for,Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety,You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive,Assault is a behavior, not a device,64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday,All Rights Reserved,The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others,What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you NOT understand?,guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians

Loudmp5 is offline skyhigh&banginlow

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

whats your hi pass x over set to?

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms,An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject,Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.,Gun control is not about guns; it's about control,You only have the rights you are willing to fight for,Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety,You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive,Assault is a behavior, not a device,64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday,All Rights Reserved,The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others,What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you NOT understand?,guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

high pass is set to 80HZ for the door speakers, I need to test the headunit to see what the voltage output is so i can properly set my gain, but the Sony amp is set at half gain for the rear doors, and about 60% for the front doors, the American bass amp is set at 50% gain, i would assume that isnt pushing it too far, right now im using the stock Bose headunit its a 2004 infiniti G35 with the bose 6 disk in dash unit, with the stock amp it never clipped even at max volume, but the factory amp had crappy sound, the stock headunit will be replaced as soon as i can afford it, but just the dash install kit is $200 for the 2004 G35 sedan, the Steering wheel controller is another $70, and the headunit i want is $350 (pioneer PRS-80) i had that headunit in the last car i had (sold it with the car) and loved it. I also need to get the multimeter out and actually test the voltage on the system when its loud, but i dont suspect that its below 12V, its at 14.1V at idle with the system turned off, the battery is approx. 4 months old.

im also using the stock low level outputs from the headunit that went into the factory amp.

Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

do you have an inline crossover between your amp and front splits (tweeters and mids) does it have a -3db on the tweeter, worth trying that. and retune your system

7. Likes Loudmp5 liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I put the 25V 3.3UF capacitor in line to the tweeter, it should cut the frequency to only 12,000HZ and above, the tweeter is rated at 1.3 KHZ - 24 KHZ so i should be fine. at 12 KHZ and above (ill probably change to a 6.3 UF cap soon so its around 6 KHZ and above that goes through.

the clipping sound appears to be coming from both the tweeter and the door speakers at the same volumes, so im thinking that the problem lies somewhere in the amp, or voltage. The only other amp i have to try in the car is an american bass 4 channel amp, its rated 40W RMS x 4, its a VERY old school amp i cant remember the model # on it.

matthew

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    353 Post(s)

How are you crossing the tweet over? If your using a passive crossover that's most def the wrong cap. You want a cap lower than where the stock crossover takes over so you don't mess with the frequency response of the system. However, that won't hurt tweeter or make it crackle.. Generally speaking, the crackling sound you hear on the tweet is the first major "turn me down" sign. It generally just means your overpowering it. Also are you using a LOC? A detailed description of the signal chain could be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

has got to be something todo with the signal

Babykinns is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macantley View Post
    at first i thought it was the factory tweeters in the doors clipping, so i added a 3.3UF capacitor to them to make sure there was not too much bass going to them, the caps didnt make a change.

i have a Sony mobile ES xm-3546 amp running my sound stage, the front doors consist of two infinity kappa 62.1i speakers, the same in the rear doors, and now the front door tweeters were replaced with old school Lanzar DCT neodynium tweeters.

anytime the volume is turned up above 70% of the headunits max volume i start hearing the crackle sound, its almost like the sound of a small voice coil bottoming out, its not near as thuddy as a subwoofer voice coil, its just a very annoying crackle, it happens worse if i do turn the bass up (i have three 12" woofers in a sealed box at 1CF of airspace each in my trunk. this is a new install and its using an american bass XD-1800 amp for the subwoofers. the ONLY thing i can think of is possible low voltage, right now there is only one battery, the main car battery, also the stock alternator. i have not done the big 3 to the car yet either. Im thinking that a second battery might solve the issue, but im not sure yet, I hate to add the weight if its not going to change anything.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

matthew
    Test the voltage on your component amp while your subs are hitting. I'll almost guarentee 3 twelves is robbing power from the components when they're hitting hard causing your problem.

Closed Thread