Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Reload Thread: Staging and Imaging?

  1. #1
    Fi-brations's Avatar
    Fi-brations is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)

    Staging and Imaging?

    Just installed my HAT C1s and L6v1s running active off of the xtant 4180c and eclipse cd7000

    The tweets are in spheres curtousy of @ @keep_hope_alive and the mids are in my doors in the factory location, 2003 ford explorer.
    I've been messing around with the xovers, and i like it a lot right now, i believe my mids are crossed at either 2.5khz of 3.15khz on a 12db/octave slope and my tweeters are crossed at 4khz on a 12db/octave slope (honestly though I have some trouble hearing the difference when going from 3.15khz-4khz-5khz) Perhaps someone can shed some light on that, but do these sound relatively normal?

    It all sounds pretty amazing, best speakers I have ever heard personally, but my experience is very limited. I have fooled around with t/a, but just adjusting my ear, no actual measurements. I can center the voice and level the sides evenly, but I don't really have an obvious grasps of any other instrumentalists other than the singer, im gonna try some better music, but I would think some of the music i listen to like metal, indie, and rock would have the necessary elements to aid in imaging.

    Is creating imaging further than just vocals going to take adjusting speaker location or what should I do?





    04' Maxima Build
    Coming Soon

    Xtant 4180c, 2100b For Sale
    Alpine MRV-1507 For Sale
    Business with: davidtemple(x2), infamous_e46, Bettrn'Reverse, splaudio, TaylorFade, Tallc, Louisiana_Crx, RidnClean, b.mena, Mike Burke, Gameovercca, Ram_Designs, Double 07




  2. #2
    cablguy184's Avatar
    cablguy184 is offline SQ "White Lightning"



    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Rankin Co. Mississippi
    Age
    44
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fi-brations View Post
    I've been messing around with the xovers, and i like it a lot right now, i believe my mids are crossed at either 2.5khz of 3.15khz on a 12db/octave slope and my tweeters are crossed at 4khz on a 12db/octave slope (honestly though I have some trouble hearing the difference when going from 3.15khz-4khz-5khz) Perhaps someone can shed some light on that, but do these sound relatively normal?
    Is this a 2 way or 3 way active component set ??



    Randal Johnson ... Comcast Xfinity ... 1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 Extended Cab ... 1949 Ford Custom Tudor Sedan
    Linear Power (TIPS) / Blues Car Audio ... Audio Technix ... Hyper Automotive LEDs and HIDs ... Mississippi Street Rod Association

  3. #3
    Dirtrider4eva's Avatar
    Dirtrider4eva is offline √\_The CaUsE__



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    4,289
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    get an RTA setup. can start one up for under $150. then you can take accurate measurements



    welcome to
    Where b-stock is the new a-stock
    TEAM WEST

  4. #4
    Fi-brations's Avatar
    Fi-brations is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    Quote Originally Posted by cablguy184 View Post
    Is this a 2 way or 3 way active component set ??
    2 way, the l6s and c1s on my xtant 4 channel
    Eventually I will bridge the 4180c to the mods and use the 2100b for the highs





    04' Maxima Build
    Coming Soon

    Xtant 4180c, 2100b For Sale
    Alpine MRV-1507 For Sale
    Business with: davidtemple(x2), infamous_e46, Bettrn'Reverse, splaudio, TaylorFade, Tallc, Louisiana_Crx, RidnClean, b.mena, Mike Burke, Gameovercca, Ram_Designs, Double 07

  5. #5
    Fi-brations's Avatar
    Fi-brations is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider4eva View Post
    get an RTA setup. can start one up for under $150. then you can take accurate measurements
    I know a lot of ppl use them, but what exactly do I use them for? What do I do with the information they provide me? I'll do my own research later if u don't want to type it out





    04' Maxima Build
    Coming Soon

    Xtant 4180c, 2100b For Sale
    Alpine MRV-1507 For Sale
    Business with: davidtemple(x2), infamous_e46, Bettrn'Reverse, splaudio, TaylorFade, Tallc, Louisiana_Crx, RidnClean, b.mena, Mike Burke, Gameovercca, Ram_Designs, Double 07

  6. #6
    cablguy184's Avatar
    cablguy184 is offline SQ "White Lightning"



    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Rankin Co. Mississippi
    Age
    44
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider4eva View Post
    get an RTA setup. can start one up for under $150. then you can take accurate measurements
    Doesn't seem like it would do any good at this point ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fi-brations View Post
    2 way, the l6s and c1s on my xtant 4 channel
    Eventually I will bridge the 4180c to the mods and use the 2100b for the highs
    sounds like your crossover points set up for a 3 way component setup ... Sounds to me like you are missing alot of needed frequiencies ...
    Your tweets are crossed over way to high and you should be running your 6.5" drivers full range cutting the bottom end around 40 to 70 htz ...

    just my suggestion here ...



    Randal Johnson ... Comcast Xfinity ... 1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 Extended Cab ... 1949 Ford Custom Tudor Sedan
    Linear Power (TIPS) / Blues Car Audio ... Audio Technix ... Hyper Automotive LEDs and HIDs ... Mississippi Street Rod Association

  7. Thanks Fi-brations thanked for this post
  8. #7
    myjaja's Avatar
    myjaja is offline Audioque



    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx Posts: 143,632 _____<^>*_*<^>_____
    Posts
    3,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    492 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    On my active setup with cdt components, I have my mids at 5khz with a 18db/octave slope and tweeters at 4khz with a 24db/octave slope. That sounded best to me with my speakers. I can hear pretty much all the instrumentalists and vocal. You should try highering your mids to like 4khz-5khz.



    Refs: sbcaprice305, mattmcss, systembumping, LeofromtheH, audiobahnuser18, stishdr, wcarson8911, jnoel, mr_kebo, 93 saturn sl2



    HU: Home stereo converted to dc
    Speakers: Stock
    Subs: 6 1/2 home sub
    Amp: off the stereo
    Wiring: extended power cord
    neon lights: Christmas lights duct taped to frame

  9. Thanks Fi-brations thanked for this post
  10. #8
    Dirtrider4eva's Avatar
    Dirtrider4eva is offline √\_The CaUsE__



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    4,289
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fi-brations View Post
    I know a lot of ppl use them, but what exactly do I use them for? What do I do with the information they provide me? I'll do my own research later if u don't want to type it out
    allows you to see your response graph about your peaks and troughs. and can help you tune to get a flatter response



    welcome to
    Where b-stock is the new a-stock
    TEAM WEST

  11. #9
    Fi-brations's Avatar
    Fi-brations is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    Ya adjusting the xovers seem to help some, ill have to keep fooling with them. How do you get rid of your speakers being "visible", when the sound seems to be coming directly from them, my tweeters are slightly visible, but that may just be my imagination. I would think fooling around with the T/A some more would help right?





    04' Maxima Build
    Coming Soon

    Xtant 4180c, 2100b For Sale
    Alpine MRV-1507 For Sale
    Business with: davidtemple(x2), infamous_e46, Bettrn'Reverse, splaudio, TaylorFade, Tallc, Louisiana_Crx, RidnClean, b.mena, Mike Burke, Gameovercca, Ram_Designs, Double 07

  12. #10
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    6,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1160 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    yep, fooling with T/A will help. T/A shouldn't make a difference on the tweeters - the wavelengths are too small, attenuating the driver tweeter will help the center imaging.

    for T/A settings, start with the path length difference of each speaker. the manual for the HU should give an example. then tweak from there.



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

  13. Thanks Fi-brations thanked for this post
  14. #11
    okiedokie's Avatar
    okiedokie is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Age
    91
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    I just got a pair of the clarus mids
    It seems that the top end of the driver has a laid back sound more of.
    1-you can run them full range & lower your tweeter.
    2- they to get a processor.
    I know lots of people love these drivers, but I'm having a hard time liking there sound.
    They clip really easy, I'm sure if they are made well in the factory, but the glue o the surround came loose.
    They do have amazing midbass.




  15. #12
    trumpet's Avatar
    trumpet is online now Supporting Vendor trumpet is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    trumpet is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Langdon, ND
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,810
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1226 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fi-brations View Post
    Just installed my HAT C1s and L6v1s running active off of the xtant 4180c and eclipse cd7000

    The tweets are in spheres curtousy of @ @keep_hope_alive and the mids are in my doors in the factory location, 2003 ford explorer.
    I've been messing around with the xovers, and i like it a lot right now, i believe my mids are crossed at either 2.5khz of 3.15khz on a 12db/octave slope and my tweeters are crossed at 4khz on a 12db/octave slope (honestly though I have some trouble hearing the difference when going from 3.15khz-4khz-5khz) Perhaps someone can shed some light on that, but do these sound relatively normal?

    It all sounds pretty amazing, best speakers I have ever heard personally, but my experience is very limited. I have fooled around with t/a, but just adjusting my ear, no actual measurements. I can center the voice and level the sides evenly, but I don't really have an obvious grasps of any other instrumentalists other than the singer, im gonna try some better music, but I would think some of the music i listen to like metal, indie, and rock would have the necessary elements to aid in imaging.

    Is creating imaging further than just vocals going to take adjusting speaker location or what should I do?
    I would set your mid/tweeter crossovers to the same frequency, and I suggest 3.15 kHz first. For simplicity I would also keep the slopes the same. You're more likely to get the best clarity to vocals if you keep the slopes consistent. You can check this by listening to talk radio or a recording of someone speaking at a normal volume. Use a 24 dB slope on your subwoofer LPF and the HPF of your midrange. Listen to some music that you're really familiar with, but something that's not too intricate. Don't put on Avenged Sevenfold if you have Adele, for example. You could also download some reference music, such as the first Focal JM Labs disc, which has known accurate and dynamic recordings. This way you know for sure the vocalist is supposed to sound centered on the stage, whereas with mainstream recordings you can only assume the vocals are centered.

    Typically in rock music you're going to get a guitar to sound to the right of the vocalist, a second guitar is usually going to sound left of the vocalist, and drums are behind the rest of the band. Bass guitar will be less consistent as many of the notes are at frequencies our ears are not good at locating. If you can pick out each member of a 4 piece band you're in good shape. After that you can focus on taming an in-your-face guitar, fine-tuning the midbass presence by improving your installation, and on and on. A basic equalizer has no chance of getting you real depth to the sound stage, even with time alignment and level matching. You'll have peaks and nulls to the sound that even 31 bands of graphic eq on each speaker can't smooth.




    Small town service, family owned and operated for over 50 years. Our mobile friendly online store: store.513electronics.com
    Home to CDT Audio's Systems Design Specialist
    Perfect Fit Speaker Kits
    Our CDT Audio dealer store, Clarion,_JBL,_Pioneer,_DB Drive,_Metra,_T-Spec,_NAV-TV,_Crux
    My system: Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610, JBL GTO-751EZ, CDT 6.7"/4"/1.1" in the front doors, 4"/1.1" center channel, Audiomobile Elite 2212 12" ported, Clarion SRG-1622R rear fill

  16. Thanks keep_hope_alive thanked for this post
    Likes mr b, keep_hope_alive liked this post
  17. #13
    Fi-brations's Avatar
    Fi-brations is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    Update: I got my replacement clarus tweeter in, and fooled around with t/a. Omg...it's so perfect, voice sounds like its coming directly from the HU or just above it. I can easily pick out instruments from others and speaker locations have disappeared. It will be perfect once I put in the second xtant amp and have more power to the mids. Everything is crystal clear, just need some midbass, 40-50w isn't cutting it right now.





    04' Maxima Build
    Coming Soon

    Xtant 4180c, 2100b For Sale
    Alpine MRV-1507 For Sale
    Business with: davidtemple(x2), infamous_e46, Bettrn'Reverse, splaudio, TaylorFade, Tallc, Louisiana_Crx, RidnClean, b.mena, Mike Burke, Gameovercca, Ram_Designs, Double 07

  18. #14
    cablguy184's Avatar
    cablguy184 is offline SQ "White Lightning"



    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Rankin Co. Mississippi
    Age
    44
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    I should be headed up towards Memphis in a few months ... I sure would like to meet up for demos.



    Randal Johnson ... Comcast Xfinity ... 1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 Extended Cab ... 1949 Ford Custom Tudor Sedan
    Linear Power (TIPS) / Blues Car Audio ... Audio Technix ... Hyper Automotive LEDs and HIDs ... Mississippi Street Rod Association

  19. #15
    PHD - USA's Avatar
    PHD - USA is offline I sound better than you PHD - USA is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    PHD - USA is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Enon, Ohio
    Age
    23
    Posts
    6,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    692 Post(s)

    Re: Staging and Imaging?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fi-brations View Post
    Update: I got my replacement clarus tweeter in, and fooled around with t/a. Omg...it's so perfect, voice sounds like its coming directly from the HU or just above it. I can easily pick out instruments from others and speaker locations have disappeared. It will be perfect once I put in the second xtant amp and have more power to the mids. Everything is crystal clear, just need some midbass, 40-50w isn't cutting it right now.
    You should go to Freezefest, would love to hear everything!




    PHD Audiophile Systems Dealer


Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 3-way front stage and new wiring. (56k FTL)
    By ~Magick_Man~ in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 09-25-2006, 01:52 AM
  2. Embedding and Image
    By harvey in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 03:44 PM
  3. $4-500 to spend... Front stage and amps
    By halucinations in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 11:30 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum