Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51

Reload Thread: Mid level SQL Build Input.

  1. #31
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    Maybe when I get a new car I will go to those lengths to soundproof everything. Car's 13+ years old now... just not gonna get enough use out of it I think.







  2. #32
    kramer_212's Avatar
    kramer_212 is offline Music-Expression

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    Maybe when I get a new car I will go to those lengths to soundproof everything. Car's 13+ years old now... just not gonna get enough use out of it I think.
    i guess one day i just felt like trying it, seriously guarantee its quieter going down the road than a $400,000 Bentley. and of coarse nothing shakes.




  3. #33
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    Quote Originally Posted by kramer_212 View Post
    i guess one day i just felt like trying it, seriously guarantee its quieter going down the road than a $400,000 Bentley. and of coarse nothing shakes.
    It was a good day... :P




  4. #34
    kramer_212's Avatar
    kramer_212 is offline Music-Expression

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    It was a good day... :P
    yes and know it was an expensive day about 2 weeks later was a good day lol.




  5. #35
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    Quote Originally Posted by kramer_212 View Post
    yes and know it was an expensive day about 2 weeks later was a good day lol.
    It would be very difficult for me to pony up that much money when my speakers didn't even cost as much as the dampening. I bet it is something very cool though... Can you hear sirens when they drive by?




  6. #36
    CHEMMINS's Avatar
    CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Nevernever Land
    Posts
    4,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    No car is that soundproof.....the side glass doesn't come acoustical. All the noise you will get in cabin will be through the side glass if you somehow manage to get the rest of the car silent.

    Finding acoustical windshields is hard enough. They usually only come on the higher end vehicles. Ford seems to carry to most though.



    References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

    BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS



  7. #37
    kramer_212's Avatar
    kramer_212 is offline Music-Expression

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    It would be very difficult for me to pony up that much money when my speakers didn't even cost as much as the dampening. I bet it is something very cool though... Can you hear sirens when they drive by?
    i don't live in the hood lol im sure i could though, i replaced the window seals but it seems like the little noise that comes in is from/around the windows.




  8. #38
    mylows10's Avatar
    mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    monterey , ca
    Age
    51
    Posts
    18,630
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    Also look at some of the cdt Es 3 way sets




    pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

  9. #39
    kramer_212's Avatar
    kramer_212 is offline Music-Expression

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    Quote Originally Posted by CHEMMINS View Post
    No car is that soundproof.....the side glass doesn't come acoustical. All the noise you will get in cabin will be through the side glass if you somehow manage to get the rest of the car silent.

    Finding acoustical windshields is hard enough. They usually only come on the higher end vehicles. Ford seems to carry to most though.
    right, think i went with pcm brand.
    although i did put acoustical tint on the back/side windows or film i guess they call it

    HAVERKAMP sun protection film technology




  10. #40
    kramer_212's Avatar
    kramer_212 is offline Music-Expression

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    Also look at some of the cdt Es 3 way sets
    they look nice and seem to be decently priced.

    the biggest reason i like audison is every single component used in every one of there products are built in house, even the capacitors etc.....so quality control is all under one company roof.

    ---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by CHEMMINS View Post
    No car is that soundproof.....the side glass doesn't come acoustical. All the noise you will get in cabin will be through the side glass if you somehow manage to get the rest of the car silent.

    Finding acoustical windshields is hard enough. They usually only come on the higher end vehicles. Ford seems to carry to most though.
    but your right sound still comes through the windows.




  11. #41
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    5,920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    1. should i put a 6.5 and tweeters in the center or leave the 3 inchers.
    Just a 3" in the center is sufficient. More than that sacrifices placement and introduces phase interference issues. KISS

    2. 2 6.5s in front door or a 6.5 and an 8

    Don't mix sizes in the same airspace. I vote just one 8" midbass. KISS

    3. 3 way comp in rear doors or put them in the rear deck (fiberglessed into c-pillar)

    Why? Rear highs are not advised. Just the 3's are sufficient for rear fill.

    4. the bit ten seems to be a better option thoughts?

    A good choice if you want a center channel.

    5. any other suggestions (I;m staying with the voce series) as far as speaker amount/ location im fine with taking away or adding speakers.

    Less is better overall. Keep it simple. I see hundreds of hours of effort in this build.

    6. thinking active the bit ten has 8 channels 10 if you include the center and subwoofer. or should i do a passive system.

    Active



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

  12. Likes West liked this post
  13. #42
    kramer_212's Avatar
    kramer_212 is offline Music-Expression

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    1. should i put a 6.5 and tweeters in the center or leave the 3 inchers.
    Just a 3" in the center is sufficient. More than that sacrifices placement and introduces phase interference issues. KISS

    2. 2 6.5s in front door or a 6.5 and an 8

    Don't mix sizes in the same airspace. I vote just one 8" midbass. KISS

    3. 3 way comp in rear doors or put them in the rear deck (fiberglessed into c-pillar)

    Why? Rear highs are not advised. Just the 3's are sufficient for rear fill.

    4. the bit ten seems to be a better option thoughts?

    A good choice if you want a center channel.

    5. any other suggestions (I;m staying with the voce series) as far as speaker amount/ location im fine with taking away or adding speakers.

    Less is better overall. Keep it simple. I see hundreds of hours of effort in this build.

    6. thinking active the bit ten has 8 channels 10 if you include the center and subwoofer. or should i do a passive system.

    Active
    thanks secretly i was waiting for you to chime in.

    so you think i shouldn't use a 6.5 at all?

    and should i put an 8 or 6.5 and a 3 in the rear door or rear deck area?




  14. #43
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    5,920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    thing is, a 6.5 is fine in a 2-way system. it has enough range to cover 80Hz-4000Hz. but when you go 3-way the game changes. Now you have a dedicated midrange handling 250 and up. the midbass should focus on reproducing 60Hz and up. a good 6.5 can do this, but a comparable 8" can do it better. I will always prefer a single 8 over two 6.5. i measure (and hear) enough phase interference in a car as it is, no reason to make the problem worse. if you just want it loud, add speakers. if you want it to be accurate and natural, minimize the number of speakers. even the latter can easily leave your ears ringing.

    since you are heavily relying on the 3's to do most of the work - invest in them heavily. they should be the most expensive speaker. from there you're just adding a pair of 8's and a pair of tweeters. that's all you really NEED. Anything else is just adding speakers to say you added speakers - but they won't help the end result. the reason is that you don't have enough processing to address a 3-way active front and a 3-way active rear. going passive with them won't sound near as good and you'll lose midbass (despite the # of woofers) from phase interference alone.

    you will need 10 outputs though
    6 for the front left and right stage (midbass, mid, high)
    2 for the rear left and right (ideally L-R mix)
    1 for center
    1 for sub

    i have found that the tweeters don't need time alignment, and they could be on the same output channel as the midrange. so that does afford you the ability to reduce down to 8 channels if need be.

    a center requires processing to make it sound natural. you want to remove dedicated left and right channel information and only reproduce with is only in left and only in right. you still have level differences to play with (so IID is addressed) but that can come with aiming. IMO a center is only desired for 2-seat car judging. you don't need it from the driver's seat - you can get a center image just fine with T/A to one seat.



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

  15. #44
    kramer_212's Avatar
    kramer_212 is offline Music-Expression

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    thing is, a 6.5 is fine in a 2-way system. it has enough range to cover 80Hz-4000Hz. but when you go 3-way the game changes. Now you have a dedicated midrange handling 250 and up. the midbass should focus on reproducing 60Hz and up. a good 6.5 can do this, but a comparable 8" can do it better. I will always prefer a single 8 over two 6.5. i measure (and hear) enough phase interference in a car as it is, no reason to make the problem worse. if you just want it loud, add speakers. if you want it to be accurate and natural, minimize the number of speakers. even the latter can easily leave your ears ringing.

    since you are heavily relying on the 3's to do most of the work - invest in them heavily. they should be the most expensive speaker. from there you're just adding a pair of 8's and a pair of tweeters. that's all you really NEED. Anything else is just adding speakers to say you added speakers - but they won't help the end result. the reason is that you don't have enough processing to address a 3-way active front and a 3-way active rear. going passive with them won't sound near as good and you'll lose midbass (despite the # of woofers) from phase interference alone.

    you will need 10 outputs though
    6 for the front left and right stage (midbass, mid, high)
    2 for the rear left and right (ideally L-R mix)
    1 for center
    1 for sub

    i have found that the tweeters don't need time alignment, and they could be on the same output channel as the midrange. so that does afford you the ability to reduce down to 8 channels if need be.

    a center requires processing to make it sound natural. you want to remove dedicated left and right channel information and only reproduce with is only in left and only in right. you still have level differences to play with (so IID is addressed) but that can come with aiming. IMO a center is only desired for 2-seat car judging. you don't need it from the driver's seat - you can get a center image just fine with T/A to one seat.
    makes sence, maybe ill scratch the center channel and put a touch screen there.




  16. #45
    kramer_212's Avatar
    kramer_212 is offline Music-Expression

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mid level SQL Build Input.

    Ttt anybody else?




Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 03:24 PM
  2. WTB pair of 10" mid-level budget subs
    By meanman101 in forum Wanting to Buy (WTB) - Car Audio
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 08:22 PM
  3. mid level 12
    By pimp smokey in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 11:46 PM
  4. Good place to buy a mid level sony deck!?
    By jrmax in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2002, 09:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum