Closed Thread

Reload Thread: fatmat made my car ride worse?

jedge1.8t is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

fatmat made my car ride worse?

Hi, I just got done doing a soundproof attempt ot my audi TT. Its not completely finished yet but heres a few pics at the bottom.

I used fatmat which is cheaper to dynamat, I doubled layered it all over the car, roof floor, doors, trunk, just not firewall. and it significantly reduced the vibrations. On top the fat mat i layered everywhere with dynaliner or carpet jute (padding) to deaden the sound.

I also, which Im starting to regret dearly stuffed all the internal body frames with carpet padding then sprayed great stuff all inside to to adhesive it to feel solid rather than hollow echo vibration.

Now while I feel I almost eliminated all the outside sounds, my suspension and tire noise i feel has increased... like twice as much, the annoying thing is i hear it even with my windows down.

The big issue I have is my car sounds like it has cheap rims on it, but there the stocks and before i never had this issue. tires are sport v12s, but dont remember them being so loud.

So any ideas what i can do to resolve this? do you believe filling the body structure gaps with great stuff caused this??

I cant decide if the eliminated vibrations and outside noises opened just enhanced the road noise, or the fatmat, carpet padding and foaming the stucture pockets incresed the road noise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fatmat made my car ride worse?-floor.jpg   fatmat made my car ride worse?-floor.jpg   fatmat made my car ride worse?-amp.jpg  

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Re: fatmat made my car ride worse?

So you got more road noise after the install...

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

BFeezy is offline Sneakerhead

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bettr n' Revrse View Post
    So you got more road noise after the install...
    i think thats what hes saying too lol

Formerly LuckyDerDer
    Refs: JBGabriel, TeamPSI, dacheatham, psych0ticnemes1 x2, lys_dexik, Argent Audio, Jes 42, Pickup1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

I would think you're just imagining things.. lol. Or you're hearing a noise that was there before, but was masked by other noise that was reduced by the install.

Refs- DiabolicBass, nismos14,IonSQL,massiveaudiocw,sxpimpin,sundownz,8 7gr, nissan,Louie68,Tips,Trell,integra88,Ellsworthz,bas ebalz13,lil98cabrio,woofercooker,pro-rabbit,Louisiana_CRX,MANTI5,eL_wEEnIe,bubbagumper6 ,jco1385,95saturn,ace_800,micah_jones,assassin1840 ,beat-down69,RAM_Designs,whitedragon551,KTMrida4life

5. Likes CAT MAN liked this post
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch86 View Post
    I would think you're just imagining things.. lol. Or you're hearing a noise that was there before, but was masked by other noise that was reduced by the install.
    this

could try spraying fenderwells with rubber undercoating as that "might" help...

kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

what kind of car and what is the sidewall height on the tires?

13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

some things about noise:

1. as you eliminate one source, other sources become dominant and more noticable.
    2. sound travels easily through hard surfaces.
    3. as you change stiffness you change which frequencies are most easily transmitted.
    4. the best noise isolator is two layers of mass separated by dead airspace.
    5. all barriers have a resonance frequency in which sound is easily passed through.

carpet padding doesn't absorb much sound, but when stuffed in cavities it can help at some frequencies.
    expanding foam is useless and does more harm than good. as it hardens it increases sound transmission, not decreases, since it rigidly connects to surfaces that used to have an air-gap separating them.

if all you wanted to do was reduce road noise, you should have used Mass Loaded Vinyl, not FatMat.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Closed Thread