Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

OEM integration for max SQ

Hello! New to the board and want to introduce myself with a question that has me stumped.

I recently purchased a used Volvo S80 equipped with Dynaudio speakers/passive crossovers and powered by a class D Alpine amp/DSP fed by fiber optical digital input signals (no RCA outs). Blown away by the fundamental sound quality of the system EXCEPT that is clearly under powered and needs a sub.

I don't want to go active and don't need time alignment either and don't want to flatten the EQ curve and re-work it. Love it just the way it is. Dynaudio and Volvo engineers have done stunning work but apparently some penny pinching accountant decided the anemic class D amp is sufficient but it clearly isn't (for my taste anyway). I think my only option is taking a high level feed from the factory amp/DSP so what I am looking for is the cleanest, most unaltered signal possible to feed both a two channel Butler amp for mains, along with a sub amp. The only "processing" i need to for high pass filter to the sub. The existing speakers have passive crossovers voiced exactly the way I like them - just need more power.

I'm stumped because I can't decide between a processor such as an Audison Bit Ten which seems like a quality product but perhaps way overkill for what I need, or maybe a simple but high quality line level converter is a perfect solution? It is WAY more important to me to maintain signal integrity than to have gobs of processing power and capabilities. I am from the camp that simple, yet high quality components are preferred over complex designs with lower quality components.

So with that background and objective, is there an "ideal" solution or does every option come with compromises?

Worlddre is offline Big Darkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Re: OEM integration for max SQ

look into the navtv tm6 most preamp integration. It is the first processor of its kind. It plugs directly into the MOST fiber optic inputs at you amplifier and gives you un altered front, rear and sub preamp outputs. In that vehicle this will likely be the best signal you will get to your aftermarket amplifiers. Its still in testing so if you gave navtv a call stating what you want they will probably give you a hell of a deal on one as they are still looking for test subjects.

"humility in the face of overwhelming genius will obviously amount to hypocrisy"

DynFan is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Hey thanks, very interesting. I will give them a ring.

martiandancer31 is offline Front Towards Enemy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)

i wouldn't use a LOC if you want to maintain signal integrity. I'm sure you can buy amps with optical inputs, or a DAC unit with optical input and that will fit your needs much better.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

MD,
    Thanks but because the digital source is MOST, not toslink, there don't seem to be many/any options I can find for the specific Volvo model and year I have. Does anyone know if the fiber optical out signal from the deck has already been processed or is it a flat, 2 channel signal? Trying determine if the MOST converter by Motuslab "AGW Light" would be an option as well or do these things have to be programmed specifically for a make and model of vehicle. Thanks for any insight . . .

fasfocus00 is offline doITdaWHITEwayORdoITtwice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

so 2 channel amp for fronts (not active) and mono for bass, i'd do an Audiocontrol LC6i into an Audiocontrol 2XS. connect the speaker level inputs from the front tweets, front mids, and the factory sub into the LC6i. LC6i main into the 2XS with the factory 90hz crossover chip. 2XS High to your 2 channel and Low to your mono.

Here is my feedback Thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ght=fasfocus00

"If you ain't cheatin', You ain't trying"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

If navtvs tm6 couldnt help then the m0bridge DA1000 will grab the Most Signal before the factor amp like the tm6 would and give you front rear and sub out. And so you know the most signal in those vehicles in unaltered before it gets to the amplifier. All processing is done inside the amplifier so when you grab signal before the amp with one of the products i have suggested you are guaranteed an easily gotten full range signal whereas if you go after the amplifer with anyones loc you will need some sort of summing making the install a bit more of a pita. The LC6i included as if i recall it only sums for the sub channel and takes the rest as is.

"humility in the face of overwhelming genius will obviously amount to hypocrisy"

groundpound4200 is offline Da fuq did I just read?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DynFan View Post
    MD,
    Thanks but because the digital source is MOST, not toslink, there don't seem to be many/any options I can find for the specific Volvo model and year I have. Does anyone know if the fiber optical out signal from the deck has already been processed or is it a flat, 2 channel signal? Trying determine if the MOST converter by Motuslab "AGW Light" would be an option as well or do these things have to be programmed specifically for a make and model of vehicle. Thanks for any insight . . .
    I'd put money on it being a highly EQ'ed signal coming out of that fiber optic cable. Many of the higher end OEM integration units have capabilities to defeat this preset EQ

2007 Honda Pilot 2008 Nissan Maxima
    2 RD D9s strapped @ 1 ohm Sundown SAZ-1500D V.3
    2 Sundown Nightshade V.2s 2 10" Atomic APX
    Sundown SAX-125.2 x 2 Sundown SAX-100.4
    Sundown NeoPro 6.5"s, JL ZR Tweets Sundown NeoPros

RIP Taylor aka NewAgeKing, you are missed!

tc300 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    459 Post(s)

This is gona be an install for an "expert"!!!! Lol

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by groundpound4200 View Post
    I'd put money on it being a highly EQ'ed signal coming out of that fiber optic cable. Many of the higher end OEM integration units have capabilities to defeat this preset EQ

Ya i was thinkn the same thing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by groundpound4200 View Post
    It's not....signal out of any MOST radio is full range 2 channel digital audio. All processing is done within the factory amplifier. Using either the M0bridge DA1000 or Navtv TM6 is the only way to grab that untouched un molested digital full range signal

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I talked to NavTV and they are supposed to get back with me to confirm if compatible with my Volvo. The Mobridge number was busy for hours so gave up and will try again later. Also talked to dealer for Motuslab about their AGW Lite/Plus. Feedback their was that the MOST interface has been problematic so he steered me towards a Mosconi processor from the amp out signal. Back to where I started. I will see what NavTV has to say and keep trying a while longer with Mobridge and if no luck there I guess my default is the $440 Audison Bit Ten I guess

BassMechkanic is offline the OLD in Old School

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

look at the JBL MS8, but cant go wrong with the Audison piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

there are 14-15 mobridge dealers in denver give one of them a call they may be able to help a bit more. Sounds Good Audio is on top of that list.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Update: There is a chance I will be beta testing the Nav-TV Volvo unit, should find out Monday. The Mobridge number forwarded me to Rockford Fosgate who is their master distributor in the US. They were suprised to hear that Volvo uses the MOSTbus system and also no idea why Mobridge didnt list it as an option. I have emailed Mobridge in Austrailia to see what they say.

I'll give one of the Denver dealers a call but I'm guessing they don't know either.
    Cheers

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Got the first production NAV-TV Most Preamp Processor for Volvo headed my way. Sounds very promising.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast