Slim line speaker build

hempy
10+ year member

bass wiener
nola
Making a set of Zaph's Slimline wall mount speakers for a 5.1. Had the parts sitting around for about a year. Didn't get pics until most of the way through the build. They're probabyl out of order and whatnot, but I'll caption and post more later.

Edit:

Ok, so these are for a 5ch setup for my girlfriend's dad. He's paying for them, and they've been pretty interesting to build.

I plan to paint them an off-white color that matches the living room walls, with a satin or flat clear coat on top. The tops and bottoms are pine, and will be stained and finished in satin polyurethane. I'm not sure of the color just yet, as the floors and cabinets are different colors (natural oak vs cherry). I may also scrap the pine and recut new ones out of oak. I'm not so sure the pine is dense enough to not resonate or something.

The first four panels I made to bend all failed in one way or another. I had cut the kerfs about 1/32" too shallow and they cracked when bent. I wound up scrapping them all and remaking all new panels. The second set took me 4 hrs instead of 12.

He wound up being a bit more interested in aesthetics than performance, as he has decided to make certain "changes" to the plans. When I made the first four panels, I used the right driver spacing, and he thought it was too thin and didn't look right or something and insisted on separating them an inch on the next ones. I'm guessing it'll raise the best listening angle or something. They're his speakers, so I guess I can't complain. The other change was rear-mounting the driver like I had done on other speakers. I didn't really say anything about it though, as I prefer it myself and I haven't ever really noticed anything negative about rear-mounting them.

The drivers: Aura NS3-193 & Dayton ND20TB-4

IMG_6513.jpg

Crossover sections done for the night

IMG_6523.jpg

Tweeter sections

IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_6521.jpg

Solder station

IMG_6520.jpg

Bending leads

IMG_6517.jpg

Separated crossover components

IMG_6515.jpg

Placement on short side

IMG_6514.jpg

Gasket for backs

IMG_6510.jpg

One of the orignal 4 panels

IMG_6509.jpg

Cracks on the original panels

IMG_6508.jpg

Scrapped panel

IMG_6507.jpg

Pile of scraps and failures

IMG_6506.jpg

Pine top and bottom

IMG_6505.jpg

Woofer section placement

IMG_6504.jpg

Kerfs

IMG_6503.jpg

Back shot

IMG_6502.jpg

Xover progress

IMG_6501.jpg

Back panel with predrilled and countersunk holes

IMG_6500.jpg

Woofer sections done

IMG_6499.jpg

Back testfit

IMG_6498.jpg

Nice and flush

IMG_6497.jpg

The short sides all look rougher than the long ones

IMG_6496.jpg

Tweeter section placement

IMG_6495.jpg

IMG_6493.jpg

I also has some progress on these this weekend as well. I went to the shop on Friday to check out a totalled Jeep to see what was worth salvaging. Lots of nice interior. And a back bumper. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I also found the speakers in the paint booth, painted and dry. But there was a small issue. They were gray. I'm guessing he told the paint guy off-white (they were supposed to be a cream-colored off white, because the same color he uses in every **** house he lives in/renovates. I guss he paint guy decided it meant off white as in slightly grey...I dunno.

I asked him, numerous times, if we could repaint the, and if he was okay with the color, and hesaid he liked it, which was exactly not what I wanted to hear. I mean, I know they're not mine, but **** do I hate that color. It almost looks like someone just sprayed clear over primer.

Sigh...

The tops annd bottoms are all glued on, and next I'm going to hit the whole thing with a satin clear coat. Then I can put the croosvers in and finish them up. Still unsure how I'm going to mount them. I'll probably just do what Zaph did on his, which is flush mount some picture hangars.

IMG_6974.jpg

IMG_6975.jpg

Nice work. It's too bad about the paint job, I don't think it looks the *best* but it still looks **** good. Overall build quality is great

Be sure to update with pictures once they're mounted and you've had a chance to listen to them

I'm getting close with these.

I got a can of satin clear from Lowe's, since it wasn't going to be worth it for the paint guy to mix a batch of flat clear just for these. But it actually worked out much better than I thought it would have. Just enough of a dullness. It also brought the wood out a bit.

Spraying this stuff was a little strange for me though. I'm use to thin buildup over time, but with this stuff you have to pretty much just pile it on all at once. I usually ruin stuff like that with glossy clear, but for some reason that was how it worked best.

IMG_7013.jpg

Drying

IMG_7014.jpg

IMG_7015.jpg

IMG_7016.jpg

IMG_7017.jpg

IMG_7018.jpg

IMG_7019.jpg

IMG_7026.jpg

IMG_7029.jpg

IMG_7030.jpg

Ok, so I'm really starting to like the color. I think it's just the clear, but they look pretty **** good in satin.

**** you're good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/omg.gif.05aa02c3095d6ce9338996654eca0863.gif

Although I do have to ask, what kind of response are you getting with those NS3's mounted below the baffle surface? I can imagine some massive baffle diffraction step issues with some of the radiating area just running into wood //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

**** you're good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/omg.gif.05aa02c3095d6ce9338996654eca0863.gif
Although I do have to ask, what kind of response are you getting with those NS3's mounted below the baffle surface? I can imagine some massive baffle diffraction step issues with some of the radiating area just running into wood //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
Haven't seen you around in a while. Not really sure the effects from rear-mounting, but I just can't bring myself to put that ugly ass stamped frame and exposed surround out front on a nice build.

I don't have a calibrated mic or anything, so I can't really test with any accuracy, but I imagine it would mainly just **** off-axis response. The mtm I did with them is VERY directional.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.