i need 3000 watts!!!!! ma audio amp???

no i am not trying to compete. well at least not yet. my system is being built around daily driving not competition. any suggestions now???
yeah 1/2 the power at most that you are looking to throw out. 3kw daily is dumb man. my amp is fully capable to do 2900+ but what is my daily wattage?? 1kw no need for more in reality. 3kw daily will be terrible business on electrics lol. get 2 1500 watt amps if you really NEED 3kw. no need for that kind of power unless it's comp.

adam

yea but i want to have to best system around. the hardest system that i am trying to outdo is 4 solarbaric L7's being pushed by 3 1000w amps. not sure what type of amps, he wont tell me). that and a w7 pushed by a 1000/1 jl. i want my system to be a little bit louder than unbearable. i want it sound rich and deep and low for normal listening levels (normal for me is above average //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif..) and i want to be able to turn it up for a few seconds to show off. that is why i want to power this big amp with all it can take. also, i am going to be upgrading to one of two xxx15"s in the future (around 6 months). would one hifo bx1500d be enough to suit my needs with this awt15x(3000 w rms)????

ps. thanks for the advice it is really aprreciated.

Well lets just get one thing straight... unless the guy with the 4 Solobarics has them in a horrific box or unproperly alighned box then you will not be able to beat it. Just because of the simple fact that he has more surface area and is running around the same amount of wattage as you total. But you could probably out do the W7. I do agree with you with wanting to give the amp it's RMS... you are more likely to blow a sub by underpowering than overpowering ( unless you take that too far ). One should satisfy it for the 6 months that you will be using it. And the US Amp or Crossfire amps are a good choice too if you want to look into those.

Well lets just get one thing straight... unless the guy with the 4 Solobarics has them in a horrific box or unproperly alighned box then you will not be able to beat it. Just because of the simple fact that he has more surface area and is running around the same amount of wattage as you total. But you could probably out do the W7. I do agree with you with wanting to give the amp it's RMS... you are more likely to blow a sub by underpowering than overpowering ( unless you take that too far ). One should satisfy it for the 6 months that you will be using it. And the US Amp or Crossfire amps are a good choice too if you want to look into those.
to bobo disregaurd anything this man says in the future. no offense dude buy underpowering a speaker is bad since when?? i never knew that driving a porsche at 55 would damage it;).

adam

Well im sorry, but it is a know fact by many of the PROFESSIONALS in the car audio industry that you run a greater risk of clipping the amp when underpowering a sub. You wouldn't hurt a porshe by driving it a 55 but is a porshe a Subwoofer. It is MUCH easier to cause clipping due to underpowering especially at volumes created by that much power due to the lack of sensitivity to the human ear at high volume levels. But if an amp is able to put out a clear signal with no clipping at that same wattage level then the risk of subwoofer damage is GREATly reduced. But ofcoarse you still have to look at the thermal capabilities of your sub. You can underpower a sub with no problem but you have to take extreame care when adjusting the gains. But don't listen to me i know nothing on this matter :hilarious

the L7's are 15's. Hes got them in 4 sealed enclosures in the back of his cab of his f-150. he has a yellow top under the hood and runs 1/0 wire and thats bout it. i dont know his numbers but i know he has competed once. hes more into show as he has is truck dropped on bags and ****. put since they are in sealed boxes that will be my one advantage. im am going to upgrading to 2 15 xxx or brahma. hopefully then with a well built box and setup i will beat him.

someone said to strap two visonik 900xd to the sub. what exactly do you mean to strap two amps and how do you do it. im guess it just means running them together but anyways im still trying to find out how to run two amps to one sub without just running one to each VC cuz i dont want to blow my subs.

and yes i have read alot about underpowering subs. some people swear on their kids that it can damage it and some people swear that it cant.

i am really leanign toward buying two 1500 w amps since they will work great with two 15 xxx's or brahma.

thanks for all the help and input.

oh yea the upgrading to the 2 15s isnt in the near future. more like 2-3 months or so. but if 2 1500 watt amps wont work the the audiobahn awt, then it will be sooner than that cuz i dont want to buy amps twice.

You are basicly telling everyone that running your sub on a low volume is more damaging then throwing more wattage at it then it can handle. Are you going to damage your subs for playing them quietly? Well no, not unless you are either a complete moron, or you are insanely smart. For the most part overpowering is more stressfull the underpowering given a situation that the person doesnt know much about what they are doing.

Well im sorry, but it is a know fact by many of the PROFESSIONALS in the car audio industry that you run a greater risk of clipping the amp when underpowering a sub. You wouldn't hurt a porshe by driving it a 55 but is a porshe a Subwoofer. It is MUCH easier to cause clipping due to underpowering especially at volumes created by that much power due to the lack of sensitivity to the human ear at high volume levels. But if an amp is able to put out a clear signal with no clipping at that same wattage level then the risk of subwoofer damage is GREATly reduced. But ofcoarse you still have to look at the thermal capabilities of your sub. You can underpower a sub with no problem but you have to take extreame care when adjusting the gains. But don't listen to me i know nothing on this matter :hilarious
yeah an amp is more likely to clip when underpowering a sub. **** that's a smart amp you have their b/c last i checked mine didn't know if the sub they were sending signal to was the "wattage" it sent out. now yes in the situation you get a moron running a 200watt amp to something and they play a volume master yes it will clip. in a normal situation someone will not buy a big power sub and match it with a low power amp. wattage has become a cheap thing to achieve now so 1kw is easily had for 250.

adam

Im NOT saying that because the wattage is low that that is causing the damaging. Im saying that it is much easier to send an amp into clipping when underpowering a sub. I have underpowered subs but i first absolutly made sure that there was 0 clipping ( to a certain extent-below 20 hz doesn't count), the only thing i was trying to say was to be careful adjusting the gains. Im not talking about instantaneous burning of a voice coil im talking about over a long period of time like 1 - 3 months, maybe 4.

You guys took what i said completely out of context... and i don't feel like explaining the whole amp/sub/power/heat deal. You guys thought i meant that you shouldn't never send less than the posted rms. I did not mean that, i meant that you run a greater risk of burning the voice coil if things are not properly adjusted and the proper precautions taken in installation. And especially for a friggin 3000 w rms sub... heat obviously isn't that much of a problem. But sorry for being such an arse but i love little arguments like this, it keeps the little bit of brains i got left working //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/moon.gif.9d317aec3339ffe7fde0638df52c628a.gif

I'll get back on this one in the morning.

How about we all stop using the term "underpowering" because it is so **** misleading?

I think we all agree that clipping is caused by driving an amp beyond its limits; it doesn't matter if the amp is 15w or 1500w. That little 15w amp can probably push 45w if you max out the gain and don't mind the insane amount of distortion that occurs. But to say that a driver that is supposedly capable of taking 3000w will be hurt by a

Do I know if the rating of 3000w is believable? Nope. If that was the true thermal limit, would I butcher the driver by doing what I stated above? Hell no, but I would at least know it was capable of handling it without being burnt up in a few days or a few years.

Alright heresy, you supply a sub, and ill crank 1/3 of the RMS of the sub for power, we'll see how fast i can damage it.

Dont think it can be done? Think again... Ill have them coils burning on fire from heat caused by the distortion

Alright heresy, you supply a sub, and ill crank 1/3 of the RMS of the sub for power, we'll see how fast i can damage it.
Dont think it can be done? Think again... Ill have them coils burning on fire from heat caused by the distortion
How about we use one of your subs instead. :p

Under all but the most extreme circumstances, you will no blow a 3000w sub with a 1000w amp even if it is clipped the hell. I'm sure we could find a way to kill the driver (actually, I have an idea on how to do it right now), but it's going to take some effort and I highly doubt it would occur outside of one of us purposely trying to thermally damage the coils.

"The most RMS power an amp can output on a %100 clipped signal(square wave) is 2 times its full unclipped RMS value. "

Here is where I am getting my information from: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=134964&perpage=15&highlight=clipping%20and%20underpower&pagenumber=1

That is a nice long thread they had on CAF.com about this. Included in that thread are about another half dozen or so links to various websites and documents that explain further explain the reality behind clipping.

This topic has been beaten to death many times on all the audio forums. It's moot now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.