Pro Installers: Need help badly!!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Frankensuby
10+ year member

I'm in Ur F0rumZ
PA
I am getting tired and frustrated with the car I am currently installing a system in. I have all the wiring run, and everything installed. Since the first time I installed the amps, specifically a speaker amp (Power Acoustik PS4-240), I had noise come through the speaker. At first, it was even with the engine off and HU off. I seemed to have eradicated that problem with the engine off, but now I have really bad engine whine coming through the speaker amp when the engine is on.

Wires run: The wires are run with the power and the remote going down the middle of the car (underneath console), 2 sets of RCA's down the left side, and one set run down the right. I have a 4 gauge power cable running back to a distribution block, splitting the power to 2-8 gauge wires, powering the amp.

Amp setup: Both amps are screwed to the back of the seats, with both being grounded to the 2 bolts holding down the rear set (underneath). I cleaned up the 2 ground spots greatly. The grounds were upgraded to 2 sets of 4 gauge instead of the original 8 gauge when the noise became an issue.

Amps: Mono Pioneer GM7200 ; Power Acoustik PS4-240 speaker amp

I have cleaned up all the ground spots in the entire car. I went over the engine bay today and cleaned up every ground spot I found. To no avail, in fact, It almost seemed louder.

I really need help with this. I installed my own similar setup in my car, and had 0 issues like this. I have followed the same exact routine I did with my car.

Possible theories:

1. Ground loop? I have cleaned up all grounds, but nothing is working.

2. HU ground? Is it possible that the HU might not be ground correctly and it is finding the ground through the RCA's?

3. The ground points for my amps are bolted to the same framework for the seat, but on opposite sides. Would this cause any issues?

4.Solution: Big 3? I bought everything for the Big 3, all I have to do is install. Would this help greatly?

5. Solution: Inverter(?): Some guys on here suggested something that eliminates the ground loop or interference by putting it in-line...?

The car is a 1998 Subaru Legacy, for anyone who has one or who has worked on them in the past.

Almost 100% sure it is the RCA grounding issue. I know there is a thread on here with it (I read it through the NASIOC forum link as I posed the same thread there) but I cannot see the picture as work has random pictures blocked for some reason.

Do I wrap the wire around ALL RCA pre-outs? Such as if I want to ground the 1-4 channel preouts (front and rear outputs) do I wrap the wire against all 4 preouts, and then connect the to the chassis? I really wish I could see that picture.

EDIT:Oh Crap, just realized I never said the HU. It is a Pioneer DEH-p7800MP Head unit, in which the thread around here is actually specifically for. That's why I'm almosy 100% sure this is the scenario.

Is there anyway you can run the power/remote lines one one side and all the RCAs on the complete opposite??? I know that when i moved my power wire from the middle to the driver side of my truck my noise went away.

^^^ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/clap.gif.178cba2c538c68e720c727fcb024b19c.gif That's the one!

As far as the power cable being an issue. I'm not running anything that could run an X-ray machine, so I doubt there is enough electro-radiation to reach my RCA's and cause interference //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif 440 RMS at MAX running through a fully shielded 4 gauge PC should not be an issue. The closest the power cable gets to any of my other wiring is through the dash, and I checked that by separating the RCA's and PC as far as possible, and nothing changed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.